• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

unclean meat

kevmicsmi

commandment4 said:
do you believe in not eating the unclean meat mentioned in the Bible?
I personally believe you shouldn't what is your oppinion?

IMHO its ok as long as it hasnt fallen on the floor, now thats unclean meat! ok stupid joke

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
kevmicsmi said:
IMHO its ok as long as it hasnt fallen on the floor, now thats unclean meat! ok stupid joke

Actually, I think it's funny.:biglaugh:

To answer the question...as a Christian...I'm bound by the covenant etablished within the NT of the Bible and I don't believe the restrictions that existed in the OT now apply.

wasn't the 10 commandments in the old testiment
this was set by God before the "law" to noah in genesis
so when Jesus died it took away the old law like sacrificing
in isaih one of the abonations to God in the end would be that when he comes back there will be people cooking the broth of unclean animals and eating the flesh of the swine

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
commandment4 said:
wasn't the 10 commandments in the old testiment
this was set by God before the "law" to noah in genesis
so when Jesus died it took away the old law like sacrificing
in isaih one of the abonations to God in the end would be that when he comes back there will be people cooking the broth of unclean animals and eating the flesh of the swine

Cite your scriptural references, and I'll take a look.

The ten commandments makes NO mention whatsoever of meat.

Exactly...with Christ...the old law was replaced by the new laws established under Christ's covenant.

isaiah 65:3-4
3 a people who continually provoke me
to my very face,
offering sacrifices in gardens
and burning incense on altars of brick;
4 who sit among the graves
and spend their nights keeping secret vigil;
who eat the flesh of pigs,
and whose pots hold broth of unclean meat;

you should consider reading that chapter

jewscout

Religious Zionist
again i personally see it as a mitzvot for the jewish people
whether a non-jew chooses to eat kosher or not is their decision

i know a few who do keep a kosher diet in that they won't eat pork or shellfish and the like. They say its a healthy way to eat...

Reactions: Ody

Mike182

Flaming Queer
commandment4 said:
isaiah 65:3-4
3 a people who continually provoke me
to my very face,
offering sacrifices in gardens
and burning incense on altars of brick;
4 who sit among the graves
and spend their nights keeping secret vigil;
who eat the flesh of pigs,
and whose pots hold broth of unclean meat;

you should consider reading that chapter
i see this verse as being a snipe at pagans more than anything else, but i can see why someone who follows the old testiment would only eat "clean" meat

i personally do not follow the old testiment, and only have a problem with eating human flesh.......

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
commandment4 said:
do you believe in not eating the unclean meat mentioned in the Bible?
I personally believe you shouldn't what is your oppinion?
Vegetarians don't have the issue at all.

Question of the day: If Vegetarians eat only vegetables, what do Humanitarians eat?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
How do you interpret this passage from Matthew, then? (Matthew 15:10-20) I'm genuinely curious.

10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.”
12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”
13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”
15 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “Explain this parable to us.”
16 So Jesus said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”

James

Super Universe

Defender of God
The Old Testament was a guide for primitive humans who knew nothing about mold, mildew, germs, and virus carried in the blood.

Aren't we smart enough now to know what we can eat and what we can't? Don't we know a great deal about how virus are transferred?

Do you really think God is so petty that He would consider it a sin for us to eat a snake?

Popeyesays

In my faith there are no "unclean substances". As to meat the only injunction is that we should not eat the meat of an animal found dead in a trap. One cannot know how long it has been dead. The hide, feathers, skins, etc. are usable, but not the meat.

We are also prohibited from "plunging our hands" into a communal bowl. Other than that - bon apetit!

Regards,
Scott

JamesThePersian said:
How do you interpret this passage from Matthew, then? (Matthew 15:10-20) I'm genuinely curious.

James

read the last line. it is talking about eating with unwashed hands. he didn't say anything about being able to eat unclean meat.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
commandment4 said:
read the last line. it is talking about eating with unwashed hands. he didn't say anything about being able to eat unclean meat.

As I've stated twice...Christians are not bound by the laws of the Old Testament. Show me in the New Testament of the Bible, where I'm told I can't eat "unclean" meat.

it doesn't repeat itself and say again that you shouln't eat unclean meat but it's more of following by example. they didn't eat unclean meat and it never says that that was changed. it never said that you could eat it now. so you don't believe the prophecy in Isaiah?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
commandment4 said:
it doesn't repeat itself and say again that you shouln't eat unclean meat but it's more of following by example. they didn't eat unclean meat and it never says that that was changed. it never said that you could eat it now. so you don't believe the prophecy in Isaiah?

I believe the Word of God.

Jews are bound by different laws than I am...just to try to illustrate my point.

Of course I believe what Isaiah said. I interpret that verse differently than you do.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Like Mike182 mentioned...the practices mentioned in those verses are pagan practices. And unlike myself...Isaiah was a JEW...who was NOT able to eat pig.

Christ became the ultimate sacrifice. Those laws of maintaining cleanliness in regards to animals are non applicable in my faith because Christ made it null and void. Through repentance...I am clean.

By HIS blood...I've been washed clean. There are no restrictions as to whether or can or cannot eat certain animals...they can't make me unclean because I've been washed clean by the blood of my Saviour.

Show me a verse from the NT of the Bible which tells me that I cannot eat certain meat because it is deemed unclean and I will have a look see.

Popeyesays

Much of the friction between Paul and James was based on Paul's deliberate abrogation of the Judaic law - eating with Gentiles, eating that which was considered unclean (following Kosher law). Paul lost in the short run, as it was James who kind of abandoned Paul to prison, Paul won in the long run because 99% of Christendom is perfectly happy to eat ham on Easter.

My faith is curiously intertwined with Miller's millenial interpretations of Christ's return, as the Bab declared Himself on May 23rd, 1844.

Regards,
Scott

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Christ dealt with uncleanliness...he shed his blood for me. I don't have to worry about what meat I put into my mouth, anymore. (Not that I ever did)

Christ took all that with him on the cross. He's my salvation. In Him...I am forgiven...I am clean.