• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unforgivable Sins

Luminous

non-existential luminary
This is a Thread for all religions to post their unforgiveable sins, now...I believe that Christianity has 2 so... we can start there. It would also do some good if people debate exactly what those sins are, what makes them unforgivable and what evidence there is that they are unforgivable, etc.

MurphtheSurf

This is a Thread for all religions to post their unforgiveable sins, now...I believe that Christianity has 2 so... we can start there. It would also do some good if people debate exactly what those sins are, what makes them unforgivable and what evidence there is that they are unforgivable, etc.

I know about active opposition to God's will and purposes (grieving the holy spirit)
What is the other one?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Blaspheming the Holy Spirit. But I want you to provide some evidence (scriptural, etc) that it is unforgivable.
Or evidence that God's will is not always done, and thus it is a do-able sin.
I want Christians to tell me, or to show me that there is only one unforgivable sin; because they should know more about Christianity than me, and I have no scripture to back up my claim, just faint memories of what sins there are, according to Christianity.

Misty

A 'sin' which which is pretty unforgiveable is using your belief system to try to frighten children and the vulnerable into getting 'saved'. That is pretty evil, imo.

The Holy Spirit is a silly concept! Is saying that an unforgiveable sin? :D

joea

Oshoyoi
What is unforgivable sin and who forgives who ?...to whom to ask, and to whom to pray ?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
God forgives all sins except associating partners with Him.

Allah says in the Quran: "Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed." (4:48)

Misty

God forgives all sins except associating partners with Him.

Allah says in the Quran: "Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed." (4:48)

What does that mean?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I do not believe there is such a thing as an unforgivable sin.

I do think we reap what we sow, either in this life or the next (so we should not do harm to others, because harm will befall us - but human empathy says we should not harm one another anyway, and even if I did not believe in any reward or punishment, I would still not go and harm another).

Additionally, it is my belief we can "work off" (for lack of a better term) bad karma by worship, doing good deeds for others, and avoiding harm (excluding for protection purposes, in other words, you should always defend yourself, family, the innocent, etc) when possible.

idea

Question Everything
1. shedding of innocenct blood
2. denying the Holy Ghost

(
Guide to the Scriptures | U Unpardonable Sin.:Entry)
UNPARDONABLE SIN. See also Blaspheme, Blasphemy; Holy Ghost; Murder; Sons of Perdition
The sin of denying the Holy Ghost, a sin that cannot be forgiven.
Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men, Matt. 12:31–32 (Mark 3:29; Luke 12:10). It is impossible for those who were made partakers of the Holy Ghost to renew them again unto repentance, Heb. 6:4–6. If we sin wilfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, Heb. 10:26. If ye deny the Holy Ghost and know that ye deny it, this is a sin which is unpardonable, Alma 39:5–6 (Jacob 7:19). They have no forgiveness, having denied the Only Begotten Son, having crucified him unto themselves, D&C 76:30–35. The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven, which is shedding innocent blood after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, D&C 132:26–27.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It means that one should believe that God is one and only One and there is no other deity beside Him.

I suspect that that was written so that Muslims would believe Christians were sinners.

Though of course Christians do not believe that God has Partners.

The confusion is over the concept of the Trinity.

Misty

1. shedding of innocenct blood
2. denying the Holy Ghost

(Guide to the Scriptures | UUnpardonable Sin.:Entry)
UNPARDONABLE SIN. See also Blaspheme, Blasphemy; Holy Ghost; Murder; Sons of Perdition
The sin of denying the Holy Ghost, a sin that cannot be forgiven.
Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men, Matt. 12:31–32 (Mark 3:29; Luke 12:10). It is impossible for those who were made partakers of the Holy Ghost to renew them again unto repentance, Heb. 6:4–6. If we sin wilfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, Heb. 10:26. If ye deny the Holy Ghost and know that ye deny it, this is a sin which is unpardonable, Alma 39:5–6 (Jacob 7:19). They have no forgiveness, having denied the Only Begotten Son, having crucified him unto themselves, D&C 76:30–35. The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven, which is shedding innocent blood after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, D&C 132:26–27.

