• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Atheists Know More About Religion Than U.S. Christians

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Some of them think religion is dangerous and they're just trying to save our souls.

What confuses me is that they think their own souls are safe. Like, based on what?

In general, we do not believe that there are such things as souls to be saved.

We are so worried about our souls as we are of not receiving Christmast presents from Santa this year.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
We? Hearsay.

Yes, only a minority of people believe what you believe, concerning souls to be saved by prophets that gave their passover weekend for our sins.

For what concerns me, personally, I think it is quite a ridicolus proposition.

Ciao

- viole

GoodbyeDave

Many atheists were Christians. They did not make the switch based on ignorance, or a stubborn refusal to face the problems of a belief system. They did not become atheists until it was obvious that the Bible was wrong, again and again.
So the only choice is between believing in the Bible and being an atheist? Then people wonder why I call atheists illogical!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why do atheists know more about religion then the actual religious? It makes more sense that the practitioner of a said religion would know more about it then an atheist. You learn more by hands on experience anyhow.
Who would know more about cars in general: someone who has tried out many different cars but found none to his liking, or someone who has only ever driven the one car they inherited from their parents and refuses to even look at any other?

But also, why do atheists spend so much time learning religion in order to bash it IF they are so sure its all wrong?
Most atheist spend the time learning abour religion before they become atheists. It's often a big part of the reason they become atheists.

In that case, why dont they go spend there time enjoying there ONLY ONE LIFE they got. Why do they WASTE so much time studying religion?
Why do medical researchers spend so much time studying diseases they don't want to get?

Holdasown

Who would know more about cars in general: someone who has tried out many different cars but found none to his liking, or someone who has only ever driven the one car they inherited from their parents and refuses to even look at any other?

Most atheist spend the time learning abour religion before they become atheists. It's often a big part of the reason they become atheists.

Why do medical researchers spend so much time studying diseases they don't want to get?

Are you saying if you became a theist you would die?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what ninth commandment is here. See i never studied it or spoke of religion in the english language. I saw the definition in english but fail to connect it with this conversation.

"Behaving as a christian"

Why, because I don't plead you to be so kind as to speak normally?

Didnt notice any "personal attacks of mine".

But okay. So you can't explain what you meant with your first comment, got it. I was just mildly interested anyway - from a psychological point of view.
The standard Ninth Commandment is an order not to bear false witness. It goes beyond mere lying. What you said about me was not correct. Even if you believed it it would still be "false witness". In other words it tells you to be very careful when you say something about another person. Actually one of the better commandments when well understood.

Anthem

The standard Ninth Commandment is an order not to bear false witness. It goes beyond mere lying. What you said about me was not correct. Even if you believed it it would still be "false witness". In other words it tells you to be very careful when you say something about another person. Actually one of the better commandments when well understood.
How did I "bear false witness"? What DID I say about you?

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Atheists and agnostics were top performers along with Mormons and Jews." Mormons are Christians. Therefore the OP title is incorrect.
Take it up with mccainisthroughX, who wrote it. I assume you've noted that it's the name of the video.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Religion isn't a being or animal capable of anything. It's people.
That's right: billions of people. Your impact on the world in the name of religion isn't even the rounding error for the impact of the entire religious population on the world in the name of religion.

So, again it's a horrible thing to say to someone, you are why the world sucks. Especially when you don't even know them.
I'm not saying that. I'm not even sure what religion you are.

Edit: to use an analogy: saying "our car-centric culture costs thousands of lives every year" does not imply "you, the person I'm speaking to, are a dangerous driver."