• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Under What Conditions, if any, Would You Worship a Deity?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you were reasonably certain there was a Supreme Deity of the Universe, under what conditions, if any, would you worship it?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If you were reasonably certain there was a Supreme Deity of the Universe, under what conditions, if any, would you worship it?
I suppose it depends on what that deity does, right? If there is a deity that is evil in nature and takes action that I foresee as counter to the common good, I would not worship it. However, should that supreme deity offer me unlimited Snoopy avatars, I might be more inclined to hear them out.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If he lowered himself in his nature, came from the clouds, and shook my hand then I may look in straight in the eye, smile, and say "let's have a pizza, dude". As long as there is heirachy, I don't see a need to worship unless I was forced.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hmm, perhaps if he somehow manifested to me?

That probably connects with the undescribed circunstance that made me reasonably certain of Its existence in the first place.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
SHAKTI! :)

At least right now. Make it Tara if you want, or Qwan Yin. But I learned of Shakti in particularly intense a way, so I guess it will always be Shakti to me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Same conditions as for any deity. If I've deified something, that means I already regard it as worthy of worship, or of respect and gratitude. The gods I actively worship are those that have an immediate and relevant impact upon my life, or represent things I value. The idea of a "supreme deity" is not one I value, so that right away makes it unlikely I would worship such a thing, even if it had a relevant impact on my life.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't think I would. First, I can't be certain no matter what evidence it provides or what it tells me that it is indeed a universal supreme deity.:D Second, if a deity won't be a mensch and sit at my table, share food and drink in their honor, and talk with me on a level I can really understand, then I'm not sure I would want to have any relationship with it at all.:p

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I consider worship to be a form of Lesser Black Magick, which can be of dubious morality in my view. If said deity wasn't of a sound mind, then perhaps worship might be a useful means to help said deity back to sanity, dependant upon the specific circumstances involved.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
True God-to-be-worshiped has following properties: [understanding from Ahmadiyya-Muslim View]
1) What teaching this God gives about self-of-God i.e. about it's Unity, Power, Knowledge, Perfection, Grandeur and other Attributes.
2) What does that God teach about uplift of human self and how they should live, human rights -- there should be no teaching of immodesty, there should be no teaching against natural laws, there should be no dangerous teaching, there should be no teaching which is ignored to stop discord....God's teaching should develop relation of love due to God's benevolence, God's teaching should human from darkness and take to light.
3) God should not be a God Who lives in stories. God should continue to show Self to seekers through speech, miracles, listening and signs.

That one dude...

Why should I have a faith?
I dunno, I can be pretty stubborn. Still awaiting evidence for the existence of such a thing. For now, the answer is no.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th

Marsh

For a long time I have questioned why a deity would require worship. The old concept was that when plants and animals were given as burnt offerings that this was actually perceived as food for the gods. There is even a passage in the Old Testament of God being drawn to the smell of the sacrifice. This I can understand, but one might question the rational of the Judaeo-Christian god seeking worship. Surely it is not for vanity that God desires worship. Why does he need to be worshiped? Why does he care? It is my understanding the Muslims still, on special occasions, sacrifice lambs to Allah, even in the USA and Canada. They purchase the animal then take it home and ceremonially dispatch it in their basement. I was dumbfounded when I heard this.

Perhaps I can see a god being paid homage, out of respect, or maybe out of fear? How though to worship him? Does he really want us to go to church once each week and sing to him or listen to a sermon? Does he want us to press our foreheads to the floor five times a day and face in pre-defined direction as we do so. Why would a Supreme Deity of the Universe really care?