• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Military Honors Four Canadians

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I tend to stay away from politics as much as possible , but this has given me mixed emotions ...

The U.S. military has elected to have the names of four Canadian soldiers placed upon a war memorial , honouring American soldiers who died in combat , in Fort Campbell , Kentucky . The first time ever Non-American soldiers have been honoured in such a way . These four are Sgt. Marc Leger , Cpl. Ainsworth Dyer , Pte. Richard Green , and Pte. Nathan Smith . These men were the first Canadians to die in Afghanistan , killed by the " friendly fire " of an American F16 , the first Canadian soldiers to die in combat since the Korean War .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/23/AR2005052301340.html

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
I'm telling you now....Canada was some friggen upset about that. It's still a sore spot , and I'm not sure how to feel about putting their names on that memorial.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
On one hand, why are they on the memorial? I don't say this in an "OMG WHY ARE NON-AMERICANS ON THE MEMORIAL" way, but why aren't names of our other allies on there? Doesn't it seem a little... I dunno, unfair to give only Canadian soldiers that honor? (Assuming dying in a war and having your name on a memorial is an honor, of course.)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Which is why I have mixed emotions OF . :)

Caprice , it is called " closure " ...

Good question Jensa . On one hand , it is an honour to have the U.S. military reconize the sacrifice these men made . On the other hand , it was a hard battle getting them to admit that something wrong happened , and this could be little more then a " pay off " ??? Either way , it is closure , and an honour . Wars may be wrong , but one should respect the sacrifice made by those in them .

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Jensa said:
On one hand, why are they on the memorial? I don't say this in an "OMG WHY ARE NON-AMERICANS ON THE MEMORIAL" way, but why aren't names of our other allies on there? Doesn't it seem a little... I dunno, unfair to give only Canadian soldiers that honor? (Assuming dying in a war and having your name on a memorial is an honor, of course.)
The reason for these 4 canadians is because (I'm assuming) the circumstance of there death. It was an increadably stupid mistake by an american pilot that dropped a bomb on Canadian Solders training. It never should have happened and although I understand how friendly fire can happen in times of war this wasn't even closet to that.