• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

union of the soul

as i understand it, hinduism teaches the gnosis of the atman's identity with the brahman [soul with god.] Yet Other traditons such as catholicism, orthodox christian and sufi say that the soul can attain union but is NOT fundamentally or eternally identical with God [if i have understood them correctly.] Is there ultimately any difference between these two views? Are they both saying the same thing in a different way? Is there a way of harmonising both views?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I think there's a difference because on the one hand it is identical, on the other hand, it is not. Perhaps one way of harmonizing them is God's Omnipresent nature. There is no place where God is not, therefore God is also inside of us - the physical "us" that it, because our real nature is Spirit.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, there is a difference. Even among different schools of Hinduism, some are dualist (Dvaita) and others, non-dualist (advaita).

Dvaitis maintain that the soul always retains a degree of individual identity, that there will always be a sort of Deity-Worshiper hierarchy.
This is the general position of the Abrahamic faiths, as well as, (for familiar example) the Krishna Consciousness people you may have seen chanting on street corners.

Advaitis consider any discontinuity between the Universal Soul and the individual consciousness to be illusory. They believe that, ultimately, there is only a single, Universal Consciousness (Brahman) extant in the Universe, that, in essence, the Universe is no more than a dream of this Consciousness.

asperillus

Yes, I think there is a difference.
From a Catholic view point (the one I'm most familiar with) union with God in the sense we're talking about is not the natural state of a human being, God's gift of grace is required for union to take place. Also once union takes place identity is not lost, the example St Teresa of Avila gave, I don't have the exact quote was something like, is that we are like a sponge that has been immersed into the water of the Divine.

On the other hand, as I understand it, a human soul is Divine and is identified with the Divine without distinction.

I think we can pick a line of similarity between both positions. I think that in both cases the purpose of religious practice and life, is come to the fullest knowlege of God as possible.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
From a Catholic view point (the one I'm most familiar with) union with God in the sense we're talking about is not the natural state of a human being, God's gift of grace is required for union to take place. Also once union takes place identity is not lost, the example St Teresa of Avila gave, I don't have the exact quote was something like, is that we are like a sponge that has been immersed into the water of the Divine.

On the other hand, as I understand it, a human soul is Divine and is identified with the Divine without distinction.
I'm surprised at how closely that resembles my belief.