• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalism vs. Universism

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Back in midtwenties, I became aware of a new movement getting underway. It was a religio-philosophical Universism is Alive! • View topic - What is Universism? that called itself "Universism". To my knowedge it was launched by a fellow named Ford Vox, who was, at the time, a deist. Although I was very sympathetic to the movement, I saw no reason to join it. I was tired of religion from back in my fundamentalist days and I also feared that the goal of this new movement would backfire in its attempts to unite all freethinkers. One problem was that some secularists, who consider themselves freethinkers, are openly contemptuous of anything smacking of religion or spirituality.

Now that I am happily involved in the UU community, I wonder about the "Universist" community. It seemed to crash some time ago, although there are members of this community still around today.

I was wondering what the big differences between the Unitarian Universalists and the Universists are? It seemed to me that the Universists were simply trying to reinvent the wheel, when one (ours!) already existed. I am not sure what the differences between the two communities and their approaches to spirituality are. Has anyone ever heard of them? If so, what is your opinion of them?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was a member of their forum for a bit... I wasn't impressed. Got the impression that most of them were just there to find allies in their crusade against organized religion... and oblivious to the irony of that.