• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment at 17 year low...

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Okay. Someone tell me how this is a bad thing and how Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it....I'm waiting...

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Okay. Someone tell me how this is a bad thing and how Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it....I'm waiting...

Real data to support your conclusion? (Hint: That does not mean a bunch of graphs you misinterpreted. I mean actual data, like real data.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It's not a bad thing, but I'm not sure how much Trump can be credited with it.

But as for the "unemployment rate," I've always considered to be a deceptive figure because it's not calculated in any meaningful way.

Doing a bit of checking on a few sites and number crunching, I have calculated that the US population of those aged 18-64 was approximately 207 million in 2016 (based on US Census data). According to the BLS, there were approximately 124 million full-time employees in the US during the same year.

Out of 207 million, that would leave 83 million people unemployed, which would be an unemployment rate of about 40%.

To try to calculate it any other way is blatantly dishonest.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Are you then going to give Trump "credit" for the fact that today's monthly job report also shows that the average wage slipped slightly downward? I bet not. Anyone want to wager this? ;)

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

But as for the "unemployment rate," I've always considered to be a deceptive figure because it's not calculated in any meaningful way.

Doing a bit of checking on a few sites and number crunching, I have calculated that the US population of those aged 18-64 was approximately 207 million in 2016 (based on US Census data). According to the BLS, there were approximately 124 million full-time employees in the US during the same year.

Out of 207 million, that would leave 83 million people unemployed, which would be an unemployment rate of about 40%.

Ah, I see you are using Foxnews mathematics.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
None of his policies have had a direct impact yet. This statistic is good news, however, it is still part of the ripple effect from the Obama administration. Now, if this trend continues into say, Q2-Q3 2018 and Trump is able to pass some meaningful legislation, we can pick up the discussion then.

Quetzal

Premium Member

Further, it typically does not account for what I like to call "meaningful employment." That is, full time employment with benefits and the like.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Further, it typically does not account for what I like to call "meaningful employment." That is, full time employment with benefits and the like.

Very true. There's also the issue of "underemployment" where people are prevented from reaching their full potential and making more worthy contributions to society.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I guess some don't consider stay at home mom/dad a job. Are we talking unemployment of individuals or of households. When you are looking at data you need to considered what you are looking at.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Very true. There's also the issue of "underemployment" where people are prevented from reaching their full potential and making more worthy contributions to society.
Exactly, so while the stats are a decent indicator of trends, I rarely put too much stock into it.

curiousB

I've been coming to this site on a daily basis reading the comments for at least 3 years now & this is my 1st comment!!
Trump had absolutely nothing to do with this!! These numbers are meaningless! I can still hear my statistics teacher from college saying, "you can make numbers say whatever you want them to say..." That's so true! The gvt/Feds manipulates these numbers on a daily basis to make you sheep feel good. This definitely includes the stock market too!! So again, Trump has nothing to do with these numbers!!

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If you really want to understand the statistics then you need to look at your source and understand what they considered "employment". I promise that somewhere in the process, if done by a government or academic entity, there was a long and involved discussion over that subject. If you don't know what they consider employment then you can't read the results.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Exactly, so while the stats are a decent indicator of trends, I rarely put too much stock into it.
I have found through personal experience that the usefulness of statistics is directly related to a person's ability to comprehend statistics.

We live in the age of data, but our population is still largely data illiterate. As a population our ability to handle big data has not yet caught up with our ability to collect it. It is a shame that a few choose to use this against the public to mislead them. Basic statistics should be a standard class in our k - 12, right along with how to get a job, balance a check book and handle loans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess some don't consider stay at home mom/dad a job.
That's because it isn't a "job" in the sense of employment.
Why is this so?
If being employed meant everything done to survive & meet
one's obligations, then we'd always be at 99.9% employment.
(Even a bum picking returnable cans out of dumpsters would
have a job.)