• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Unaware of First Amendment, 67% of GOP Say Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't forget Uncle Sam.
I know.
He's the one who wants me.
th

Shaul

Premium Member
Oh please, hit the pause button on the high dudgeon and false allegations of ignorance. The survey asked whether people should be stripped of their citizenship, not whether those surveyed thought it was legal and Constitutional to do so. So it is a false jump to conclude they were ignorant of it not being legal to do so.

Yes, it perfectly legal to burn a flag. But that doesn’t make it prudent or a good idea.
upload_2019-7-13_19-57-25.jpeg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh please, hit the pause button on the high dudgeon and false allegations of ignorance. The survey asked whether people should be stripped of their citizenship, not whether those surveyed thought it was legal and Constitutional to do so.
Useful distinction there.
It didn't occur to me...but it should've.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Oh please, hit the pause button on the high dudgeon and false allegations of ignorance. The survey asked whether people should be stripped of their citizenship, not whether those surveyed thought it was legal and Constitutional to do so. So it is a false jump to conclude they were ignorant of it not being legal to do so.

Yes, it perfectly legal to burn a flag. But that doesn’t make it prudent or a good idea.
It's still imbecilic when you consider what the flag is supposed to symbolize.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Nor imprudent or a bad idea.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The irony is that the flag is often
burned to protest the government; the same government that sends soldiers off to die as expendable pawns for a frivolous cause. To the draftee, the flag should represent the power that ****ed them.
But in the process of remolding a recruit's mindset to create a compliant, military attitude, a strong sense of tribal loyalty and support for tribal symbols is instilled. Even after military "service" the attitudes persist, and any disparagement of the country, the military or it's symbols angers.

Acknowledgement that you were duped by the country symbolized by the flag, and were fighting for corporate interests, is more discomfiting than clinging to the mythology.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand where you are coming from, I am also a veteran of that nightmare. But I also realize that fighting to protect the rights we enjoy in this country also means I may not agree with you all (or any) of the time, but you still have to right to speak your mind. If you go down to Walmart and spend nine ninety-five on an American flag, then that is your property to do as you see fit in your space. However, if you come over to my space, or try to burn my property, then we have a problem. I understand your anger, but most of these idiots have never charged a beach under heavy fire, or nearly froze to death on some nameless Korean hill, or crawled through a rice paddy hoping not to run into a sharpened bamboo stake; nor have any of them watched their friends die in their arms. Instead of a beating I would like to have taken them with me for about a week. BTW, if you had murder the moron, and if I were on your jury, you would have walked. Thank you for your service.
But the problem is, you were not fighting to protect anyone's rights. You were fighting for corporate interests and a political agenda designed to maintain America's economic and military hegemony over the world.
Military service doesn't promote the freedom and well-being of the American people, it harms it.

PureX

Veteran Member

So, people who do not agree with the Constitution of the U.S. are so upset by someone burning a flag that they want them stripped of their citizenship? That makes no sense at all. If burning a flag is so terrible, why isn't disagreeing with the laws and principals set forth in the Constitution protecting such an act, equally bad? After all the flag burners are doing it because they disagree with the the policies of the government the flag represents, same as the ones who disagree with the constitution for letting them do it. Seems like this is the black pot condemning the black kettle for being black.

wellwisher

So, people who do not agree with the Constitution of the U.S. are so upset by someone burning a flag that they want them stripped of their citizenship? That makes no sense at all. If burning a flag is so terrible, why isn't disagreeing with the laws and principals set forth in the Constitution protecting such an act, equally bad? After all the flag burners are doing it because they disagree with the the policies of the government the flag represents, same as the ones who disagree with the constitution for letting them do it. Seems like this is the black pot condemning the black kettle for being black.

I will make this easy to understand. We have a thing called PC. PC is a list of words and phrases that bother some people enough, where free speech is suspended.

Flag burning pushes the same buttons in another group of people. Both PC and flag burning should be banned, or neither should be banned. Currently, only people on the right are required to be the adults in the room. While those who swing left get to be the mentally handicapped with PC acting as medicine.

Why not add flag burning to the PC list, or why not burn the entire PC list, so everyone is treated the same?

Shaul

Premium Member
It's still imbecilic when you consider what the flag is supposed to symbolize.
Not necessarily. You think what it symbolizes would not allow it. But others think it symbolizes something that allows for it. What a symbol represents is subjective. Who is to say which interpretation is “right”? On the other hand, if a majority interprets it “their” way, then that says something too.

Shaul

Premium Member
Which is the greater insult: to burn a symbol, or to violate the principles it symbolizes?
It it only an opinion that such a ban is violating the principles it symbolizes. Isn’t it one of its principles that they could interpret what it symbolizes differently?

Shaul

Premium Member
Why not make the flag a U.S. government copyrighted item? People could use it freely within guidelines. It would no longer be a free speech issue at all, but a property rights issue.

PureX

Veteran Member
I will make this easy to understand. We have a thing called PC. PC is a list of words and phrases that bother some people enough, where free speech is suspended.

Flag burning pushes the same buttons in another group of people. Both PC and flag burning should be banned, or neither should be banned. Currently, only people on the right are required to be the adults in the room. While those who swing left get to be the mentally handicapped with PC acting as medicine.

Why not add flag burning to the PC list, or why not burn the entire PC list, so everyone is treated the same?
"PC" is a fiction created by right-wing propagandists to stir up the 'angry ignoramus' voter and turn them against their own best interests, and in favor of an oligarchy that is intent on robbing us all blind while we're distracted by such meaningless nonsense as flag-burning. So using this kind of idiocy to rationalize or justify even more idiocy is, .... well, ... just more idiocy. Stirring up the people's ignorance and bigotry to distract and control them is not a new trick. The criminal ruling classes have been using it since the dawn of 'civilization'. But it's one that a lot of people seem to fall for over and over, again.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
But in the process of remolding a recruit's mindset to create a compliant, military attitude, a strong sense of tribal loyalty and support for tribal symbols is instilled. Even after military "service" the attitudes persist, and any disparagement of the country, the military or it's symbols angers.

Acknowledgement that you were duped by the country symbolized by the flag, and were fighting for corporate interests, is more discomfiting than clinging to the mythology.

How long did you serve?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

I'd love to know what you think is on this "PC list" that you are just aching to say, but think you're not allowed to.

Burning the flag is supposed to be confronting and upsetting. It's supposed to be a powerful statement.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. You think what it symbolizes would not allow it. But others think it symbolizes something that allows for it. What a symbol represents is subjective. Who is to say which interpretation is “right”? On the other hand, if a majority interprets it “their” way, then that says something too.
Flag idolatry/fetishism is weeiirrd. o_O