• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

typical images of Jesus Christ in your Christian denominations

jerzybg

Query to members of different denominations of christian background:
Do you have any typical only for your denomination images of Jesus Christ?
I mean images being displayed in your homes, religious buildings etc., etc.
Please, publish them on the forum, if you have any.

Best wishes

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
jerzybg said:
Query to members of different denominations of christian background:
Do you have any typical only for your denomination images of Jesus Christ?
I mean images being displayed in your homes, religious buildings etc., etc.
Please, publish them on the forum, if you have any.

Best wishes

We would never refer to the Church as a 'denomination' but Orthodox Christians do use distinctive images of Christ. These are icons such as Christ Pantocrator, The Icon Not Made by Hands etc. As you're apparently a Polish Roman Catholic and there are Orthodox in your country and many of your neighbours I would imagine you are already familiar with such images, especially considering that traditional iconography appears to be undergoing something of a resurgence amongst Roman Catholics at the moment.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, I am a "heinz 57" Christian, and only seldom go to church. However, I once saw an artist selling post cards that were incredible; I have scanned it in, but the image hardly reflects the magnificence of the postcard.

I has a 'glitter effect' which isd wonderful, and almost seems to make the picture 3D; I have it on my bedside.

Christ.jpg

nutshell

This is one of the most common pictures. I believe it was painted in the '90's.

This is a picture depicting the second coming:

Another common picture. Jesus in Gethsamene:

This is one of my favorites. It's Jesus looking over Jerusalem.

jerzybg

Thank you James, Michel and nutshell.
Michel, I do not understand the meaning " "heinz 57" Christian" phrase.
Please, explain it to me. Your image of Jesus Christ is really very impressive.

Nutshell, I have seen the first of your images in Warsaw, visiting a Mormon chapel (?) in Wolska St., asking for any information on LDS religious artifacts.
Maybe, other Christians (Protestants) like Lutherans, Anglicans... have any distinctive images of Jesus Christ.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
jerzybg,

Just on the off chance that you aren't actually familiar with Orthodox iconography (a very slim chance in my opinion, but still), I thought I'd post an icon of Christ Pantocrator. You would almost certainly see this icon in any Orthodox home and it is one of the two icons that is always found on the iconostasis of every Orthodox church:

photo.pl

The other one is of the Theotokos with the Christ child on her lap, though I forget which specific one it generally is, as there are several which look similar.

James

jerzybg

Thank you for the lecture, James.
Have you ever heard of Jableczna in Eastern Poland?
Jableczna is the center of Orthodox Christianity in my area.
Next place related to The Orthodox Church is Mountain Grabarka.

Question to nutshell:
Are all of LDS images of The Jesus Christ painted only by Del Parson?
Who was Del Parson?

jerzybg

SoyLeche

meh...
jerzybg said:
Question to nutshell:
Are all of LDS images of The Jesus Christ painted only by Del Parson?
Who was Del Parson?

jerzybg
I'll but in and answer - no.

As far as I know, Del Parson is just an artist. He has no position of authority in the Church (other than possible local callings that he may have). He specializes in religious art, however, and is pretty good, so his work gets used a lot http://www.delparson.com/

Actually, some of my favorite LDS art (meaning that the artist is LDS, not that the art is uniquely LDS) is by Greg Olsen (he painted the last picture that Nutshell posted). http://www.gregolsengallery.com/

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
jerzybg said:
Thank you for the lecture, James.
Have you ever heard of Jableczna in Eastern Poland?
Jableczna is the center of Orthodox Christianity in my area.
Next place related to The Orthodox Church is Mountain Grabarka.

What lecture? All I did was post a link for you as you hadn't said whether you actually knew what I was referring to or not. I was certainly not assuming you didn't know (in fact I assumed the opposite) but I didn't want it to look as though I was saying 'well, if you don't know I won't tell you' which is how, in retrospect, I felt my first post came across. I certainly wasn't lecturing you.

I'm afraid that, although I know that the main Orthodox areas in Poland are in the east, I am not familiar with Polish geography. My wife is from Romanian Bucovina (on the border with the Ukraine) and I am familiar with some ethnic Poles and Carpatho-Russians (Rusyns) from there but that's as close as I've ever got to Polish Orthodox. I would certainly be interested to hear about the areas you mentioned.

James

whirlingmerc

We would never refer to the Church as a 'denomination' but Orthodox Christians do use distinctive images of Christ. These are icons such as Christ Pantocrator, The Icon Not Made by Hands etc. As you're apparently a Polish Roman Catholic and there are Orthodox in your country and many of your neighbours I would imagine you are already familiar with such images, especially considering that traditional iconography appears to be undergoing something of a resurgence amongst Roman Catholics at the moment.

James

shepherd, king, brother, rock, lion, lamb, servant, a tree of life .... many ... because the Bible uses many illustrations