• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Under the Bodhi Tree

von bek

Under the Bodhi Tree | Wisdom Publications

I wanted to come here and recommend this book, Under the Bodhi Tree by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu. The book deals with the topic of dependent origination, examining its place in Buddhist thought and why it is so important as a teaching in Buddhism. Buddhadasa is informative and engaging. I have read a number of his works prior to picking this up. I am really enjoying Under the Bodhi Tree and urge others who are interested in the topic to give it a try. Buddhadasa comes from the Theravada tradition, but I believe Mahayana Buddhists can also find valuable insights into the subject.

Related to this book, I also recommend Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree. This book is also by Buddhadasa and covers the topic of voidness. (Or emptiness, if you prefer.)

Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree | Wisdom Publications

von bek

I think I will have a look. Thank you

If you get a chance to check out anything by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, do it. I find him to be one of the more important voices of Buddhism in modern times. He has been known to offer up some controversial opinions, such as his rather low opinion of Buddhaghosa, the composer of the Visuddhimagga. Buddhadasa accuses Buddhaghosa of trying to sneak an atman concept into Buddhism. This upsets a number of monks as Buddhghosa is HIGHLY revered in mainstream Theravada for his ideas. (And as I am sure you know, in the Theravada tradition we strongly reject any notion of atman. So, accusations of teaching atman are fighting words!)