• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN Human Rights US Withdraw

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Looking at the current membership of that council, I see countries that should never be on any council concerned with human rights. And given that membership, I think that organization is meaningless except as a vehicle for propaganda. I'll give her this one - many of the nations there are pro-Palestinian or at least give lip-service to the Arab cause and could care less about true human rights.

OHCHR | HRC Membership of the Human Rights Council, 1 January - 31 December 2018 in case someone is interested.

Shad

Veteran Member
What do people think of the US wanting to withdraw from the UN Human Rights Council. Nikki Haley says they are unfair and bias toward Israel for not wanting Israel to bomb Palestine. What are your thoughts? Is there a “chronic anti-Israel bias”? Should the US withdraw from the Human Rights Council?

US expected to withdraw from UN Human Rights Council: report

Considering some of the shining examples (dripping sarcasm) the council is a joke. I would support withdrawing on that basis alone. Haley is right the council has avoided condemning Hamas in events. Mostly as the motions against Israel are by the Muslim bloc thus not quick to condemn their side.

Shushersbedamned

bias toward Israel for not wanting Israel to bomb Palestine
Are you saying they should like Israel to bomb Palestine?

Withdrawing from that is just another Trump fail. Made on purpose so you would have something to talk about.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Withdrawing from that is just another Trump fail. Made on purpose so you would have something to talk about.
Not by a long shot. The UN Human Rights council has been a bad joke for going on a decade.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
What do people think of the US wanting to withdraw from the UN Human Rights Council. Nikki Haley says they are unfair and bias toward Israel for not wanting Israel to bomb Palestine. What are your thoughts? Is there a “chronic anti-Israel bias”? Should the US withdraw from the Human Rights Council?

Yep, no way that's a troubling development.

Shushersbedamned

Looking at the current membership of that council, I see countries that should never be on any council concerned with human rights. And given that membership, I think that organization is meaningless except as a vehicle for propaganda. I'll give her this one - many of the nations there are pro-Palestinian or at least give lip-service to the Arab cause and could care less about true human rights.
It's very important they are part of that. And what is the prob with Palestina? You know it's a complicated matter and not black and white.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle

They never recognized the UN anyways, I doubt they would be missed.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I am paraphrasing but they, US, is saying it’s ok for Israel to bomb Palestine but not the other way around. They claim bias against Israel but want to give Israel a green light. That’s what I am gathering.

Shushersbedamned

I am paraphrasing but they, US, is saying it’s ok for Israel to bomb Palestine but not the other way around. They claim bias against Israel but want to give Israel a green light. That’s what I am gathering.
The UN has been trying to get them both to stop the fighting for ages. Also one of the things Trump was supposed to have an easy solution to. And one of the things the Israelis never forgave Obama was that he wasn't against the Palestinians.

It's true the plan isn't working but it's also true that we cannot stop trying. And that both sides have done wrong. And everyone must stay part of UN so as to have best possible means of solving such problems.

rosends

Then you are gathering wrong. The constant stream of resolutions aimed at Israel, ignoring human rights issues in the rest of the world, and demanding things of Israel which are not issues of human rights, shows a statistical bias which reflects a political agenda. The fact that Item 7 even exists shows how much of a sham the council is.

Kangaroo Feathers

That's how I took your meaning. Seemed pretty unambiguous.

Kangaroo Feathers

Then you are gathering wrong. The constant stream of resolutions aimed at Israel, ignoring human rights issues in the rest of the world, and demanding things of Israel which are not issues of human rights, shows a statistical bias which reflects a political agenda. The fact that Item 7 even exists shows how much of a sham the council is.
...For example?

Shushersbedamned

Israel is the victim.