• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK republicanism - flag?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: Were the UK to become a republic should we keep our current flag, or rebrand ourselves and get a new one?

This is now the flag of Hungary

But before the Hungarians adopted it it was the flag of the British republican movement - up until around 1935, apparently

They wanted Britain to adopt this as our our national flag

I have almost always been a republican

But I don't see why in the event of us ditching the monarchy we'd need to ditch our flag!

Seriously, having a monarchy is ridiculous

But our flag is striking, well known, and easily recognisable

So let's abolish the royals and keep our flag

That's what I think anyway

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Question: Were Britain to become a republic should we keep our current flag, or rebrand ourselves and get a new one?

But before the Hungarians adopted it it was the flag of the British republican movement - up until around 1935, apparently

But I don't see why in the event of us ditching the monarchy we'd need to ditch our flag!

When Scotland leaves the Union, the flag will have to change anyway: no blue and no St Andrew's Cross.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Question: Were Britain to become a republic should we keep our current flag, or rebrand ourselves and get a new one?

The Union Jack is iconic and steeped in tradition.

Same as the states.

It ought to be a keeper.

Maybe two flags?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Question: Were the UK to become a republic should we keep our current flag, or rebrand ourselves and get a new one?

I do wish you guys would hurry up. Australians are so apathetic about the issue, I'm starting to doubt I'll see Australia become a republic in my lifetime.

*grumbles*

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have the perfect Republican flag for you, we don't have any use for it here any longer:

41iFTN52-XL._AC_.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
They hopefully were unaware of how their stage looked just like the Odal Rune that was used by Hitler's SS. I have no idea what they were thinking myself.
I find it very hard to believe they could have 'accidentally' mimicked such a specific shape. But I thought the nazi SS used those dual lightening bolts that looked like "S"s.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Union Jack is iconic and steeped in tradition.

Same as the states.

It ought to be a keeper.

Maybe two flags?
To honour that tradition, it would have to be changed when Scotland leaves the Union.

And tradition aside, the Union Jack has no official status as the UK's national flag, and only started being used as a de facto national flag in the early 1900s.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I find it very hard to believe they could have 'accidentally' mimicked such a specific shape. But I thought the nazi SS used those dual lightening bolts that looked like "S"s.
The two Ss were the symbol for the SS overall. The Odal rune was used in the insignias for certain SS divisions.

And after the swastika was banned in Germany and other countries, the Odal rune becane one of the symbols used in the swastika's place by neo-Nazi groups.

Odal (rune)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree, it could have been on purpose. And to be more specific it was used by the 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen:

Odal (rune)

800px-7th_SS_Division_Logo.svg.png