• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Veteran Suicide Rate

F1fan

Veteran Member
Not surprising, sadly. The US suicide rate in general keeps going up every year. There's obviously something very wrong with our society if we're killing ourselves in epidemic numbers.
The access to mental health in the USA is terrible. Insurance companies often don't include mental health care, or have very limited coverage. There is very little subsidized or free mental health services due to budget cuts. As an examlple Texas governor Greg Abbott cut the mental health budget by $211, which was a disturbing fact when Abbott blamed poor mental health for the Uvalde killer. More people are having to seek emergency mental health services at hospitals, which are often already at capacity. The best they can do is hold the patient for a few hours and medicate them if possible. Medication is being used more and more for those with menatl health issues because there is a lack of mental health practioners available to serve those in need. The high suicide rates is likley due to a lack of needed care.

pearl

Medication is being used more and more for those with menatl health issues because there is a lack of mental health practioners available to serve those in need. The high suicide rates is likley due to a lack of needed care.

Because its cheaper. Insurance companies do not want to pay a private physiatrist for therapy.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The access to mental health in the USA is terrible. Insurance companies often don't include mental health care, or have very limited coverage. There is very little subsidized or free mental health services due to budget cuts. As an examlple Texas governor Greg Abbott cut the mental health budget by $211, which was a disturbing fact when Abbott blamed poor mental health for the Uvalde killer. More people are having to seek emergency mental health services at hospitals, which are often already at capacity. The best they can do is hold the patient for a few hours and medicate them if possible. Medication is being used more and more for those with menatl health issues because there is a lack of mental health practioners available to serve those in need. The high suicide rates is likley due to a lack of needed care.

The suicide rates among the elderly are jumping up too. More and more elderly people are dying "deaths of despair", suicide/drug overdose, etc.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not surprising, sadly. The US suicide rate in general keeps going up every year. There's obviously something very wrong with our society if we're killing ourselves in epidemic numbers.
We need to restart the YMCA, and we need more things like it. I don't know what killed the YMCA, but it should not have been killed. We need something for men when we lose our way -- something other than the streets, prison and insane asylums. We need a David or a lot of David type people.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
We need to restart the YMCA, and we need more things like it. I don't know what killed the YMCA, but it should not have been killed. We need something for men when we lose our way -- something other than the streets, prison and insane asylums. We need a David or a lot of David type people.

There's YMCA's where I live. Not sure what you mean by killed?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There's YMCA's where I live. Not sure what you mean by killed?
Same here. I think its because it's not as popular as it was in the 60s and 70s.

They do have Young Boys and Girls clubs in the inner city as well. Still see a commercial now and then.

muhammad_isa

There's something very wrong with the whole world. :(

We are accelerating towards disaster of our own making..
..climate-change due to materialistic, selfish indifference.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife says some of them do. Gateway Family YMCA.

The ones that don't afaik offer social services, and showers. And a few other services to the needy.

Edit: The Gateway Family YMCA | Home
Ah. I did not realize, and in NC and VA the YMCA's I know of no longer do. I don't mean to blame our problems on the YMCA either. I merely think we need something better for homeless men that helps them recuperate, retrain and become.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Ah. I did not realize, and in NC and VA the YMCA's I know of no longer do. I don't mean to blame our problems on the YMCA either. I merely think we need something better for homeless men that helps them recuperate, retrain and become.

We need much better homeless care all around. It's really bad here. The churches can't/won't help, and other services are constantly being defunded. One county here only has 14 detox beds, and it covers Greater Seattle.

We Never Know

No Slack

"Only 7% of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly 13% of the homeless adult population are veterans."

Veteran Homelessness.