• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the Delphic Maxims

Nyiix

Hej Peeps,

After doing some research on Hellenic moral codes/key values I came across a few supposedly good sources; including the Delphic Maxims (said to be given by Apollo's Oracle of Delphi). Read through them which led to some ambiguity regarding certain maxims.

12 - Ξενος ων ισθι - If you are a stranger act like one
What is meant by this? No idea what this maxim implies.

19 - Ορκω μη χρω - Do not use an oath
139 - Επαγγελου μηδενι - Make promises to no one

I put these two together as they are similar in my opinion. What is wrong with making promises? Especially when it comes down to making promises to the gods? Making and keeping promises is essential for building trust and any sort of relationship.

36 - Ευφημος ιοθι - Be (religiously) silent
115 - Ευφημιαν ασκει - Exercise (religious) silence

Again, closely related. Do these maxims imply that one shouldn't talk about his/her religious views? Or does it mean something else?

99 - Πονει μετ ευκλειας - Struggle with glory
Does this mean that one has to struggle to achieve glory? Or is this a reference to dealing with glory itself?

137 - Μη επι παντι λυπου - Grieve for no one
Do they really mean that one shouldn't grieve if someone dies? Even if that person is close to you? Seems impossible to me.. Hope it isn't meant to be taken as literally as I think it is..

Hope you guys can help me out with this ^^

:tophat:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think the thing with them is they were meant for, suited for, specific people/s with specific circumstances...sometimes they are wise words and good advice for everybody in general, not always though. For your life's circumstances doing the opposite could be best.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the thing with them is they were meant for, suited for, specific people/s with specific circumstances...sometimes they are wise words and good advice for everybody in general, not always though. For your life's circumstances doing the opposite could be best.

Interesting point.

Princeps Eugenius

I would imagine that the major philosophical schools: Stoicism, Epicureanism and Platonism would be the most known representations of Greco-Roman morality. Religion wasnt that moral to be honest. Think of the Illiad and Odyssey and the bloodshed and trickery there. Or zeus and his many sexual relationships. Or the stories about dionysos and the brutality of it. Its worse than the bible in many aspects.

Sees

Dragonslayer
The "if you are a stranger act like one" I would take along similar lines of the Germanic view of being a wise, thoughtful stranger or guest...being they are cousins and Indo-Euro concepts of hospitality are generally very similar.
  • Be cautious, keep your senses, and be respectful in general
  • Don't say more than needs to be said or trust every smile.
  • Don't appear too needy (overstay your welcome, eat all the food, drink all the drink, etc.), yet also acknowledge kindness.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Here's my take on these.

Hej Peeps,

After doing some research on Hellenic moral codes/key values I came across a few supposedly good sources; including the Delphic Maxims (said to be given by Apollo's Oracle of Delphi). Read through them which led to some ambiguity regarding certain maxims.

12 - Ξενος ων ισθι - If you are a stranger act like one

I think this one stems from the laws of hospitality: as there were guidelines to being a good guest there were also guidelines to being a good host. This one, specifically, is about boundaries. If a stranger invites you to be a guest in his home, treat them with respect and don't take liberties; don't put your feet up on the table, don't be overly-familiar in conversation, don't be overly-familiar with the household (in ancient times I suspect that would have covered 'don't grab the first slave you see and start humping them').

19 - Ορκω μη χρω - Do not use an oath
139 - Επαγγελου μηδενι - Make promises to no one

I take from this the idea that making oaths and promises over trivial matters is unnecessary. I've fallen afoul of this myself; I've made oaths to the gods concerning trivial things and I've subsequently forgotten them. Judging from the lack of bad things happening, I can assume that the gods recognised a pointless oath for what it was and have decided not to hold me to it. Their wisdom is greater.

36 - Ευφημος ιοθι - Be (religiously) silent
115 - Ευφημιαν ασκει - Exercise (religious) silence

I think this one applies to how one deals with being religious; namely, don't be preachy and loud about it. If you honour the gods, don't trumpet that you do as if it makes you a better person than those who don't. Don't make ostentatious, rambling oaths in public, don't commit acts of piety in the hope of piquing peoples' curiosity or getting them to notice you. And most importantly, DON'T PROSELYTE!!

99 - Πονει μετ ευκλειας - Struggle with glory

This one, I think, is about how you deal with glory. Basically, don't let it go to your head. Celebrate your successes but don't let your achievements run away with you so that you think you're hot ****. Be joyous about it, yes, but within reasonable limits.

This one I'm not that sure of. If I were to make an uneducated guess I'd say this one makes more sense in the context of Greek communities specifically related to the poleis, rather than in a literal interpretation. Again, this might tie in to the laws of hospitality. If a stranger were to die in your community it doesn't mean that because he's a stranger you can just dump his body and not give him the proper religious rites or a proper funeral. Such view points might help foster & strengthen a sense of reciprocation which is important to Greek polytheism.

Last edited:

vaguelyhumanoid

Do they really mean that one shouldn't grieve if someone dies? Even if that person is close to you? Seems impossible to me.. Hope it isn't meant to be taken as literally as I think it is..

Hope you guys can help me out with this ^^

:tophat:

I wouldn't interpret this too literally as repressing one's emotions or not displaying empathy after a tragedy. I would take it more in the spirit of celebrating the lives of the deceased, staying strong and allowing yourself to move on, as opposed to letting grief take over your life. Similar concepts are discussed in Beowulf.

Nyiix

'Decoding' maxims isn't the easiest thing to do..

Thank you for the explanations guys! It helped me a lot :3