• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unable to kill.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is a great aspiration to live by. But it is impossible of course - because we kill sentient beings every day, but not necessarily intentionally or knowingly. A zen-sounding question: To live is to kill - what are you going to do?
I am aware micro-organism are killed by me sitting in a sofa, or when I walk. The philosophy behind non voilant life is to being conscious and avoiding harming where ever possible.
To consiously do action that harm nobody.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One day you realise that the physical action of being hurt is nothing compared to the phycological fear of being hurt. That is the day you can strike back, that is the day you realise you do not have to win a fight to beat the bully.
In my own life i was bullied as a child, I chose forgivness of those who harmed me.

I know not everyone will be able to do so.

Gargovic Malkav

One day you realise that the physical action of being hurt is nothing compared to the phycological fear of being hurt. That is the day you can strike back, that is the day you realise you do not have to win a fight to beat the bully.

For me it was mostly the fear of going too far, the fear that I might kill them or maim them for life that made me so reluctant to fight.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The thing is. I can take a bullet for you. But I will not wish others to die for me.
I cant answer if this is a form of selfishness or not :oops:
Sai Baba answered a similar question, and explained very simple, using easy to understand words, how to know whether or not it's Ego

Man asks Sai Baba:"I Want enlightenment, what should I do?"
Sai Baba answers:
1) Cross the ego (I Want Enlightenment)
2) Cross the desire (I Want Enlightenment)
*) What remains is Enlightenment
@stvdvRF

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sai Baba answered a similar question, and explained very simple, using easy to understand words, how to know whether or not it's Ego

Sai Baba answers:
Very wise words :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Sai Baba answers:
To say "I can take a bullet for you" and doing it is two very different things :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
In an other thread the discussion about killing or not killing (pasifist) arise.
And @mikkel_the_dane argued that he would kill to save me in a situation of danger.
Personally I can not accept that other people get killed to save my life, nor can i or will i kill an other being.

Realizing this, comes with its challenges due to people think they can not trust a pasifist. The thing is. I can take a bullet for you. But I will not wish others to die for me.

Sometimes killing someone can be the most loving thing to do for the sake of others imo.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Sai Baba answers:

I know I exist and I know my desires exist but I don't know about enlightenment.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I can not say what would be right for you :)
In my understanding only God can end someones life. Humans can do that without sinning.

Imo if I am killing because of my love for others than it is not sin.
But yes it would be different for different people I think.

stvdv

To say "I can take a bullet for you" and doing it is two very different things :)
:)
That is the most valuable lessons my Guru (Master) taught me (thought, word and deed should be one)

Realizing this, comes with its challenges due to people think they can not trust a pasifist. The thing is. I can take a bullet for you. But I will not wish others to die for me.
The Masters I have met always cut right through such claims, and put me back on my feet, saying something along these lines:

You may think you know what you will do now, in the present moment, but unless you have done it before, it's just speculation
You never know what you will do in the future OR under extreme duress, unless you are Omniscient.
Making such claims is nothing more than just speculation, which is useless for a Spiritual Aspirant

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
:)
That is the most valuable lessons my Guru (Master) taught me (thought, word and deed should be one)

The Masters I have met always cut right through such claims, and put me back on my feet, saying something along these lines:

You may think you know what you will do now, in the present moment, but unless you have done it before, it's just speculation
You never know what you will do in the future OR under extreme duress, unless you are Omniscient.
Making such claims is nothing more than just speculation, which is useless for a Spiritual Aspirant
If you feel it is a claim i cant stand by, I respect that :)

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... It's easy to say one way or the other what people would do, but that means very little until people are tested.

I suppose that's why I'd say I prefer a nonviolent rout, but until I experience an event like someone breaking into my home and trying to kill me, I couldn't say I wouldn't try to defend myself using lethal means. So far I've been able to skate by in life without having to resort to violence much, but had I lived in a neighborhood where violence was the main spoken language, I may not have had that luxury.

stvdv

Sai Baba answers:
@stvdvRF
I know I exist and I know my desires exist but I don't know about enlightenment.
Exactly, that's why you/I don't know yet

And the above Teaching explains how to get there to "experiencing Enlightenment"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In an other thread the discussion about killing or not killing (pasifist) arise.
And @mikkel_the_dane argued that he would kill to save me in a situation of danger.
Personally I can not accept that other people get killed to save my life, nor can i or will i kill an other being.

I guess it depends on if it's human instinct or not. If instinct, like protecting a cub or having an inherent care for others to protect them, in respects to the other person's life, I don't see a problem in that view.

The actually killing, yes, but the only context I can see it justified is my human instinct and protection. Not many Want to kill to protect others, but they do cause they want to see people they love or countries they live in have long lives.

As for people dying for you by killing another same logic. But it depends on how you see the value of your life to believe it is right for others to have someone human empathy to protect it.

Not out of murder, planned killing but human instinct, protection.

--

I.e. when I'm crossing a busy street and someone adult, child, whoever is coming in my direction I'd walk outside and let them walk inside the crosswalk. Not specifically that I want to kill myself for them to not be hit but more of an inherent connection to protect.

It depends on how you view killing, the value of life in regards to whether you protect it, and context.

I don't agree with killing period. I understand it may be justified.