• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. shoots 50-60 Tomahawk Missiles at Assad's Airforce

Did Trump make the right decision attacking Assad so quickly?

• Yes

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters

Theweirdtophat

This is all to get us against each other. We all were falling for it when the twin towers fell and went to Afghanistan then Iraq, both of which had nothing to do with it, and find the weapons of mass destruction that never existed. Notice how quickly they post these pictures particularly of those harmed by the chemical attack. It's all to stir people up once again so that we can fight and risk our lives for a war that's not going to end and will never end. The War on Terror won't end, just like the war on poverty or the war on drugs. How many times are we going to fall for the same trick? It won't end because with the war on terror, there is no country to fight and no way to define a winner, so it goes on forever

Nobody asks these questions. You just assume everything in the media is correct, when they have been lying for decades?

Even if he did, which I don't think he did, since he has nothing to gain from it, why does the US have to interfere every single time? We're losing money and lives over all of these wars. Our national defense is weakened because of how spread out we are over the world. We can't save the entire world. Not realistic. We only have so much money and resources to do so.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If there is one thing I know for sure it's that every single word that comes out of Putin's mouth is not true. He is not to be trusted ... or even listened to.

Trump is? The Rebels are? Some claim the US has been supporting ISIS all along. It's easy to mislead folks. This just puts us all closer to war doesn't it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Why is Russia backing Assad? Anything to do with Putin's beliefs in dictatorships?

Some of this is speculation but IMO, Putin is not good for the world given his track record.
I think Putin's goal is to put Russia back on the map as a world power. Part of that strategy is gaining control in the ME, by making allies, scaring the rest with their might, and generally undermining the US's relationships there. If Assad wins this civil war, Russia will gain a strong ally and some clout and prestige in the region.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I've gotta say, I'm happy with Trump for this. I'm glad we attacked and I'm glad we acted quickly.

But, Russian military was most likely there, so this could erupt into a bigger conflict.

What are your thoughts?

Who paid the price of the missiles? and what USA has to gain out of it, just wondering.
The cost for this shot was around $49,088,000

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
Toppling Saddam Hussein is the main reason. Partisan politics in the USA is another biggie.
Tom
Ok, agree that the removal of Saddam Hussein was the first factor, then we have the follow on factor of the US cutting and running after we broke Iraq.

esmith

Veteran Member
Even though I put my peacenik credentials in jeopardy, I voted "yes". To have not reacted would have sent out the wrong "message".

However, there are two mitigating factors that we must realize. One is that this really doesn't change much of anything other than just being a warning, and two is that there's the "law of unforeseen circumstances" that could kick in.

BTW, where are those people now who said that Hillary was more of a "war-monger" than Trump? They must be hiding somewhere near by. Anyone seen them?
Yep still here.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Ok, agree that the removal of Saddam Hussein was the first factor, then we have the follow on factor of the US cutting and running after we broke Iraq.
The cutting and running was primarily due to the agreement the Bush Administration made with the government of Iraq, as I am sure you recall.
Also Obama keeping a very popular campaign promise to bring our soldiers home. Even the Republican candidates were making similar claims to end our involvement. And the Iraqis were firmly in favor of their own sovereignty being returned.
I realize how important it is to you to blame Obama, but the facts are facts.
Tom

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Looking things deeper and realizing that false flags have happened is not a theory.
What "false flags" do you have evidence for?
I don't see you backing up your claims. I'm putting two and two together and following the money
What claims specifically? I'm glad to back up any of them.
Ask me why would Assad randomly kill citizens. Where does he get the advantage from that?
He's done it before without real justification. He's a dictator who is losing control. Dictators tend to act without reason when that happens. As you suggest, it's common sense. All it takes is a look at history.
It's all to get us and Russia against each other among others. Who would do that? The elitists and the elite that are behind them? Why? Because they are dividing and conquering. Why do that? Because it's easier to rule everything when everything is weakened and divided, so that you can take over and build things your way. This isn't a theory, it's common sense.
Putin and Russia are bad actors. That is undeniable. I think a fight between us and Putin is unavoidable, no matter what conspiracy is in place. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Trump is? The Rebels are? Some claim the US has been supporting ISIS all along. It's easy to mislead folks. This just puts us all closer to war doesn't it.
There is no evidence whatsoever that the US is supporting ISIS, so that is mere nonsense (unless you have some evidence that isn't merely circumstantial). Trump is not trustworthy, and neither are the rebels. It's a mess, no question about it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Who paid the price of the missiles? and what USA has to gain out of it, just wondering.
The cost for this shot was around $49,088,000
The cost? Assad probably lost a lot in military hardware. We lost some on the cost of the missiles.

What we have to gain? That there will be consequences if anyone uses chemical weapons. That's it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Putin and Russia are bad actors. That is undeniable. I think a fight between us and Putin is unavoidable, no matter what conspiracy is in place. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
Putin and Russia are ambitious, not particularly evil. Not any more so than any of the other major powers.
But I do think that the upcoming conflict in the Middle East is why Putin wanted a weak and inexperienced USA president instead of a hardened battle axe like Godzillary.
Tom

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The cost? Assad probably lost a lot in military hardware. We lost some on the cost of the missiles.

What we have to gain? That there will be consequences if anyone uses chemical weapons. That's it.

Assad has a reason to lose money but why US needs to, just for others to fear using chemicals weapons,
I don't think it's a good reason, for example if Russia used chemical weapons against its own citizens then do
you think USA will strike Russia with missiles.

esmith

Veteran Member
The cutting and running was primarily due to the agreement the Bush Administration made with the government of Iraq, as I am sure you recall.
Also Obama keeping a very popular campaign promise to bring our soldiers home. Even the Republican candidates were making similar claims to end our involvement. And the Iraqis were firmly in favor of their own sovereignty being returned.
I realize how important it is to you to blame Obama, but the facts are facts.
Tom
Very simple question then.
If the US had maintained a reasonable counter-insurgency force in Iraq, insured that the Iraq military, and especially their government was able and willing to continue the programs that the US instituted and maintained up until 2011 would the story in Iraq be different today. The answer is yes and Obama played a major role in not following through.
Will give you a short synopsis of the issue in the following link: How We Won in Iraq
If you want to dwell deeper into the subject expressed in the above I suggest you read the book: The Gamble by Thomas E. Ricks. excellent reading. There are more on the subject but this one points out the mistakes, the ugly, and the good.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Russia/USSR/Russia has always wanted warm water ports; aligning with Syria will add to their numbers.
The Russian Quest for Warm Water Ports
I think there is even more to it than that.
Russia wants to be the dominant force in the middle east. Having allies like Iran and Syria are major assets. They are also reportedly helping the Taliban. Scooping up the pieces of Iraq won't be difficult.
What we have as comparable assets are pretty much Israel and Saudi Arabia. Russia is winning and Trump might well be helping.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If the US had maintained a reasonable counter-insurgency force in Iraq,
To do that we would have had to fight the government of Iraq and USA public opinion. You would now be blaming Obama for arrogantly ignoring the Bush ADministration, the Iraqis, and USA public opinion.
Tom

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think it's too quick to give him too much credit. We'll see what he accomplishes in Syria.
Exactly. The reality is that this is just the beginning for Trump, so not only don't we know with any certainty what the consequences may be, but we also don't know if he is going to lead us into another entanglement that we may have a hard time extracting ourselves from.