• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Unaware of First Amendment, 67% of GOP Say Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship"

tytlyf

Not Religious
I've been waiting for an excuse to use this!

july4th.png
They're ignorant.

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD."
-Leviticus 19:28

download.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I believe in wearing the flag... for those who want to.
tenor.gif

I believe in burning the flag...for those who want to.
tumblr_p0h36m55ws1tsf68ao1_400.gif

I believe in planting the flag....by those moved to when conquering something or someone.
lunar-landing-moon-american-flag.jpg

I believe in pledging to the flag....for those want to.
tumblr_mmt8zz0vgq1rzbf74o1_5001.gif

PureX

Veteran Member
... but also realize there is an image/scene with most things -- there are very few actual bad actors.
I agree, but most of the harm done in any society is not done by "bad actors" doing bad things, it's done by good people doing what they think is right, without ever bothering to really question the righteousness of it. We 'go along' with our tribe because they are our tribe, even when our tribe has become horrendously selfish, brutal, bigoted, war-mongering mass murderers. We let the real "bad actors" run things into the ground because we're too lazy and willfully ignorant to bother questioning what they're doing, and what we're doing to enable them.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
From what I understand Yougov gets it's data from online polls and many responders are invited. I am inclined to regard their information as "kind of, sort of" data.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From what I understand Yougov gets it's data from online polls and many responders are invited. I am inclined to regard their information as "kind of, sort of" data.
I'm sure the OP just forgot to do it, so I'll post it for him....
Half of Democrats support a ban on hate speech | YouGov
The 1st Amendment has many detractors on both sides of the aisle, eh.

I know, I know....it's whataboutism to show that it's not just Republicans
who misunderstand or dislike the Constitutional liberties we have.
But this is useful to know nonetheless.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
As a Veteran of the Vietnam War Era, I once tried to Murder a college kid who was burning the flag, but the police pulled me off. My feelings have not changed despite Trump.

Most of those who served in Vietnam were drafted, and to insult their service....

I understand where you are coming from, I am also a veteran of that nightmare. But I also realize that fighting to protect the rights we enjoy in this country also means I may not agree with you all (or any) of the time, but you still have to right to speak your mind. If you go down to Walmart and spend nine ninety-five on an American flag, then that is your property to do as you see fit in your space. However, if you come over to my space, or try to burn my property, then we have a problem. I understand your anger, but most of these idiots have never charged a beach under heavy fire, or nearly froze to death on some nameless Korean hill, or crawled through a rice paddy hoping not to run into a sharpened bamboo stake; nor have any of them watched their friends die in their arms. Instead of a beating I would like to have taken them with me for about a week. BTW, if you had murder the moron, and if I were on your jury, you would have walked. Thank you for your service.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
BTW, if you had murder the moron, and if I were on your jury, you would have walked. Thank you for your service.
I'd have put'r in prison for life.
Ya don't get to murder people over political differences.

Too many people on both the left & the right sides of the aisle
let their anger over differences become justification to beat,
shoot, & otherwise abuse others just exercising their rights.
Someone who violates Constitutional liberties is not serving
the country.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'd have put'r in prison for life.
Ya don't get to murder people over political differences.

Too many people on both the left & the right sides of the aisle
let their anger over differences become justification to beat,
shoot, & otherwise abuse others just exercising their rights.
Someone who violates Constitutional liberties is not serving
the country.