All that seems nonsense to me, and can only have come out of a convoluted human mind!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not believe that any sins are unforgivable.
That would be setting limits on God's Mercy.

Many of the "rules" and "limits" in Christianity were set by men trying to rationalise conflicting Biblical writings with "Tradition"
They were not commands of either Jesus or directly from God.

Misty

I do not believe that any sins are unforgivable.
That would be setting limits on God's Mercy.

Many of the "rules" and "limits" in Christianity were set by men trying to rationalise conflicting Biblical writings with "Tradition"

I agree

idea

Question Everything

directly from Jesus:

(this is Jesus speaking)
(New Testament | Matthew12:31 - 32)
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Jesus speaking again...
(New Testament | Mark3:29)
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness,

Jesus again...

(New Testament | Luke12:10)
10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

This explains better what it is:
(New Testament | Hebrews6:4 - 6)
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

denying the Holy Spirit is basically - if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt who God is, if you have "have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come" and then reject it, after you are given a sure knowledge of heaven and the things therein and refuse it - don't want to partake in it, then you will not be forced to go to heaven. Very few people "have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come" so few need worry about this one.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
The shedding of innocent blood:

(Guide to the Scriptures | MMurder.:Entry)
MURDER. See also Cain; Capital Punishment
To kill a person unlawfully and intentionally. Murder is a sin condemned from earliest times (Gen. 4:1–12; Moses 5:18–41).
Whoever sheds a man's blood shall have his blood shed by man, Gen. 9:6 (JST, Gen. 9:12–13; Ex. 21:12; Alma 34:12). Thou shalt not kill, Ex. 20:13 (Deut. 5:17; Matt. 5:21–22; Mosiah 13:21; D&C 59:6). Jesus said, thou shalt do no murder, Matt. 19:18. Murderers shall have their part in the second death, Rev. 21:8. Ye are murderers in your hearts, 1 Ne. 17:44. Wo to the murderer who kills deliberately, 2 Ne. 9:35. God has commanded that men should not murder, 2 Ne. 26:32. Murder is an abomination to the Lord, Alma 39:5–6. He that kills shall not have forgiveness, D&C 42:18. Any person who kills shall be delivered up to the laws of the land, D&C 42:79.

(Old Testament | Genesis9:6)
6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

(Old Testament | Exodus21:12)
12 He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

(Old Testament | Exodus20:13)
13 Thou shalt not kill.

(New Testament | Matthew5:21)
21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

(New Testament | Revelation21:8)
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

so... yes, second death exists... there had better be a good reason for those who end up there.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 42:18)
18 And now, behold, I speak unto the church. Thou shalt not kill; and he that kills shall cnot have forgiveness in this world, nor in the world to come.

so those in the church who know better, and still decide to kill anyways - we are responsible for acting on what we know. If you don't know any better? sure we make mistakes. But if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt, and still go around killing people? sorry charlie...

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
A 'sin' which which is pretty unforgiveable is using your belief system to try to frighten children and the vulnerable into getting 'saved'. That is pretty evil, imo.

The Holy Spirit is a silly concept! Is saying that an unforgiveable sin? :D
Indeed, to me the most horrible sin would have to be blatant ignorance to truth.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
now, im not sure how any of the religions view this but: wouldn't suicide be an unforgivable sin by definition?
so far ~
biblical Christianity: unforgivable to Blaspheme the Holy Spirit
Mormonism: unforgivable to murder and Blaspheme Holy Spirit
Islam: Unforgivable to deny the oneness of God, (and Blaspheme Holy Spirit, depending)
other Christianity: No unforgivable Sins.
Correct me if im wrong...are there unforgiveable sins in "Glory"?a.k.a Bahai'ism?
what about unforgivable sins in left hand path and other religions?

Judaism: No unfrogivable Sins
Sufi'ism: unforgivable to waste time(what ever punishment that entails, likely a punishment in of itself)
Buddhism: unforgivable to remain unenlightened.