• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncle Sunstone's First Natural Law of Something Like That

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"A person's knowledge on any fairly extensive subject will inevitably reach a critical mass beyond which persons of common knowledge will be incapable of reliably grasping the truth, accuracy, and implications of his or her statements. Or something like that."

Kind of like Clarke's insight that there comes a point at which an advanced technology appears to those who do not possess it as magic.

Seems the Dunning-Kruger Effect comes into play here, too, in the ways people might respond to anyone knowing that much more than them on any particular subject.

This thread was largely, but not exclusively, inspired by watching a few of the apparently more knowledgeable political commentators among the Millennials in recent weeks discuss current events in America, then reflecting on how many years it took me to gain enough background information to figure out in advance what some of their likely conclusions would be.

I reckon if you can reliably predict in detail someone's conclusions roughly around the time they announce their subject, and they aren't repeating themselves too much, then you most likely know what they know about the subject.

Uncle Sunstone
"Befuddling Himself on RF Since 2004"

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
"A person's knowledge on any fairly extensive subject will inevitably reach a critical mass beyond which persons of common knowledge will be incapable of reliably grasping the truth, accuracy, and implications of his or her statements. Or something like that."

Kind of like Clarke's insight that there comes a point at which an advanced technology appears to those who do not possess it as magic.

Seems the Dunning-Kruger Effect comes into play here, too, in the ways people might respond to anyone knowing that much more than them on any particular subject.

This thread was largely, but not exclusively, inspired by watching a few of the apparently more knowledgeable political commentators among the Millennials in recent weeks discuss current events in America, then reflecting on how many years it took me to gain enough background information to figure out in advance what some of their likely conclusions would be.

I reckon if you can reliably predict in detail someone's conclusions roughly around the time they announce their subject, and they aren't repeating themselves too much, then you most likely know what they know about the subject.

Uncle Sunstone
"Befuddling Himself on RF Since 2004"

You're onto something here, I think. There is a certain amount of trust I think we all place in folks that have more knowledge than we do in this or that area, because for whatever reason we don't have the education they have. So we rely on them to relay accurate information to us. And at a certain point, that knowledge because so detailed that the lay person can't even keep up in a conversation about the topic, because they don't even have the more basic knowledge necessary to even understand what's being discussed.

It reminds me of creationists discussing evolution.

Or me discussing cars.

Or pretty much anyone who doesn't have an advanced natural science degree discussing QM.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You're onto something here, I think. There is a certain amount of trust I think we all place in folks that have more knowledge than we do in this or that area, because for whatever reason we don't have the education they have. So we rely on them to relay accurate information to us. And at a certain point, that knowledge because so detailed that the lay person can't even keep up in a conversation about the topic, because they don't even have the more basic knowledge necessary to even understand what's being discussed.

It reminds me of creationists discussing evolution.

Or me discussing cars.

Or pretty much anyone who doesn't have an advanced natural science degree discussing QM.

Good examples. Years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to 'discover carpentry' after a friend asked me help building expensive decks. Didn't know a thing when I started, and not much more a few years later when the economy soured and too few people wanted decks starting at $50,000, but by then I knew one thing, if nothing else. That a master carpenter sees their work through an incomprehensibly different lens than the one I 'wore' when I started.

Just to restate your point: Any field of knowledge has the potential to at some point take on the characteristics of a debate between creationists and folks who 'know' evolution.

It is concerning that public school education in America seems to universally fail at preparing kids to become responsible citizens, let alone even look out for their most narrow and short term self-interests. A high school graduate cannot reasonably expect to meaningfully understand any accurate account of the day's events.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No posts? No one wants to play Uncle Sunstone's favorite game, 'intellectual poser'?

Curious George

Veteran Member
No posts? No one wants to play Uncle Sunstone's favorite game, 'intellectual poser'?
Amusing as ever. One of these days I will have something intellectual to contribute to one of your threads. Hopefully it will take you will not foresee the conclusion too readily.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Amusing as ever. One of these days I will have something intellectual to contribute to one of your threads. Hopefully it will take you will not foresee the conclusion too readily.

Thank you! Your kind compliment just made my day!