Again a perfect example of freedom of speech; thank you for your contribution. However, as a juror, I would have used the "...beyond a reasonable doubt..." argument.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Again a perfect example of freedom of speech; thank you for your contribution. However, as a juror, I would have used the "...beyond a reasonable doubt..." argument.
Well, if she couldn't be proven to have done it, of course she'd be freed.
But my point stands....ya doesn't gets to assault people over political differences.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I understand where you are coming from, I am also a veteran of that nightmare. But I also realize that fighting to protect the rights we enjoy in this country also means I may not agree with you all (or any) of the time, but you still have to right to speak your mind. If you go down to Walmart and spend nine ninety-five on an American flag, then that is your property to do as you see fit in your space. However, if you come over to my space, or try to burn my property, then we have a problem. I understand your anger, but most of these idiots have never charged a beach under heavy fire, or nearly froze to death on some nameless Korean hill, or crawled through a rice paddy hoping not to run into a sharpened bamboo stake; nor have any of them watched their friends die in their arms. Instead of a beating I would like to have taken them with me for about a week. BTW, if you had murder the moron, and if I were on your jury, you would have walked. Thank you for your service.
The irony is that the flag is often burned to protest the government; the same government that sends soldiers off to die as expendable pawns for a frivolous cause. To the draftee, the flag should represent the power that ****ed them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The irony is that the flag is often to protest the government; the same government that sends soldiers off to die as expendable pawns for a frivolous cause. To the draftee, the flag should represent the power that ****ed them.
No kidding.
Why would I venerate a country wherein the masses select
me to do their ill conceived dirty work for them when they're
unwilling to do it themselves, nor are they willing to fairly
compensate me for my time & risk?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

"67% of Republicans say that people who burn the U.S. flag should be stripped of their citizenship, according to a new survey from YouGov.

The people who are obsessed with the Second Amendment have no clue there’s one that comes before it.

FlagBurningYouGov.png
Sadly, 24% of Democrats said the same thing,* but at least a majority of them (64%) understand that you don’t have to love speech in order to respect freedom of it. But still! A whole bunch of Americans think freedom of speech — even speech that is symbolic and not meant to harm other people — ought to have its limits.

The survey comes weeks after Donald Trump called for a ban on flag burning, contrary to American law and Supreme Court precedent.

As I said at the time, we should be far more disturbed by a president who dry humps the American flag while his administration locks kids in cages than a citizen who destroys the flag in the hopes of drawing attention to a particular problem.

source

IOW, 180% more Republicans than Democrats are ignorant of the First Amendment, and say " Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship."

Surprising? Of course not.

What a bunch of snowflakes.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I agree, but most of the harm done in any society is not done by "bad actors" doing bad things, it's done by good people doing what they think is right, without ever bothering to really question the righteousness of it. We 'go along' with our tribe because they are our tribe, even when our tribe has become horrendously selfish, brutal, bigoted, war-mongering mass murderers. We let the real "bad actors" run things into the ground because we're too lazy and willfully ignorant to bother questioning what they're doing, and what we're doing to enable them.

That's just a basic human problem anyway -- tribalism exists in every facet of our existence. The only way you can avoid it is to sort of make a point of rejecting it in your life and orienting your being to individualism. It's also important to realize that anyone can become the bad actor at any time -- there is no safe harbor. Trust anyone or anything too excessively and you're going to pay for it.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's just a basic human problem anyway -- tribalism exists in every facet of our existence. The only way you can avoid it is to sort of make a point of rejecting it in your life and orienting your being to individualism. It's also important to realize that anyone can become the bad actor at any time -- there is no safe harbor. Trust anyone or anything too excessively and you're going to pay for it.
We could TEACH ourselves about this aspect of our collective interactions, however. Or we could at least try and teach the next generations about how dangerous this tribal collusion is. And we could applaud them when they take the time to question us and debate our own presumptions of righteousness.

But we don't.

That, too, requires a mindfulness that we're not going to bother to develop, or practice.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I believe in wearing the flag... for those who want to.
tenor.gif

I believe in burning the flag...for those who want to.
tumblr_p0h36m55ws1tsf68ao1_400.gif

I believe in planting the flag....by those moved to when conquering something or someone.
lunar-landing-moon-american-flag.jpg

I believe in pledging to the flag....for those want to.
tumblr_mmt8zz0vgq1rzbf74o1_5001.gif
Don't forget Uncle Sam.