• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unacceptable reasons for a cause.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Excellent point, and it demonstrates why I'm no fan of BLM. While police brutality is indeed a serious problem, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the economic brutality that our so-called "leaders" have allowed to occur. It's economic brutality that BLM should be focusing their activities on.
Except police brutality and an unjust criminal justice system that is heavily weighted against black communities plays quite a significant role in the economic brutality you are speaking of. It is extremely difficult to try and achieve economic equality when black communities are both over policed, more significantly represented in prisons, and are rife with gang-related crime due to years of economic inequality. When black men feel that the police are actively out to harm them, rather than protect them, it's pretty hard to make an argument that economic equality can be achieved. When "Will the police protects my property rights and family as an active and advancing participant in our economy" is a secondary concern to "Will these police officers shoots and/or beat me just for holding a phone", you have to consider the ways in which policing is perceived and executed play a role in social and economic disparity.

Numerous studies have shown the effect of fatherless households, which can have a huge impact on the likelihood of children being raised in poverty, and you only need to look at the ways in which black men are over-represented in the criminal justice systems - and in prisons - to see how these two things may correlate. (SOURCES: The Causal Effects of Father Absence, The Color of Justice: Racial and Ethnic Disparity in State Prisons | The Sentencing Project)

1 in 3 black men born in 2001 can expect to see the inside of a federal prison at some point their lifetime. Do you have any idea the effect that can have on you, economically?

The economic inequality can be considered the root cause of the problem, but the issues around policing add to (if not, totally compound) those issues. They are not entirely separate and distinct. Especially when you consider that one solution proposed by BLM would be to defund the police, then put that money into extending and improving economic welfare programmes and community engagement. The aim of this is to improve opportunities for black communities, partly by preventing over-policing which can significantly harm black people's economic opportunities by compounding the associations between black communities and criminality, and the constant and harrowing effect of tying black people up in the prison-industrial complex.

The issues of policing and economics are not separate and distinct. They are all part of the same system of inequality that adds up to the vast economic disparity we see today. You can talk about reforming both and, in my opinion, it is absolutely necessary to do so.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That's who owns them.
Huh?
I saw a video of a man who was yelling at the protesters.
they just destroyed his store.
He was yelling at them "WHY?"
He came from the projects and was able to build up a store.
A little "Mom and Pop" shop.
Built it up from nothing.
Just to have it destroyed by protesters.

Which big corporation do you think owned him?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Huh?
I saw a video of a man who was yelling at the protesters.
they just destroyed his store.
He was yelling at them "WHY?"
He came from the projects and was able to build up a store.
A little "Mom and Pop" shop.
Built it up from nothing.
Just to have it destroyed by protesters.

Which big corporation do you think owned him?
I was referring to the corporations mentioned in Jayhawker's post.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
No... it is an organization:

our-co-founders

As I said several organizations have tried to co-op the slogan Black Lives Matter. The organization that caused the Chicago riot has the problem. The Black Lives Matter that townships have painted on stretches' of roads in my area do not.