• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukraine foreign legion,good idea or bad.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why would it be a problem?
Perhaps because Putin could claim that members of NATO are involved, regardless of being private citizens, and offer up his nuclear threat with some conviction behind it? Not nice. I don't think people should be upping the risk or lowering the bar for Putin to do the unimaginable. He seems like one angry, crazy, mother****er at the moment. :oops:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Ukraine's president has welcomed foreign nationals who wish to fight alongside the Ukrainians against Russia,Liz Truss said she supports anyone from the UK who wishes to go,apparently and according to president Zelensky there are many volunteers from all over europe,does this have the potential to go very wrong and why?.

Ukraine conflict: Liz Truss backs people from UK who want to fight
No problems.

During the dreadful early years of WWII American pilots were joining up to fly for the RAF, and some extremely brave US guys were flying supplies in to our retreating troops in Burma, even risking landing on to hacked out airstrips to evacuate our wounded.

My Dad often mentioned a big Texan man who always had a cigar on, who risked his aircraft for our wounded. Apparently he stood by his plane chatting about the weather as if he was on a pleasure excursion.... guts, unbelievable guts.

So if any of ours want to go to Ukraine for whatever kind of service........ ok, I suggest.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Perhaps because Putin could claim that members of NATO are involved, regardless of being private citizens, and offer up his nuclear threat with some conviction behind it? :oops:
He's going to do that anyway.
After Ukraine he'll be trying for Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, even Finland...... or Poland?

You could always dig out your shelter.... :D

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Perhaps because Putin could claim that members of NATO are involved, regardless of being private citizens, and offer up his nuclear threat with some conviction behind it? Not nice. I don't think people should be upping the risk or lowering the bar for Putin to do the unimaginable. He seems like one angry, crazy, mother****er at the moment. :oops:

I sense it wouldn't make much difference, given that Putin is quite capable of fabricating justifications for his aggression. He reminds me of Goebbels at times.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
No problems.

During the dreadful early years of WWII American pilots were joining up to fly for the RAF, and some extremely brave US guys were flying supplies in to our retreating troops in Burma, even risking landing on to hacked out airstrips to evacuate our wounded.

My Dad often mentioned a big Texan man who always had a cigar on, who risked his aircraft for our wounded. Apparently he stood by his plane chatting about the weather as if he was on a pleasure excursion.... guts, unbelievable guts.

So if any of ours want to go to Ukraine for whatever kind of service........ ok, I suggest.

I just though i as being propaganda ammunition for putin but really he fabricates bull**** to suit him,it will be interesting how many go.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
He's going to do that anyway.
After Ukraine he'll be trying for Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, even Finland...... or Poland?

You could always dig out your shelter.... :D
I'm not sure he actually wants to destroy the world, even though he has been quoted as saying that if Russia is annihilated (not sure where he ever got that notion from - and no one wants such) then the world can go to Hell, or something to that effect. And as to which, he is a truly delusional and dangerous individual, just as they are who are quite happy to see the 'End is Nigh' - as long as it fulfils their cherished predictions from their cherished religious beliefs. Much the same really. :oops:

I'm old enough not to be that bothered - what with all the washing, cooking, walking to the shops ... :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I just though i as being propaganda ammunition for putin but really he fabricates bull**** to suit him,it will be interesting how many go.
Yes.... Putin will push this war and the next and the next as far as they can go, constantly threatening to push the buttons.
If Ukraine and the West can just hold on then maybe, just maybe the people of Russia might take more trouble over who leads them next time......

And good luck to any Europeans who go to Ukraine to support its struggles.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm not sure he actually wants to destroy the world, even though he has been quoted as saying that if Russia is annihilated (not sure where he ever got that notion from - and no one wants such) then the world can go to Hell, or something to that effect. And as to which, he is a truly delusional and dangerous individual, just as they are who are quite happy to see the 'End is Nigh' - as long as it fulfils their cherished predictions from their cherished religious beliefs. Much the same really. :oops:

I'm old enough not to be that bothered - what with all the washing, cooking, walking to the shops ... :D
That's the thing.....a losing Putin with career shattered might just do something far more dreadful than just being an international bandit. I wonder if somebody in Russia might do something wonderful for the world?

I'm old enough not to be that bothered as well...for myself. But for the younger generations I'm very bothered.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's the thing.....a losing Putin with career shattered might just do something far more dreadful than just being an international bandit. I wonder if somebody in Russia might do something wonderful for the world?

I'm old enough not to be that bothered as well...for myself. But for the younger generations I'm very bothered.
Well I can't believe the people around him are all so stupid as to do what he says regardless of the consequences - given that he does seem to be suffering from some delusions of grandeur and whatever, and where most will not have such. But that is just a hope - since I don't see Russians in general as villains. Likewise, I can empathise how many might be feeling now - for me it is mostly anger towards a horrible little twat. :oops:

Martin

Ben Wallace (UK defence minister) has now advised against people without military experience travelling to Ukraine.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yes.... Putin will push this war and the next and the next as far as they can go, constantly threatening to push the buttons.
If Ukraine and the West can just hold on then maybe, just maybe the people of Russia might take more trouble over who leads them next time......

And good luck to any Europeans who go to Ukraine to support its struggles.

I hope the russians do boot him out but it's extremely hard,heres what i meant about ammunition.

Ukraine conflict: Russia blames Liz Truss and others for nuclear alert

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well I can't believe the people around him are all so stupid as to do what he says regardless of the consequences - given that he does seem to be suffering from some delusions of grandeur and whatever, and where most will not have such. But that is just a hope - since I don't see Russians in general as villains. Likewise, I can empathise how many might be feeling now - for me it is mostly anger towards a horrible little twat. :oops:
I do hope that bloke catches a bad cold. The Beeb reported that he is terrified of Covid. That, or a car smash, whatever......anything.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yes, the Beeb gas reported about that link.
Russia has acted like an international gangster yet wants to criticise any attempts to help it's prey.
Liz Truss has given us the freedom of choice that we are mostly about.

Like you, I'm wondering how many might go.....

I think theyll get quite a lot from all over.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think there is a risk if the backing is too overtly from the government. One does not want to hand Putin a free shot at accusing states of "warmongering" or "escalation", or even falsely claiming such people are secretly from the armed forces. In my view it has to be clear that this is strictly in a private capacity, at this point.
He can make those claims anyway, given his penchant
for outrageous claims. The issue is instead whether
such foreign involvement would provoke him to behave
even worse. He doesn't seem all that rational.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ukraine's president has welcomed foreign nationals who wish to fight alongside the Ukrainians against Russia,Liz Truss said she supports anyone from the UK who wishes to go,apparently and according to president Zelensky there are many volunteers from all over europe,does this have the potential to go very wrong and why?.

Ukraine conflict: Liz Truss backs people from UK who want to fight
I'm surprised the French foreign legion isn't already there.

Mercenary armies might have uses but they are expensive and likely to turn to the better benefactor and join the opposing force once the contract expires.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I'm surprised the French foreign legion isn't already there.

Mercenary armies might have uses but they are expensive and likely to turn to the better benefactor and join the opposing force once the contract expires.

They're still on france's payroll though and would be seen as an act of war by france.

Martin

There was a BBC news report today showing Ukrainian men in London loading up vans for the trip to Ukraine. They intend to fight, and have bought up a load of British army surplus gear.
Meanwhile the UK government has reminded Head-girl Truss that Foreign Office advice is not to travel to Ukraine. Oops!