1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

unclean meat

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by commandment4, Mar 15, 2006.

1. commandment4

commandment4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    do you believe in not eating the unclean meat mentioned in the Bible?
    I personally believe you shouldn't what is your oppinion?

• Like Like x 1
  2. kevmicsmi

kevmicsmi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180
    IMHO its ok as long as it hasnt fallen on the floor, now thats unclean meat! ok stupid joke

• Like Like x 1
  3. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,161
    Religion:
    Non-Denominational Christian
    Actually, I think it's funny.:biglaugh:

To answer the question...as a Christian...I'm bound by the covenant etablished within the NT of the Bible and I don't believe the restrictions that existed in the OT now apply.

4. commandment4

commandment4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    wasn't the 10 commandments in the old testiment
    this was set by God before the "law" to noah in genesis
    so when Jesus died it took away the old law like sacrificing
    in isaih one of the abonations to God in the end would be that when he comes back there will be people cooking the broth of unclean animals and eating the flesh of the swine

5. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,161
    Religion:
    Cite your scriptural references, and I'll take a look.

The ten commandments makes NO mention whatsoever of meat.

Exactly...with Christ...the old law was replaced by the new laws established under Christ's covenant.

6. commandment4

commandment4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    isaiah 65:3-4
    3 a people who continually provoke me
    to my very face,
    offering sacrifices in gardens
    and burning incense on altars of brick;
    4 who sit among the graves
    and spend their nights keeping secret vigil;
    who eat the flesh of pigs,
    and whose pots hold broth of unclean meat;

you should consider reading that chapter

7. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +927
    again i personally see it as a mitzvot for the jewish people
    whether a non-jew chooses to eat kosher or not is their decision

i know a few who do keep a kosher diet in that they won't eat pork or shellfish and the like. They say its a healthy way to eat...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike182

Mike182 Flaming Queer

Ratings:
    +1,389
    i see this verse as being a snipe at pagans more than anything else, but i can see why someone who follows the old testiment would only eat "clean" meat

i personally do not follow the old testiment, and only have a problem with eating human flesh.......

9. Engyo

Engyo Prince of Dorkness!

Ratings:
    +825
    Vegetarians don't have the issue at all.

Question of the day: If Vegetarians eat only vegetables, what do Humanitarians eat?

10. James the Persian

James the Persian Dreptcredincios Crestin

Ratings:
    +656
    How do you interpret this passage from Matthew, then? (Matthew 15:10-20) I'm genuinely curious.

James

• Like Like x 1
  11. d.

d. _______

Ratings:
    +283
    'uncle meat'? ;)

12. Super Universe

Super Universe Defender of God

Ratings:
    +396
    Religion:
    Urantia Book
    The Old Testament was a guide for primitive humans who knew nothing about mold, mildew, germs, and virus carried in the blood.

Aren't we smart enough now to know what we can eat and what we can't? Don't we know a great deal about how virus are transferred?

Do you really think God is so petty that He would consider it a sin for us to eat a snake?

13. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    In my faith there are no "unclean substances". As to meat the only injunction is that we should not eat the meat of an animal found dead in a trap. One cannot know how long it has been dead. The hide, feathers, skins, etc. are usable, but not the meat.

We are also prohibited from "plunging our hands" into a communal bowl. Other than that - bon apetit!

Regards,
    Scott

14. commandment4

commandment4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    read the last line. it is talking about eating with unwashed hands. he didn't say anything about being able to eat unclean meat.

15. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,161
    Religion:
    As I've stated twice...Christians are not bound by the laws of the Old Testament. Show me in the New Testament of the Bible, where I'm told I can't eat "unclean" meat.

16. commandment4

commandment4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    it doesn't repeat itself and say again that you shouln't eat unclean meat but it's more of following by example. they didn't eat unclean meat and it never says that that was changed. it never said that you could eat it now. so you don't believe the prophecy in Isaiah?

17. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,161
    Religion:
    I believe the Word of God.

Jews are bound by different laws than I am...just to try to illustrate my point.

Of course I believe what Isaiah said. I interpret that verse differently than you do.

18. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,161
    Religion:
    Like Mike182 mentioned...the practices mentioned in those verses are pagan practices. And unlike myself...Isaiah was a JEW...who was NOT able to eat pig.

Christ became the ultimate sacrifice. Those laws of maintaining cleanliness in regards to animals are non applicable in my faith because Christ made it null and void. Through repentance...I am clean.

By HIS blood...I've been washed clean. There are no restrictions as to whether or can or cannot eat certain animals...they can't make me unclean because I've been washed clean by the blood of my Saviour.

Show me a verse from the NT of the Bible which tells me that I cannot eat certain meat because it is deemed unclean and I will have a look see.

19. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Much of the friction between Paul and James was based on Paul's deliberate abrogation of the Judaic law - eating with Gentiles, eating that which was considered unclean (following Kosher law). Paul lost in the short run, as it was James who kind of abandoned Paul to prison, Paul won in the long run because 99% of Christendom is perfectly happy to eat ham on Easter.

My faith is curiously intertwined with Miller's millenial interpretations of Christ's return, as the Bab declared Himself on May 23rd, 1844.

Regards,
    Scott

20. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,161
    Religion:
    Christ dealt with uncleanliness...he shed his blood for me. I don't have to worry about what meat I put into my mouth, anymore. (Not that I ever did)

Christ took all that with him on the cross. He's my salvation. In Him...I am forgiven...I am clean.