• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Atheists Know More About Religion Than U.S. Christians

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Many Christians do not view Mormons as Christians.
Point taken, but it is easy for this smaller group, atheists, to look more informed than the larger group and still the OP be incorrect. The larger group can have a very informed cluster within it. Pew took its results by survey, meaning it did not seek out informed Christians. Therefore, again, the OP is incorrect. All I have to do is point out an example of a group of Christians who are informed.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do atheists know more about religion then the actual religious? It makes more sense that the practitioner of a said religion would know more about it then an atheist. You learn more by hands on experience anyhow.

You do, but the surveys that have assessed this ignore experience and skills, even though these a types of knowledge. They only look at academic style knowledge - bare and dry factoids. Hence, it's important to take these surveys within their proper, limited context. And also to remember that on the whole, ignorance about religion is really, really terrible given the subject gets little to no proper coverage in public education.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Point taken, but it is easy for this smaller group, atheists, to look more informed than the larger group and still the OP be incorrect. The larger group can have a very informed cluster within it. Pew took its results by survey, meaning it did not seek out informed Christians. Therefore, again, the OP is incorrect. All I have to do is point out an example of a group of Christians who are informed.
It is a minor point, and it makes your group look better than other Christian sects.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do atheists know more about religion then the actual religious? It makes more sense that the practitioner of a said religion would know more about it then an atheist. You learn more by hands on experience anyhow.

But also, why do atheists spend so much time learning religion in order to bash it IF they are so sure its all wrong?

In that case, why dont they go spend there time enjoying there ONLY ONE LIFE they got. Why do they WASTE so much time studying religion?

When religion is thrown at you piecemeal you have to learn about that religion to contest the unrelenting onslaught.

Also it's entertaining reading mythology and realising you are being threatened by bronze age superstition.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

But also, why do atheists spend so much time learning religion in order to bash it IF they are so sure its all wrong?

In that case, why dont they go spend there time enjoying there ONLY ONE LIFE they got. Why do they WASTE so much time studying religion?
Hint: Lots of atheists used to be religious.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why do atheists know more about religion then the actual religious?

Generally speaking, we do not. Arguably, we simply do not, without any qualifiers.

But it may well appear otherwise due to certain doctrinary and proselitistic policies.

The trick is in deciding who should be considered a religious person. My take on it is somewhat restrictive.

The random Christian or Muslim represents an entirely different situation. Those two doctrines spread largely by, for lack of a better expression, "presumption of belief". It has actually become commonplace to see Christian or Muslim parents speaking of their hypothetical children as if they had the power to establish their adherence before they even exist. Cases of parents deciding to bury and deny outright the actual belief stances of their children are not even rare.

When it becomes an actual tradition to gloss over any indications of interest level, it is only natural for the average adherent to be uneducated about his or her own nominal doctrine.

You will have a considerably harder time seeking experts on Judaism, Paganism, Shinto, Sikhism, Hinduism or Jainism among atheists, because atheists or would-be atheists are not very often pressured into adhering to those doctrines. Judaism is something of a special case.

It makes more sense that the practitioner of a said religion would know more about it then an atheist. You learn more by hands on experience anyhow.

Legitimate self-defense, buddy.

It takes actual knowledge both to offer respectful rejection of what is thrown at us and to fiercely challenge it when necessary.

Last edited:

Anthem

No, you do not even understand what the Ninth Commandment says. But it is clear from your personal attacks that you are not behaving as a Christian.
I'm not sure what ninth commandment is here. See i never studied it or spoke of religion in the english language. I saw the definition in english but fail to connect it with this conversation.

"Behaving as a christian"

Why, because I don't plead you to be so kind as to speak normally?

Didnt notice any "personal attacks of mine".

But okay. So you can't explain what you meant with your first comment, got it. I was just mildly interested anyway - from a psychological point of view.