• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Allies Halt Kabul Evacuations, Warn of Growing Terrorism Threat

We Never Know

No Slack
Looks like the UK, Poland, Denmark, Italy, Netherlands, etc are already calling it quits and halting evacuation flights. These last five days until the 31st could be very costly with lives.

"The halting of evacuation flights comes amid intelligence warnings of an imminent risk of terrorist attacks on Kabul airport by Islamic State. The U.K. late Wednesday warned its citizens to stay away from the airport because of the risk of an attack. The Foreign Office said in official advice for travelers that people shouldn’t go to the airport and, if already there, should leave.

“The credibility of the reporting has reached the stage where we believe there is a very imminent, a highly lethal attack, possibly within Kabul,” James Heappey, the U.K.’s armed forces minister, said in a broadcast interview Thursday.

The evacuations are ending as the Taliban cement their hold over the country. Though the Islamist movement’s leaders have met with prominent figures from the fallen Afghan republic, such as former President Hamid Karzai and chief peace negotiator Abdullah Abdullah, the visits were mostly courtesy and didn’t discuss power sharing, a person familiar with the meetings said. Mr. Karzai, in particular, had been strongly advised not to leave his compound for his own safety, a soft form of house arrest, the person said.

The Dutch Defense Ministry said in a letter Thursday to parliament that it would stop flight operations by the end of the day, hoping to evacuate several hundred people already inside the airport, with diplomatic staff and Dutch troops departing on the final flight. The ministry added that was no longer able to assist its citizens and eligible Afghans in accessing the airport.

“This is a painful moment because it means that despite all the great efforts of the past period, people who are eligible for evacuation to the Netherlands will be left behind,” the letter said. Those include Dutch citizens and Afghans who had worked with Dutch forces deployed as part of the U.S.-led coalition.

Poland, which has flown more than 900 Afghan citizens since the fall of Kabul, said that it was also ending its evacuation program following decisions made by its allies, the U.S. and the U.K. “The situation is difficult, it is even dramatic, and more and more difficult with each hour,” Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said Thursday.

The Italian Defense Ministry said its last flight would leave Kabul Thursday night. French Prime Minister Jean Castex told French radio RTL on Thursday that France would no longer be able to evacuate citizens after Friday. Danish Defense Minister Trine Bramsen said Wednesday that Denmark had already flown its last evacuation flight, and that it was no longer safe to fly in and out of Kabul. U.K. Defense Secretary Ben Wallace said in a broadcast interview that the country has 11 flights scheduled for Thursday but declined to say whether those would be the last, citing the need to protect troops on the ground.

We Never Know

No Slack
Looks like the UK, Poland, Denmark, Italy, Netherlands, etc are already calling it quits and halting evacuation flights. These last five days until the 31st could be very costly with lives.

"The halting of evacuation flights comes amid intelligence warnings of an imminent risk of terrorist attacks on Kabul airport by Islamic State. The U.K. late Wednesday warned its citizens to stay away from the airport because of the risk of an attack. The Foreign Office said in official advice for travelers that people shouldn’t go to the airport and, if already there, should leave.

“The credibility of the reporting has reached the stage where we believe there is a very imminent, a highly lethal attack, possibly within Kabul,” James Heappey, the U.K.’s armed forces minister, said in a broadcast interview Thursday.

The evacuations are ending as the Taliban cement their hold over the country. Though the Islamist movement’s leaders have met with prominent figures from the fallen Afghan republic, such as former President Hamid Karzai and chief peace negotiator Abdullah Abdullah, the visits were mostly courtesy and didn’t discuss power sharing, a person familiar with the meetings said. Mr. Karzai, in particular, had been strongly advised not to leave his compound for his own safety, a soft form of house arrest, the person said.

The Dutch Defense Ministry said in a letter Thursday to parliament that it would stop flight operations by the end of the day, hoping to evacuate several hundred people already inside the airport, with diplomatic staff and Dutch troops departing on the final flight. The ministry added that was no longer able to assist its citizens and eligible Afghans in accessing the airport.

“This is a painful moment because it means that despite all the great efforts of the past period, people who are eligible for evacuation to the Netherlands will be left behind,” the letter said. Those include Dutch citizens and Afghans who had worked with Dutch forces deployed as part of the U.S.-led coalition.

Poland, which has flown more than 900 Afghan citizens since the fall of Kabul, said that it was also ending its evacuation program following decisions made by its allies, the U.S. and the U.K. “The situation is difficult, it is even dramatic, and more and more difficult with each hour,” Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said Thursday.

The Italian Defense Ministry said its last flight would leave Kabul Thursday night. French Prime Minister Jean Castex told French radio RTL on Thursday that France would no longer be able to evacuate citizens after Friday. Danish Defense Minister Trine Bramsen said Wednesday that Denmark had already flown its last evacuation flight, and that it was no longer safe to fly in and out of Kabul. U.K. Defense Secretary Ben Wallace said in a broadcast interview that the country has 11 flights scheduled for Thursday but declined to say whether those would be the last, citing the need to protect troops on the ground.

Breaking news....

An explosion ripped through a crowd of Afghans trying to enter Kabul airport, where the U.S. military is attempting to evacuate thousands of Americans and Afghans.

There were no immediate details on the extent of casualties, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said. A U.S. official said Thursday’s blast happened at the airport’s Abbey Gate.

Kabul Airport Explosion Hits Afghan Crowd Amid Evacuations

Colt

Breaking news....

An explosion ripped through a crowd of Afghans trying to enter Kabul airport, where the U.S. military is attempting to evacuate thousands of Americans and Afghans.

There were no immediate details on the extent of casualties, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said. A U.S. official said Thursday’s blast happened at the airport’s Abbey Gate.

Kabul Airport Explosion Hits Afghan Crowd Amid Evacuations
Gosh who could have seen that coming? When Biden won, the Taliban won! Drug cartels won! Human trafficker's won! A naïve and week president sends out signals emboldening the dark forces! He's like grandpa at the senior center! What a true disaster this guy is!

And frankly, shouldn't we be asking questions of the military planners who are advising Biden?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gosh who could have seen that coming? When Biden won, the Taliban won! Drug cartels won! Human trafficker's won! A naïve and week president sends out signals emboldening the dark forces! He's like grandpa at the senior center! What a true disaster this guy is!

And frankly, shouldn't we be asking questions of the military planners who are advising Biden?
The Taliban were all set to win as soon we stopped
propping up Afghanistan's weak government (IMO).
We'd never win (IMO).
So the question becomes....
Should we continue spending trillions of dollars,
staying there decade after decade, for minimal
& dubious benefit?
I favor one Biden policy...rip off the Band-Aid.

We Never Know

No Slack
We'd never win (IMO).
& dubious benefit?
2011, 2021, or 2031.... It still would have happened.

Colt

We'd never win (IMO).
& dubious benefit?
Leaving isn't the issue. How to leave wasn't well thought out apparently.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know about that.
Sure, it's a clusterboink.
But it might be the best clusterboink possible.
There is much to be said for speed. A slower
withdrawal might've resulted in much more fighting.

Colt

As do I. Afghanistan will change for the better when its people want it strongly enough to fight for it.
Over 66,000 afghan troops died fighting the Taliban since Americas involvement and 47,245 civilians have been killed in the conflict. To claim its people don't "want it strongly enough" is a low blow from the armchair.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Over 66,000 afghan troops died fighting the Taliban since Americas involvement and 47,245 civilians have been killed in the conflict. To claim its people don't "want it strongly enough" is a low blow from the armchair.
The Afghan army folding so quickly does strongly
suggest that they don't want it enuf. To infer insult
is to not face reality (IMO).

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
We'd never win (IMO).
& dubious benefit?

No matter what?,there’s many people left behind from the US and other countries who worked for your country,chop chop squares going to be busy for sure,the UK Germany and others wanted an extension but sleeping joe Biden said nah so in the ensuing carnage two bomb attacks have already cost lives,what an absolute mess.

On top of that you have all that ordnance left behind,you can just imagine it “hey Abdul I’ve got a Humvee” Abdul “nice bro but I’ve got a helicopter “,what a mess and what an embarrassment,looks like the whole administration is way over there head IMO.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

How could have it been when 300,000 Afghans cut and ran with no real attempt to slow the Taliban down. Who would have expected such a thing.

But I guess perfection is demanded.

Colt

Hindsight is 20/20

“I’m just saying, you know, if I were Osama bin Laden ... He’s a very smart guy. I spent a lot of time thinking about him. And I nearly got him once,” Clinton said in the audio, which was recorded by former Liberal Party head Michael Kroger and aired by Sky News.

“I nearly got him. And I could have killed him, but I would have had to destroy a little town called Kandahar in Afghanistan and kill 300 innocent women and children, and then I would have been no better than him.

“And so I didn’t do it.”

Bill Clinton speaking in Australia....hours before the 9/11 attack.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No matter what?,there’s many people left behind from the US and other countries who worked for your country,chop chop squares going to be busy for sure,the UK Germany and others wanted an extension but sleeping joe Biden said nah so in the ensuing carnage two bomb attacks have already cost lives,what an absolute mess.

On top of that you have all that ordnance left behind,you can just imagine it “hey Abdul I’ve got a Humvee” Abdul “nice bro but I’ve got a helicopter “,what a mess and what an embarrassment,looks like the whole administration is way over there head IMO.
I see your views, & find them reasonable.
Regarding helicopters...
These are difficult things to use & maintain...fact, not opinion.
IMO they'll be of little use to the Taliban.
Regarding speed...
We must balance the costs of staying, & leaving more slowly
with the costs of leaving abruptly (IMO). I favor the latter.
It's the cheapest for us (IMO).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Afghan army folding so quickly does strongly
suggest that they don't want it enuf. To infer insult
is to not face reality (IMO).

I'll also entertain the possibility that quite a few did but the utterly corrupt top level ran for the first flights out of the country leaving those who wanted to fight bereft of leadership while the majority of grunts were just in it for the money and did not want to fight.

With the reemergence of the Northern Alliance, those who want to fight the Taliban appear to have a good base. And we have in effect a reset to pre-9/11 Afghanistan.

In the interests of balance, this is a Trump/Biden policy. Both wanted out. If they had known that Afghanistan was a true success, normal political instincts would have been to tout it to the high heavens as proof of their superior leadership.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll also entertain the possibility that quite a few did but the utterly corrupt top level ran for the first flights out of the country leaving those who wanted to fight bereft of leadership while the majority of grunts were just in it for the money and did not want to fight.

With the reemergence of the Northern Alliance, those who want to fight the Taliban appear to have a good base. And we have in effect a reset to pre-9/11 Afghanistan.

In the interests of balance, this is a Trump/Biden policy. Both wanted out. If they had known that Afghanistan was a true success, normal political instincts would have been to tout it to the high heavens as proof of their superior leadership.
I give Trump credit for beginning to get out.
I give Biden credit for getting it done.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I see your views, & find them reasonable.
Regarding helicopters...
These are difficult things to use & maintain...fact, not opinion.
IMO they'll be of little use to the Taliban.
Regarding speed...
We must balance the costs of staying, & leaving more slowly
with the costs of leaving abruptly (IMO). I favor the latter.
It's the cheapest for us (IMO).

Its already cost more in lives lost,there will I can guarantee be many more unfortunately,there’s many dead at the airport already,terrorists 1 democracy not even in the game.