• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unconditional Mind

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
the no-hiding theorem has proven information; is neither created/destroyed.

But information and energy are different things. The no-hiding theorem is a low-level description that isn't relevant to upper level things like information and entropy.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
actually electromagnetic fields can distort reality for a person

They can change how our neurons respond because our neurons are partly electrochemical. That doesn't change 'reality', merely perceptions.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
We don’t remember most of our dreams. And what is there to remember of dreamless sleep ?

When we do remember our dreams, it is clear that they involve consciousness.

There are forms of consciousness “I” can’t remember.

But we still describe sleep as being unconscious. That means we are dealing with, again, at least two different concepts here.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
But information and energy are different things. The no-hiding theorem is a low-level description that isn't relevant to upper level things like information and entropy.

the no-hiding theorem is about information. information, knowledge, consciousness is power. it is the power to use natural forces in ways not known to the ignorant. case in point gun powder.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
They can change how our neurons respond because our neurons are partly electrochemical. That doesn't change 'reality', merely perceptions.

consciousness works on electromagnetic and chemical aspects; so yes it is energy

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
But we still describe sleep as being unconscious. That means we are dealing with, again, at least two different concepts here.

no you're trying to differentiate that consciousness travelling inside something is different from consciousness being conveyed outward from something. consciousness only requires something be conscious of something, consciousness isn't required to be conscious of everything. otherwise scientist are unconscious.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
consciousness works on electromagnetic and chemical aspects; so yes it is energy

It seems you don't understand the use of the term 'energy' in science. Working via some force or process does NOT mean something is energy (as opposed to, say, momentum or spin or mass or parity or...)

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Yes, two different concepts. But that doesn’t imply two different realities.

If there was no consciousness in a dream I do remember....what is that ?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, two different concepts. But that doesn’t imply two different realities.

If there was no consciousness in a dream I do remember....what is that ?

Well, I would call it limited consciousness, like in sedation. In this consciousness is opposed to being unconscious.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
But surely limited consciousness, in this discussion, is like being semi-pregnant ?

It does seem that there are degrees of consciousness, like you can be woken up by a loud noise while asleep. Degrees of wakefulness or awareness perhaps?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
But surely limited consciousness, in this discussion, is like being semi-pregnant ?

Well, that's part of my point. It isn't a binary situation. Instead, there are degrees going from the sensitivity of bacteria to local nutrients to full-blown consciousness in humans. Those are not the same phenomena.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Well, that's part of my point. It isn't a binary situation. Instead, there are degrees going from the sensitivity of bacteria to local nutrients to full-blown consciousness in humans. Those are not the same phenomena.

That is about complexity of behaviour, not awareness of behaviour.
It seems that by ‘full blown consciousness’ you mean awareness of complexity, as opposed to awareness of simplicity.

A human has hundreds of billions of brain cells, neuronal and glial, and another 75 trillion or so non-brain cells. We’re much more complicated than bacteria.

Imagine a monitor screen with only 64 pixels. Not much room for sophisticated and high res imagery. But the 64 pixel screen (bacteria) and the 4K resolution screen (human) are otherwise basically the same.

It is the possible content of the screens which is radically different, and the computing power to make use of it.

An awareness of 64 bits vs an awareness of a gigabit is...still awareness.

Conversely, the most complex machine you can build is....just complex behaviour. Which cannot be classed as awareness.

There is no evidence that awareness is the result of complexity.

There is no theory or scientific evidence proving, or even strongly suggesting, that complex behaviour becomes aware, merely because it is complex enough.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It does seem that there are degrees of consciousness, like you can be woken up by a loud noise while asleep. Degrees of wakefulness or awareness perhaps?
I would say there is a hierarchy of consciousness. One experiences one subjective reality in dreams, another in waking-state. Neither reflect the objective picture of the universe proposed by theoretical physics.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That is about complexity of behaviour, not awareness of behaviour.
It seems that by ‘full blown consciousness’ you mean awareness of complexity, as opposed to awareness of simplicity.

A human has hundreds of billions of brain cells, neuronal and glial, and another 75 trillion or so non-brain cells. We’re much more complicated than bacteria.

Imagine a monitor screen with only 64 pixels. Not much room for sophisticated and high res imagery. But the 64 pixel screen (bacteria) and the 4K resolution screen (human) are otherwise basically the same.

