• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U'd like $400/mo. UBI w/Medicare 4all coverage?

Do you favor $400/mo.Universal Basic Income (UBI) w/Medicare 4all coverage?

• Yes: I'd favor $400/mo. UBI w/Medicare 4all as proposed.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No: I'd oppose $400/mo. UBI w/Medicare 4all as proposed.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

BSM1

What? Me worry?
For one thing, $400 is not sufficient.

But, that aside, it’s a move in the right direction.

Regardless of how the people spend the money (which they would do), the money would at least stimulate the economy and provide jobs. Much more so than giving trillions to billionaires to stash away, with the false hope that it would trickle down.

The decades following WW2 were some of the most prosperous for the largest percentage of the population, and taxes were far far higher than they are today. Mr. trickledown sold the country a load of manure, and the state of the economy shows it.

What state would that be? You mean the strongest economy we've had in 30 years? Or do you mean the lowest unemployment rate in over 2 decades? Or maybe you mean the lowest unemployment rate for blacks, women, and hispanics ever? Or do you mean something different that is not evident?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
As the rest of the planet has a short memory or living in an oppressive state

Europe, South Korea, Japan, etc. are "oppressive states"? Why aren't they staring at the U.S., enviously yearning for our privatized medical coverage with its obscene price gouging, copay, and debt? In this country you could work hard and manage money well yet still be financially ruined by an illness or injury. All too often we see families resorting to crowdfunding, pleading with the community to keep their children alive. Isn't that a little ****ed up?

Shad

Veteran Member
Europe, South Korea, Japan, etc. are "oppressive states"?

Any state without freedom of speech is one in my view. Do not confuse oppressive with malice oppression.

Japan does not accept foreign Muslim immigrants. Also look at their citizenship laws. SK was a dictatorship for decades. SK will fine people for political cartoons.... Europe has a massive history of suppression of speech in the past and now. Not the best examples you thought those were.

Why aren't they staring at the U.S., enviously yearning for our privatized medical coverage with its obscene price gouging, copay, and debt?

As they like high taxes and free stuff. Yet the US is still the leader in medical developments.

In this country you could work hard and manage money well yet still be financially ruined by an illness or injury. All too often we see families resorting to crowdfunding, pleading with the community to keep their children alive. Isn't that a little ****ed up?

No it is life. I have no idea why X person's health is bad so why do I care? If a person smokes for 40 years why do they get public dole for ruining their own health? I believe in helping people that need help not help from self-inflicted damage.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

What state would that be? You mean the strongest economy we've had in 30 years? Or do you mean the lowest unemployment rate in over 2 decades? Or maybe you mean the lowest unemployment rate for blacks, women, and hispanics ever? Or do you mean something different that is not evident?
A state that you are not able to see.
Let’s see, a state where a family could pay for their living expenses with a single paycheck from a manufacturing job. A state where the family could save and pay their children’s college tuition. (And not be saddled with a mountain of debt) A state where it was virtually unheard of for people to end up in bankruptcy over an illness. (Or saddled with a mountain of debt). A state where anyone who had a job could save for a down payment on a home and eventually buy one in almost any place they wanted in the country. (Without a mountain of debt). A state where a middle class family could own a vacation home. (Without a mountain of debt). I’m pretty much talking about a middle class lifestyle available to a huge percentage of the population then, but not the case today.

Last edited by a moderator:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
A state that you are not able to see.
Let’s see, a state where a family could pay for their living expenses with a single paycheck from a manufacturing job. A state where the family could save and pay their children’s college tuition. (And not be saddled with a mountain of debt) A state where it was virtually unheard of for people to end up in bankruptcy over an illness. (Or saddled with a mountain of debt). A state where anyone who had a job could save for a down payment on a home and eventually buy one in almost any place they wanted in the country. (Without a mountain of debt). A state where a middle class family could own a vacation home. (Without a mountain of debt). I’m pretty much talking about a middle class lifestyle available to a huge percentage of the population then, but not the case today.

"A state you are not able to see..." Exactly. A state that does not exist except in the minds of haters. (Thanks for making my case, BTW.)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
No it is life. I have no idea why X person's health is bad so why do I care? If a person smokes for 40 years why do they get public dole for ruining their own health? I believe in helping people that need help not help from self-inflicted damage.

Under my universal Medicare A coverage along with the $400/month UBI benefit; everybody gets this benefit; also smokers would contribute more into paying more taxes by way of an increased 50 cent per pack of cigarettes. drinkers would also contribute into paying more taxes by way of paying a 50 percent increase in the excise tax on adult beverages alcohol content.

My proposed expansion of Medicare A into universal hospital insurance coverage (with $2,500 deductible per insured) would result in $900 billion of spending on Medicare A that would correspond with a $600 billion elimination of federal spending on medicaid. Medicare payroll taxes at current levels of taxation would pay the remaining $300 billion. A public option for Medicare B coverage would be financed completely with user premiums. ....:)

The approximate $1.14 trillion annual cost for a $400 monthly Universal Basic Income (UBI) benefit would be partly offset by a $459 billion reduction of federal government annual spending with a $127 billion elimination of spending on food stamps and agricultural subsidies. $112 billion on the elimination of federalized spending on education, $41 billion elimination of urban housing and development spending, elimination of $33 billion of federal spending on unemployment compensation, $60 billion reduction of social security disability payments, $3 billion elimination of renewable, fossil fuel, or nuclear energy subsidies, $23 billion reduction in foreign aid spending, $5 billion elimination of U.S. department of labor spending on job corp, job training services and community services for senior citizens , $65 billion elimination of military spending by way of ending the overseas contingency. So then, the net annual current cost of this $400/month U.B.I benefit is approximately $671 billion.

The overall estimated $671 billion annual current net cost of my proposed $400/mo U.B.I. benefit program along with universal medicare A coverage (with $2,500 deductible per insured person) could be paid for with the following modest tax hikes :

Increasing the top marginal federal income tax rate from 37% to 43% along with increasing the second highest top marginal federal income tax rate from 35% to 38%, an increase of the corporate tax rate from 21% to 25%, an additional 80 cent/gallon fuel excise tax, an additional 50 cent tobacco excise tax on each pack of cigarettes, a 50 percent increase of excise taxes on adult beverage alcohol content, a doubling of federal excise taxes on air travelers and national park visitors, and the reduction of the exemption on the federal estate tax from $10 million to $5 million , and a new tax that'd be a modest 4 percent national retail sales tax on new vehicle purchases.

Once anybody, who isn't in the top one percent of income earners, realizes he/she would receive far more in benefits ($4,800 a year in universal basic income along with hospital insurance coverage) than he/she would pay with my proposed federal excise tax hikes, he/she should be in favor of my proposed $400/mo. U.B.I. benefit with universal hospital insurance coverage. ....:)

Last edited: