1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

Discussion in 'Scriptural Debates' started by 74x12, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    Because the Spirit of God can show you things in it. (Psalm 119:18)
    God inspired the people who wrote it. The compiling of the text has nothing to do with this discussion. Either it is or isn't inspired by God. The assumption of the thread is for those who believe it is inspired or at least might be. In which case they should logically want to understand it properly.
    Didn't say that. Just explaining why you don't get it. But even you could understand it if you prayed and had faith that God could show you.
    What kind of logic is it to not tell people the truth because the wicked one will take the seed out of their hearts? The wicked one is already taking the seed out of your hearts. At least I told you. If I don't tell people then who will?

2. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,218
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, after more research into those whale fossils....they are not that “high up” in the Andes, as one article stated; only about 5,000 ft. in elev.

I acquiesce.

Still, for being assessed at only 7 milllion y.o. (?), it is quite a rise in a relatively short time, geologically speaking..but possible, I guess. If they had been found above, say, 14,000 ft., that would’ve been another story.....

Have found nothing stating how long they’d been under the ocean surface, before that part of the sea floor rose.

Apparently, due to the whales’ shared orientation at death & burial, it must have some sort of cataclysm causing it, according to the scientists that were studying it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    Give an example.

4. YoursTrue

YoursTrue We know gravity by happenstance. (Newton)

Ratings:
    +916
    Religion:
    Christian
    There are different views about omniscience. It is linked also to one's idea of perfection.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,938
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    I mean, I worship God but the literary character lies about the divine fruit. Genesis has barely started before God is dishonest.

6. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,938
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    That is why the scientific method is important. The person who is wrong might still hear from a god, just not an honest one.

7. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +916
    Religion:
    Christian
    Why do you say that?

8. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,596
    Religion:
    None
    Prease exprain

9. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +916
    Religion:
    Christian
    Why should someone bother to explain?

10. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,596
    Religion:
    None
    Seems like you really have something wrong with you.

11. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    You're just angry at God for whatever reason in this and all your other posts. Therefore, I can't really take your claim of God being dishonest very serious. If you truly think God is dishonest then maybe you're just being intellectually lazy and don't want to try to actually understand God's Word. Why do you think the writer of Genesis put that in there in that way? Do you think they were just idiots and made an obvious mistake? No, it's deep and has to be understood on a deeper level. Which is why you need the helper: the holy Spirit to understand the Word of God.

12. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,925
    Problem is, even if your "safety net" is true, it merely makes you look absurd.

I mean, here you are trying to convince people who can not possibly understand because God Said No something you have thus failed to explain.
    Obviously becuse God Said No, right?
    So what is it you are actually attempting here?

Seems you need to make up your mind.
    Either there is no way we can understand because God Said No or you are better than the No Saying God in that you can make us understand the very thing you claim God Said No....

13. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,264
    Religion:
    Christian
    Paul's shipwreck. I believe it is easily understood that sailing vessels can capsize in a storm

14. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,264
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe there is no lie in what God said.

15. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,264
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe I know what he means but then I have the Holy Spirit to help me understand.

16. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,596
    Religion:
    None
    But unlike a shipwreck that makes sense, the snake story does not match reality

17. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,596
    Religion:
    None
    You only believe, but don't really know?
    That holy spirit don't seem like much help.

18. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,218
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sorry, I missed your reply somehow...

"it does not eliminate God."
    Interesting comment. See below.

I think you've forgotten all the evidence I presented….from the Chinese character for 'ship' (it's origin being unrelated to the Biblical narrative), to the observable crisp and well-defined features of many mountain ranges (an indication of their geologically young age), to the similarities of hundreds of Flood stories from diverse cultures (unknown to each other), to the festivals of the dead outlined in Colonel John Garnier's research which I informed you about. (Did you find it? I downloaded it from Google.) Here it is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Worship-Dead...tch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=#customerReviews .

Saying "we don't know" (which is the answer given many times) are not "more reliable reasons", are they?
    You're not going to "come to grips" with the fact that mainstream scientists base their replies solely on naturalistic causes (they have to), so they ignore any type of divine event which fits the facts better. Like the problem of the Pleistocene extinctions, or the Permafrost conundrum, to name just two of numerous unexplained anomalies.

What "preponderance of evidence"? Usually it's based on faulty assumptions, such as the assumed height of mountain ranges, 5000 yrs.ago. (If all current ranges are many myo, then why don't they all look like they've endured such comparable erosion?) Or some try to link the Flood to a Young Earth view. Or inaccurate timelines based on Lyle's assertion "the present is the key to the past".

Let me ask you this...for a moment, please, assume the Flood was literal. (Some of) thee waters came from where? The upper atmosphere, right? How would that affect dating methods on objects existing before the Event? Could you impose the same parameters?

#938 Hockeycowboy, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,003
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    I have not forgotten what you have presented. It has been shown to be erroneous, irrelevant and ambiguous.

The similarity of flood stories equivalent to the global flood described in the Bible is limited to only some cultures and those are known to have spread the story through cultural contamination. The global flood story is not as universal as is claimed.

I have seen all that you have presented, refuted numerous times.

That Chinese character is one of my favorites. You never actual show it means anything.

20. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +916
    Religion:
    Christian
    Pharaoh had magic-practicing priests that he used, didn't he? What appears to one may be different to another.

• Useful Useful x 1