• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding religious life

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Realizing religious practices is not about speaking of other peoples faults or wrongdoing, it is about fixing once own faults and becoming like the teaching.

Speaking bad about others only show how little wisdom is obtained, a way to show what religious practices is, is to live by it as a good example and not harming others.

Help those who lay down or are bullied, dont be the bully.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... Very true. I think this applies to more than judgement of others as well, and also applies to ways folks preach at others while genuinely thinking they are helping them.

I think in life we discover things about ourselves that are exciting to us; be they spiritual growth, or just growth as a person. We think we gain some level of knowledge we lacked before. We get passionate about this stuff.

Sometimes we see others who are struggling with things that are similar to what we've struggled with in the past, and we feel like we can help them in the issues they face now.

Therein lies the problem with trying to tell them the error of their ways, though. It's an illusion to think one has any kind of better information than someone else on what things they are dealing with, because their problems are subjective, as were yours. Any higher level of knowledge we've gained only applies to ourselves, and our own personal life experiences. No matter how similar their problem is to one you've experienced yourself previously, it's impossible for that person to tackle the problem the same exact way considering all of the other issues that would be attached to the problem that you may not know lie beneath the surface.

I've found that if people want one's advice on something, they'll ask; assuming they know about your experiences on the issue at hand. Chances are, if they do ask, it will pertain to a specific aspect of the problem they face. They have to live with the issues they face, so they are well aware of the beast they wrestle with.

Sorry if this is a bit of a word salad... I had a little too much fun last night and am still recovering my mental faculties. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Realizing religious practices is not about speaking of other peoples faults or wrongdoing, it is about fixing once own faults and becoming like the teaching.

Speaking bad about others only show how little wisdom is obtained, a way to show what religious practices is, is to live by it as a good example and not harming others.

Help those who lay down or are bullied, dont be the bully.

Is there a difference between healthy scrutiny about religion and religious practices and negative criticism of religion and religious practices?

Are people justified to have religious biases based on their personal experiences more so than downing the religion just because it's a religion?

There's a lot of factors in why people dislike religion. Which ones are justified and which aren't; and can we accept the opinions without offense?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is there a difference between healthy scrutiny about religion and religious practices and negative criticism of religion and religious practices?

Are people justified to have religious biases based on their personal experiences more so than downing the religion just because it's a religion?

There's a lot of factors in why people dislike religion. Which ones are justified and which aren't; and can we accept the opinions without offense?
Feel free to dislike religion:) but all human should be Nice to each other. Religious people should not bash non religious people for sexual preferences

MNoBody

4f9f7df63e1cda2b39416f4728e11ed4.gif

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hmmm... Very true. I think this applies to more than judgement of others as well, and also applies to ways folks preach at others while genuinely thinking they are helping them.

I think in life we discover things about ourselves that are exciting to us; be they spiritual growth, or just growth as a person. We think we gain some level of knowledge we lacked before. We get passionate about this stuff.

Sometimes we see others who are struggling with things that are similar to what we've struggled with in the past, and we feel like we can help them in the issues they face now.

Therein lies the problem with trying to tell them the error of their ways, though. It's an illusion to think one has any kind of better information than someone else on what things they are dealing with, because their problems are subjective, as were yours. Any higher level of knowledge we've gained only applies to ourselves, and our own personal life experiences. No matter how similar their problem is to one you've experienced yourself previously, it's impossible for that person to tackle the problem the same exact way considering all of the other issues that would be attached to the problem that you may not know lie beneath the surface.

I've found that if people want one's advice on something, they'll ask; assuming they know about your experiences on the issue at hand. Chances are, if they do ask, it will pertain to a specific aspect of the problem they face. They have to live with the issues they face, so they are well aware of the beast they wrestle with.

Sorry if this is a bit of a word salad... I had a little too much fun last night and am still recovering my mental faculties. :D

That makes sense. How would you think they'd go about telling people they can help without thinking they can save them (give them higher knowledge, or educate them on something they think the other is ignorant of) without devaluing their purpose-I guess?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
That makes sense. How would you think they'd go about telling people they can help without thinking they can save them (give them higher knowledge, or educate them on something they think the other is ignorant of) without devaluing their purpose-I guess?

I guess I would look at it the same way that one digests food. They take in all the information, digest the stuff that's useful for them, and discard the stuff they couldn't process. Whether or not they could benefit from the stuff learned or not matters little if the mind isn't in such a state to digest it; they have to be hungry first. people will only retain what they feel is relevent.