It is the possible content of the screens which is radically different, and the computing power to make use of it.

An awareness of 64 bits vs an awareness of a gigabit is...still awareness.

Conversely, the most complex machine you can build is....just complex behaviour. Which cannot be classed as awareness.

There is no evidence that awareness is the result of complexity.

There is no theory or scientific evidence proving, or even strongly suggesting, that complex behaviour becomes aware, merely because it is complex enough.

I guess I see it exactly the opposite way. Awareness is the complex processing of information to allow it to be stored, modeled and used in the future.

If something is able to have the complex behavior of a human being, then it will be conscious simply because it has to be able to interact in complex ways with the world and model its own behavior internally. And that *is* awareness.

And I don't think that it is complexity alone that is required. It is complexity of processing of the information in a way that allows internal modeling and random access usage.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I guess I see it exactly the opposite way. Awareness is the complex processing of information to allow it to be stored, modeled and used in the future.

If something is able to have the complex behavior of a human being, then it will be conscious simply because it has to be able to interact in complex ways with the world and model its own behavior internally. And that *is* awareness.

And I don't think that it is complexity alone that is required. It is complexity of processing of the information in a way that allows internal modeling and random access usage.

So you see no difference between an AI capable of complex behaviour, and a human aware of complex behaviour ?

Just a data structure capable of modelling its own behaviour equals awareness ?

I know I exist. I am the subject of my awareness. That is not just a clever data structure.
That clever data structure may well imitate sentience, but it is still just a silicon construct.

Are you simply taking self awareness (which is clearly not just a set of registers configured for modelling system parameters) out of the equation because it is ...inexplicable ?
That’s fine if all you want is AI. There is simply no need to claim that AI equals, or can equal, awareness.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So you see no difference between an AI capable of complex behaviour, and a human aware of complex behaviour ?

If it is the same complex behavior, no. I see no fundamental difference.

Just a data structure capable of modelling its own behaviour equals awareness ?
I think there are degrees of awareness and that as the complexity increases, so does the awareness.

I know I exist. I am the subject of my awareness. That is not just a clever data structure.

Are you *sure* of that? I am not. In fact, all I can see points exactly to it being such a data structure.

That clever data structure may well imitate sentience, but it is still just a silicon construct.

And you are 'just' a biological construct. You are made of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, and a few other elements.

Are you simply taking self awareness (which is clearly not just a set of registers configured for modelling system parameters) out of the equation because it is ...inexplicable ?

No, I am saying this because I don't see any fundamentally inexplicable aspect to awareness or consciousness. In humans, the awareness is distributed across different brain regions and is NOT a single 'thing'. I see no reason why that cannot be, in principle, produced with other physical foundations.

That’s fine if all you want is AI. There is simply no need to claim that AI equals, or can equal, awareness.

if it is reacting to the external environment in complex ways adapted to changes in that environment, in what way is it *not* aware?

Seriously. I really fail to see what 'extra' is required here.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
do we enter into this existence with an unconditional, limitless mind?

if the mind is limitless does it then have direct insight as brahman?
One wouldn't take on existence unconditioned...

And no, even if limitless, if no wisdom, no proper attention, no insight into what is liberating, good householder.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to me that the silicon/carbon distinction is beside the point.

Here is my basic position:

If you have two, physically identical structures and one is conscious, then the other will be conscious also.

In other words, it is impossible to have a brain that performs the same activities as a human brain, from data collection, to data processing, to decision making, without it actually being conscious.

Or, to put it another way, philosophical zombies are an incoherent concept. Consciousness supervenes on the physical.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It seems to me that the silicon/carbon distinction is beside the point.

Here is my basic position:

If you have two, physically identical structures and one is conscious, then the other will be conscious also.

In other words, it is impossible to have a brain that performs the same activities as a human brain, from data collection, to data processing, to decision making, without it actually being conscious.

Or, to put it another way, philosophical zombies are an incoherent concept. Consciousness supervenes on the physical.

that isn't what the science is showing. it occurs simultaneously in brain scans. a conscious opinion, a conscious decision, is formed after the information is provided

Brain makes decisions before you even know it : Nature News

in other words before the transceiver "makes a decision about the information"; the information is already known but a decision, choice, opinion is made later by the transceiver consciously.

Last edited: