• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Unaware of First Amendment, 67% of GOP Say Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
IMO, anyone in the U.S. who burns the American flag should leave the country and anyone outside the U.S. that burns the American flag shouldn't try to come here. America is America, love it or hate it all you want but respect the flag that many have died for. Again, that's my opinion.
This old trope? Died for the flag? Seriously?

Some care more for image than reality. I should hope they died more for what the flag symbolized than for the actual flag. It's principles that should be respected, not symbols, and it's the duty of a good citizen to actively seek and publicize discrepancies. If that involves burning the flag to call attention to the disparity, no real harm is done. It would probably engender more discussion than a letter to the editor.

Skwim

Veteran Member
IMO, anyone in the U.S. who burns the American flag should leave the country and anyone outside the U.S. that burns the American flag shouldn't try to come here. America is America, love it or hate it all you want but respect the flag that many have died for. Again, that's my opinion.
Then I assume you don't think much of the the supreme law of our nation, the U. S. Constitution.

Shad

Veteran Member

"67% of Republicans say that people who burn the U.S. flag should be stripped of their citizenship, according to a new survey from YouGov.

The people who are obsessed with the Second Amendment have no clue there’s one that comes before it.

FlagBurningYouGov.png
Sadly, 24% of Democrats said the same thing,* but at least a majority of them (64%) understand that you don’t have to love speech in order to respect freedom of it. But still! A whole bunch of Americans think freedom of speech — even speech that is symbolic and not meant to harm other people — ought to have its limits.

The survey comes weeks after Donald Trump called for a ban on flag burning, contrary to American law and Supreme Court precedent.

As I said at the time, we should be far more disturbed by a president who dry humps the American flag while his administration locks kids in cages than a citizen who destroys the flag in the hopes of drawing attention to a particular problem.

source

IOW, 180% more Republicans than Democrats are ignorant of the First Amendment, and say " Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship."

Surprising? Of course not.

There have been repeated attempts to get an amendment or exception added to the Constitution as the laws failed to stand. This issue goes back years.

Shad

Veteran Member
As a non American person i do not understand why Americans are so attached to the flag, in my eyes the Norwegian flag (i am norwegian) is just a pease of cloth that humans have given to the government of a country to "symbolise" where we come from. The flag does not make us more or less human being.

I dont say we should burn flags, but if someone did burn the Norwegian flag i would not use energy on them at all.
Why do Americans get so angry ?

For many it is just something that pisses them off as they put a lot of stock in the flag and what it means to them. Just like if someone were to burn a pride flag. It would pissed off people that put stock in that flag.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I know......pass a tax law

burn the flag
pay for it

not a penalty or crime

just something to be taxed

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They do?
Who & when?
The US has been manipulating elections, fomenting coups and revolutions, installing puppets and, if all else fails, sending in the Marines, for most of it's history; not to promote democracy or human rights, but to protect American economic interests in a region. This was particularly egregious in the Americas and the Middle East.