• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Muslims and Mormons share deepening ties

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Disdain makes for strange bedfellows. I wonder how many Mormons have read the "fine print" in Islamic doctrine.

FFH

Veteran Member
From the opening post article:

"The Mormon Church has become the biggest contributor to Buena Park-based Islamic Relief, touted by its administrators as the West's largest Muslim-based charity. Relief officials say the church has donated $20 million in goods and services since the 2004 tsunami, equal to about 20% of the charity's annual budget."

I will add to this...
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it into me".
~Jesus Christ~

As for the translation of Islamic works from Arabic to English, well, that was done at a University level, which is seperate from the church.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I tell ya, when people only know what the media feeds them about Mormonism they are in the dark. The more I meet Mormons the more I find they are some of the nicest and devout people around.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I tell ya, when people only know what the media feeds them about Mormonism they are in the dark.
Well, that would probably hold true with respect to Islam too, don't you think?

The more I meet Mormons the more I find they are some of the nicest and devout people around.
We have been known to be nice on occasion. Some of us can scratch and bite when provoked, though. :D

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
The LDS Church reaches out to ALL religions, so this is nothing new. That's the policy--to find the common good and focus on that. We are continually taught to appreciate the good in every religion.

However, some religions react with suspicion. They suspect motives other than simple friendliness. I read a memo posted online a few months ago, by a group of Christian churches warning each other to beware of the local Mormon church because it might act friendly. The Mormons might offer help in building projects or landscaping. They might even donate shrubs! Can you believe it?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
The LDS Church reaches out to ALL religions, so this is nothing new. That's the policy--to find the common good and focus on that. We are continually taught to appreciate the good in every religion.

However, some religions react with suspicion. They suspect motives other than simple friendliness. I read a memo posted online a few months ago, by a group of Christian churches warning each other to beware of the local Mormon church because it might act friendly. The Mormons might offer help in building projects or landscaping. They might even donate shrubs! Can you believe it?

I'm not so sure it's actual suspicion so much as an aversion to proselytizing. As much as I love the Mormons I do have a problem with any religion that seeks converts from other religions. But as far as convert seekers go the Mormons I have had contact with haven't been too pushy. They gave me a Book of Mormon, told me to read it my liesure and pray about it. That's cool. A couple of young elders came by a few times and we sat on the porch and talked religion for quite a while. We had some good discussions. they even offered to help me build a fence I was working on. Very symbolic if ya ask me. LOL!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Amazing ,infidels hey whod have them, do mormons still baptise everyone on earth ,i wonder how the brothers and sisters of the religion of peace would like that
We perform proxy baptisms on behalf of our deceased ancestors, if that's what you mean. That doesn't mean that the person for whom the baptism was performed has to accept it. If he doesn't, it's as if it never happened. If he does, it's as if he had been baptized himself during his mortality.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Amazing ,infidels hey whod have them, do mormons still baptise everyone on earth ,i wonder how the brothers and sisters of the religion of peace would like that
I rather doubt Muslims would actually be terribly impressed. I think it all very well that people focus on "common ground" issues to make inroads, but once the niceties are done with then the massive, unmovable, theological questions will crop up. I find it unrealistic to think that Muslims would be overly supportive of Mormon theology and vica versa. As long as they stick with superficialities though, there shouldn't be too many problems.

jonny

I really don't understand the premise of the article. I've never felt any particularly deep ties to the Muslim religion. I guess I could see why Muslims might want to follow in the footsteps of Mormonism to try and redefine itself in American culture, considering that less than 150 years ago being a Mormon was akin to being a terrorist.

kai

ragamuffin
I really don't understand the premise of the article. I've never felt any particularly deep ties to the Muslim religion. I guess I could see why Muslims might want to follow in the footsteps of Mormonism to try and redefine itself in American culture, considering that less than 150 years ago being a Mormon was akin to being a terrorist.

muslims dont follow in the footseps of any other religion theirs is the ultimate last revelation

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
muslims dont follow in the footseps of any other religion theirs is the ultimate last revelation

This is not strictly true,...Islam includes the Abrahamic tradition and accepts the revelation of Jesus and concludes with the revelation of Mohammed. In other words this the latest revelation of the Abrahamic tradition.

Christianity also includes the Abrahamic tradition and concludes with the revelation of Jesus. It does not consider the additional revelation of Mohammed. In other words, this is the latest revelation of the Abrahamic tradition.

Judaism, is the Abrahamic tradition and it does not consider the Jesus revelation or the Mohammad revelation. In other words, this is the latest revelation of the Abrahamic tradition.

If one were to name a religion that does not follow in the footsteps of any other religion, then it is Judaism.

However even this is not strictly true,...for if one were to study the even earlier religion of Sumeria, then it becomes self evident that Judaism itself is following in the footsteps of other religions.

kai

ragamuffin
This is not strictly true,...Islam includes the Abrahamic tradition and accepts the revelation of Jesus and concludes with the revelation of Mohammed. In other words this the latest revelation of the Abrahamic tradition.

Christianity also includes the Abrahamic tradition and concludes with the revelation of Jesus. It does not consider the additional revelation of Mohammed. In other words, this is the latest revelation of the Abrahamic tradition.

Judaism, is the Abrahamic tradition and it does not consider the Jesus revelation or the Mohammad revelation. In other words, this is the latest revelation of the Abrahamic tradition.

If one were to name a religion that does not follow in the footsteps of any other religion, then it is Judaism.

However even this is not strictly true,...for if one were to study the even earlier religion of Sumeria, then it becomes self evident that Judaism itself is following in the footsteps of other religions.

my mistake i meant they wouldnt follow in the footsteps of LDS, just what they do have in common is beyond me

kai

ragamuffin
Did you read the article? That was one of the points it brought up.
yeah i did its bollocks

"A Mormon living in an Islamic society would be very comfortable," said Steve Young, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attending the event.

Ha Ha its an april fools joke isnt it come on hasnt the hangman in Iran got enough to do with gays and bahais

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Perhaps, but I think it is more likely a publicity stunt. In effect they are just using Mormons to bolster their horrendous image problem.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
The LDS Church is always extending a hand of friendship to other religions. In the Spanish Fork, Utah, area, the Church donated money towards a chapel for the Baha'i people (not sure of the religion, but something similar). So I'm not surprised to see friendliness towards the Muslims.

I don't see any reason to read anything suspicious or negative into it. Friendliness is a good thing.