If someone tries to give advice (or preaching at them), it won't sink in unless they are already in mental state that's receptive to that information. I find when I do feel the need to give advice, I try to get my point across by telling a story about a similar experience I had, and they can ask for specifics if they are catching the drift that I'm sending down stream. If they don't want to hear it, they can just feel free to change the subject and that's that. :)

When it boils down to it, all anyone wants is to be treated with respect. Telling people what they should do disregards them and the things they are facing besides the issue at hand. Everyone's circumstances are different, and everyone has their own horrors they deal with in life. It's always good to remember that, I think.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That might have happen yes.

Well, I really would rather talk about it, though. Unless you only want people's opinions but don't want to understand them, it happens but do you look into why to understand your curiosity and questions from your OP etc?

I know you have some aversion towards me but I'm really serious.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, I really would rather talk about it, though. Unless you only want people's opinions but don't want to understand them, it happens but do you look into why to understand your curiosity and questions from your OP etc?

I know you have some aversion towards me but I'm really serious.
There is no aversion toward you. All those thoughts that was before about gay, lesbian or other genders is gone.

Every person can be who they are. Nobody should be judged on it by others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Asking good questions toward a religion or religious person is good. Asking questions to damage religion is not good.

If a religious person practice correct according to the teaching they should not be affected by negative words from non believers.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Asking good questions toward a religion or religious person is good. Asking questions to damage religion is not good.

If a religious person practice correct according to the teaching they should not be affected by negative words from non believers.

Thanks. If there words were critical of religion in the questions they ask how would you tell if they are criticizing religion in order to understand it or more downing the religion because they do understand it?

Can you understand and experience a religion you, thereafter, dislike and find negativity in its theology and practices?

In my opinion, that's the only way one can rightfully say something for or against something negatively or positively is they first have to have experience and knowledge of the religion in order to form either views. But it's not logical, I guess, that those who form positive views of their experience are fine but those who find negative views do so because they haven't had the "right" experience.

Is there a way to criticize religion based one's personal experiences rather ignorance of the religion they criticize?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thanks. If there words were critical of religion in the questions they ask how would you tell if they are criticizing religion in order to understand it or more downing the religion because they do understand it?

Can you understand and experience a religion you, thereafter, dislike and find negativity in its theology and practices?

In my opinion, that's the only way one can rightfully say something for or against something negatively or positively is they first have to have experience and knowledge of the religion in order to form either views. But it's not logical, I guess, that those who form positive views of their experience are fine but those who find negative views do so because they haven't had the "right" experience.

Is there a way to criticize religion based one's personal experiences rather ignorance of the religion they criticize?
What the teaching actually say, and what a person understand of it can be two different things, experience helps of course but only attained wisdom from the teaching can give the most pure truth from it( the teaching).
This answer is far from the only right answer :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What the teaching actually say, and what a person understand of it can be two different things, experience helps of course but only attained wisdom from the teaching can give the most pure truth from it( the teaching).
This answer is far from the only right answer :)

If a former believer experienced the same bliss that a present believer does, can the former express healthy criticism against the faith he once followed because of his experience?

Or does speaking negative of his former faith invalidate he had a positive experience at all?

Your answers are very vague that I can't pin point which question(s) they are referring to.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If a former believer experienced the same bliss that a present believer does, can the former express healthy criticism against the faith he once followed because of his experience?

Or does speaking negative of his former faith invalidate he had a positive experience at all?

Your answers are very vague that I can't pin point which question(s) they are referring to.
There is no need to make critique of former belief. Others might find truth in the former belief so og maling harsh critique of it, og might offend

The answer is not fully clear because of not knowing a good answer to your questions

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is no need to make critique of former belief. Others might find truth in the former belief so og maling harsh critique of it, og might offend

The answer is not fully clear because of not knowing a good answer to your questions

I've never had a black/white thinking with spirituality. Wouldn't there be a difference between "that theology about christ is terrible" compared to "your' theology on christ is terrible?"

Wouldn't negativity of a religion be defined by the person one is addressing (Your-christian belief is terrible), not the opinion on christian theology itself (christian belief is terrible)?

I know a christian (for example) can take offense over someone devaluing his faith based on the latter's personal experience (good and bad alike) but does that offense make that comment negative in itself or ill reaction to something personal to that christian?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've never had a black/white thinking with spirituality. Wouldn't there be a difference between "that theology about christ is terrible" compared to "your' theology on christ is terrible?"

Wouldn't negativity of a religion be defined by the person one is addressing (Your-christian belief is terrible), not the opinion on christian theology itself (christian belief is terrible)?

I know a christian (for example) can take offense over someone devaluing his faith based on the latter's personal experience (good and bad alike) but does that offense make that comment negative in itself or ill reaction to something personal to that christian?
If a person has negative experience with a religion, but it does not make a religion bad of that reason.

A religious persons action speech and thoughts is what make something bad