• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Army Debuts New Women-Friendly Uniform

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As the U.S. military is moving along on a path to potentially open up front-line and elite combat units to women by 2016 or so, new unisex uniforms available in 16 sizes were recently announced that have been tested with 600 female soldiers and are a more balanced compromise for fitting both men and women.

From the uniform article:
Some of the changes to the current silhouette include adjusting the cut to fit a woman's chest, hips and waist better; narrower shoulder width and narrower back; shortening the button-fly rise and back rise to better fit women; and repositioned knee and elbow patches.
I'm glad to see advances for gender equality in the military.

dust1n

Zindīq
Wowser! It doesn't even look like this.

Moderator cut: image removed

What crazy times we live in.
spacer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

dust1n

Zindīq
Jeez, I didn't even realize that women had to wear uniforms that were cut for males. Where was everything suppose to go?

Aquitaine

It only makes sense that they're issued with clothing that actually fits properly.

EDIT: I also did not know the US military were opening up all combat positions to Females by 2016, I think the Gender-Neutral requirements are a good idea, rather than having two "tiers" of standards for Male and Female.
It will be interesting to see who will be the first Female to complete the IOC!

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It only makes sense that they're issued with clothing that actually fits properly.

EDIT: I also did not know the US military were opening up all combat positions to Females by 2016, I think the Gender-Neutral requirements are a good idea, rather than having two "tiers" of standards for Male and Female.
It will be interesting to see who will be the first Female to complete the IOC!
I haven't been keeping up on that news as much as I should, but I don't think it's entirely official yet. The top command, all the way up to the Secretary of Defense, are moving towards that potential but there's nothing written in stone yet.

The physical requirements for non-combat positions I think are going to remain different for the sexes, but for combat positions are supposed to be the same for both sexes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just wonder what prompted a unisex uniform since men do not need the extra chest and hip space, but can need the extra shoulder room. I am no expert in combat clothing or armor, but I would have thought it would be optimal to have male and female uniforms to have a better fit for both.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just wonder what prompted a unisex uniform since men do not need the extra chest and hip space, but can need the extra shoulder room. I am no expert in combat clothing or armor, but I would have thought it would be optimal to have male and female uniforms to have a better fit for both.
I think that sounds more optimal, but I guess they did it for a reason. Probably for efficiency.

Men need a bit more shoulder space, women need a bit more hip and chest space, so they kind of compromised on all of those areas, but then made it available in 16 sizes so that soldiers can probably find a decent fit, without any individual portion of it being exaggerated compared to their build.