• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Unitarian Universalism] Universalism

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
If you really want to go after a sacred cow, you might challenge the concept of universalism.
Who's sacred cow? :p A lot of UUs don't believe in universal salvation. (I do, but a lot don't.)

You can start with the universalist assumption that a loving god wouldn't condemn anyone to an eternal hell but still reach conclusions other than universal salvation. If the hindus are correct, the we get to do it all over and over (and over and over) again until we get it right. If the muslims are correct, the unjust go to hell for atonement, but not permanent punishment; eventually merciful allah permits them to enter heaven.
Hosea Ballou argued that every gets into heaven right after death, but many subsequent Universalists argued that, for the sake of justice, there was a period of atonement first. So the Muslim view is really not that different. And if atonement means working off past karma, the Hindu view is not all that different either.

I don't see universalism as saying "everyone gets into heaven." (Since I don't believe in an afterlife, that interpretation wouldn't make much sense.) I see universalism as saying that there is no one that is beyond redemption. Whoever you are, no matter what you've done, if you wish to make amends and be in right relations again, then you can start. It doesn't happen right away. But it's never too late to start.

I also see universalism as saying that whatever conception of "heaven" that we have, it must include everyone. There has to be room for everyone, even the people with whom we disagree, even the people who have been unkind, unjust. This is something that many people, including those who consider themselves liberal, cannot accept. Like I said, not all UUs are universalists. Many are not. Imo, universalism, if taken seriously, is by far more radical than unitarianism.

Trey of Diamonds

Yep, I'm not Universalist at all. I believe that if there is a Heaven then there must be a Hell. Not that I believe in the classical version of Heaven but there can't be salvation without damnation. The universe must have balance or it will implode. :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't believe in Heaven or salvation, or even theism, but I'm still Universalist (if you stretch it a bit ;)). I believe we're all headed to the same state of being. What that will look like is up to us. I have faith that we will achieve the Beloved Community.

Karl R

Who's sacred cow? :p A lot of UUs don't believe in universal salvation. (I do, but a lot don't.)
At least 40% or 50% of the congregation of my church identifies themselves as universalist, and half the church traditionally believes in universalism.

Can you think of anything else that comes close to being a sacred cow, given that Challupa wrote about (and will be speaking about) embracing diverse religious beliefs?

That's as close to a uniform, strongly held belief as I could come up with.

Trey of Diamonds

Can you think of anything else that comes close to being a sacred cow,

No, but I don't think UUs have a sacred cow, in fact, I kind of thought that was the point of being UU. But, having said that, I understand what you're trying to get at and I agree. :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
At least 40% or 50% of the congregation of my church identifies themselves as universalist, and half the church traditionally believes in universalism.

Can you think of anything else that comes close to being a sacred cow, given that Challupa wrote about (and will be speaking about) embracing diverse religious beliefs?

That's as close to a uniform, strongly held belief as I could come up with.
So a 50/50 split constitutes a sacred cow amongst UUs? ;)

I'd say that A LOT more UUs agree on Human Agency than they do universalism.