• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typhon = Apep

granpa

the battles between the demigods heracles, theseus, perseus, Bellerophon, and Jason and the monstrous sons of Typhon and Echidna make up a huge part of greek mythology (ultimately ending with the trojan war).
According to the greeks, during the time of typhon the greek gods went to egypt and transformed themselves into animals.
Yet I can find no parallels in egyptian mythology
This seems like a rather gaping hole in egyptian mythology.

I am assuming that:
Osiris = Ouranos
Set = Cronus
Horus = Zeus
apep = typhon
Heryshaf = heracles

sons of typhon = nagas (hindu mythology)

Wikipedia:
Nāga is the Sanskrit and Pāli word for a deity or class of entity or being, taking the form of a very great snake — specifically the king cobra, found in Hinduism and Buddhism

The great nemesis of the Nagas in the Mahabharata is the gigantic eagle-king Garuda. Garuda and the Nagas began life as cousins. The sage Kasyapa had two wives (amongst his 13 wives, all prajapati Daksha's daughters), Kadru and Vinata, the former of whom desired many offspring, and the latter of whom desired few but powerful offspring. Each got her wish. Kadru laid 1000 eggs which hatched into snakes, and Vinata laid two, which hatched into the charioteer of Surya the sun god and Garuda. Through a foolish bet, Vinata became enslaved to her sister, and as a result Vinata's son Garuda was required to do the bidding of the snakes. Though compliant, he chafed and built up a grudge that he would never relinquish. When he asked the snakes what he would have to do in order to be released from his bondage, they told him he would have to bring them amrita, the elixir of immortality

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have any references we could look at? I'm not incredibly familiar with Egyptian mythos, but I have been making some study of Greek mythos. I've not heard of this "Age of Typhon." There were various ages in Greek mythos, such as the Heroic Age, Golden Age, etc, but I've never heard of one being attributed to Typhon. I'm also skeptical of drawing direct parallels between Greek and Egyptian mythos. There were some cultural exchanges between those societies, but I think we need to be careful if we're talking about what is historical versus some sort of modern Neopagan correspondence.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I´ve heard more than once of the time when Typhoon came and the greek gods went to Egypt to hide in the forms of animals. Didn´t Zeus blast Typhoon with a lightning and then everyone came back?

granpa

first typhon stole the lightening bolts from Zeus.
Eventually Zeus recovered them and struck Typhon down

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Question: why is this in the Egyptian DIR and not the Greek? Isn't this a Greek explanation of Egyptian mythology? Why does this constitute a gap in Egyptian mythology? Isn't that just an outside projection?

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
My cracked-pot mystic understanding of Apep is as the personification of Chaos. It is when things come together in your subjective mind (since Apep is in the duat) in a maladaptive way, which can lead to things against the principle of Ma'at, like unrighteous behaviour (murdering out of anger, etc.)

Hail-Seth :)

Seth-Cronus ; I dont believe Seth would devour a child especialy not his own one or hurt them ( i refuse to believe this ) even if he is Good of Chaos he is much more than he is potryed not just bring Chaos to his enemies who hate on him because they need to show him a respect :yes:

Horus-Zeus ; i dont see Horus to be tyrant as Zeus is potrayed :sarcastic for me they are two completely different Goods but i dont know Zeus Very much either so :facepalm:

Osiris - Ouranos ; hmm dont know much :confused:

apep - typhon ; haha Seth and Amon would be ****** but is fun to mocking them because they really don't like Apep but Apep for me is awesome :D he to be Typhon well it is possibility

Heryshaf - heracles ; Is Heryshaf son of Khnum ? he look a like :sarcastic and he is heracles ? this two I dont even know but I do know Hercules :D
:snoopy: