• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

typical TOS signature?!

Daelach

Setian
there was a line which TOS members liked quite well as signature, or when in generally acclamating a statement.

Great is something, and greater through something else. There was "Set" involved and "us", but what was the sentence?!

Kori Houghton

Restricted
I know the phrase you mean, an ironic paraphrase of 1 John 4:4 --

"(3)...This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

(4)You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."

Kori Houghton

Restricted
I don't recall the exact words, but it was something about the Set being great, and greater still through us (meaning his followers, yrs trly not included).

Haven't seen it used in a long time (years?) I made a quick pass at my shelf of Temple materials, but didn't find it. The Order documents use other group specific closing phrases for their work. Wonder if the individual who originated the phrase has left the Temple?

Oh...wait! Holy Land of Hope and Glory, like:

"God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet."

Was it Mighty is Set, mightier still is he through us?

So weird. Google kept finding it, and then removing it from the page of results. My wireless connection is not liking the 50 mph wind storm here. What I typed above is what I read before the link vanished...and I tried it 4 times.

Daelach

Setian
it was during a little sit-in with Set where we made fun of the "Sunglasses of Set" (running gag between us); I put them on and said "cool is Set, still cooler through us" which I knew was a kind of parody of said TOS line. But the fun proved greater for Set than for me because I had forgotten what the original version was and ended up googling and thinking and cursing. You know, that ugly feeling when something is right before entering the mind. Like when the nose is prickling, but no neezing to come.

I found it really disturbing that I didn't find any google hits at first; I came to the point where I started to doubt my own memory whether TOS members really had been using such a line - maybe some kind of false memory? But I was so certain.. and yet, google found nothing. I guess that is what prisoners will feel like in mind control treatment (especially about the Korea war, how US officers got captured and treated so that some changed the sides).. this shaking kind of subtle uncertaincy towards one's own mind. Kind of little mindf*ck, I guess. A very interesting experience since I had read much about such stuff before, but actually experiencing a little glimpse of it was more impressive than I would have thought.

Well, that's what making fun with Set can lead to.. but the story with the sunglasses had me as the last one laughing, the one and only time until now *s*

Last edited: