• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Elections

Baydwin

03.jpg

I'm curious, I've already decided who I'm voting for, had done before they announced the election. How many of you have yet to decide?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Even though I am American, I am a little exicted to see Nick Clegg, and the Liberal Democrats, surge in the polls.

Aquitaine

Voting is just a show to stop the masses from revolting, it doesn't actually change anything. As you guessed, I don't vote. Besides the majority of our new legislation comes from the EU parliament anyways.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Voting is just a show to stop the masses from revolting, it doesn't actually change anything. As you guessed, I don't vote. Besides the majority of our new legislation comes from the EU parliament anyways.

I understand your cynicism, but it is unfounded. If American voters did not choose President Obama in the 2008 elections, we would never have gotten a health insurance reform plan passed.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I understand your cynicism, but it is unfounded. If American voters did not choose President Obama in the 2008 elections, we would never have gotten a health insurance reform plan passed.

Hear Hear.

That cynical attitude gets us nowhere, blood!

Yes democracy is flawed, but its the best we got at present. The people of Britain can make a change, the only thing that gets in the way is the apathy and laziness of the non-voter.

Onkara

I like the Lib Dems. Perhaps because they haven't had the chance to disappoint me yet :)

Last edited:

Aquitaine

By "American voters" you mean the Electors at the Electoral College?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

By "American voters" you mean the Electors at the Electoral College?

Electors who we elect. I realize it is crazy that we have other people vote for us, but they almost always vote the way the people elect them to vote. It is not a problem.

Aquitaine

Electors who we elect. I realize it is crazy that we have other people vote for us, but they almost always vote the way the people elect them to vote. It is not a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong but half of the US States have no penalty for an Elector breaking his pledge and voting for someone else/no-one?

Besides, it don't matter who gets in, big business, industry and banks do so much lobbying that they practically pull all the strings anyways. And let's not even forget the very real possibility of election fraud.

Voting is a waste of time.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

Correct me if I'm wrong but half of the US States have no penalty for an Elector breaking his pledge and voting for someone else/no-one?

Technically true, but electors never break their pledges. +99 percent of electors vote for their party candidate. I believe on two electors have dissented in the last half century.

Besides, it don't matter who gets in, big business, industry and banks do so much lobbying that they practically pull all the strings anyways. And let's not even forget the very real possibility of election fraud.

The Business Lobby has considerably influence, but without a Democratic congress and President with some sense of liberal idealism, we would never have extended coverage to 32 million Americans.

Voting is a waste of time.

Don't be a cynic. :cool:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Vote Labour. :D

New Labour is not the equivalent of Democrat.

New Labour took us to war. New Labour have lied to the people. to sort out the deficit Labour want to tax the people instead of firing Browns pointless bureaucrats.
Voting Labour means footing the bill for the economic crisis. Literally, Brown is going to take £6bn FROM US in the form of a jobs tax.
Cameron wants to make savings within government. Brown maybe a good economist, but he's a sneaky one. He's done some terribly dishonest things over the past 13 yrs which have cost hundreds of thousands people their life savings. I don't trust him.

No doubt he will save the economy, but he will happily **** the people in the process.

I'm behind the Lib Dems all the way.

I think Cameron will get it though.