• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

types of religions

syo

There are three types of religions.

1. cults
2. abrahamics
3. pagan (non abrahamic)

in my opinion :)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

1. cults
2. abrahamics
3. pagan (non abrahamic)

That may have something to do with this;

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

In my opinion, that is good advice.

Regards Tony

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

1. cults
2. abrahamics
3. pagan (non abrahamic)

A little generalising-y but I suppose that’s a fair assessment, overall. Though I’d add in Shinto and satanists (atheistic and non.)

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

1. cults
2. abrahamics
3. pagan (non abrahamic)

I would say there are three main worldview categories (with or without their respective practices).

1. Materialistic/Atheistic
2. Tantric/Mystic/Gnostic/Spiritual Cultic
3. Vedic/Religious/Pagan

Many (especially Indic) paths are a combination of 2 and 3.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Interesting. I did not expect so much reluctance to state Dharmic as its own category.

I honestly have no idea of what any of you understand the Dharmics to be.

I also have no idea of what characterizes "cults" in the OP.

And personally, I think that calling the Abrahamics "religions" is pushing the concept beyond what would be advisable. At the very least I would state that Islaam does not qualify.

Marcion

I honestly have no idea of what any of you understand the Dharmics to be.

I see Dharma as the introspective behaviour or life style that is unique to creatures with a higher consciousness (such as humans).
But here I was using it in a less philosophical way to distinguish Eastern paths that are not so-called "Abrahamic".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I see Dharma as the introspective behaviour or life style that is unique to creatures with a higher consciousness (such as humans).
But here I was using it in a less philosophical way to distinguish Eastern paths that are not so-called "Abrahamic".
That defeats the purpose far as I can see it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At least all classifying here has gone beyond the classic ... mine, the right one, and all others, the wrong ones.

Marcion

At least all classifying here has gone beyond the classic ... mine, the right one, and all others, the wrong ones.
Do you prefer conforming to other people's frames?
I prefer the frame of my Preceptor above the classical, more Western one.
The classical one is not "wrong", it just doesn't fit with my own viewpoint.

Last edited:

syo

I also have no idea of what characterizes "cults" in the OP.
cults are peculiar religions. for example, a mothership spacecraft that will take us to mother planet somewhere in space. strange theories, manmade religions.

ajay0

1. cults
2. abrahamics
3. pagan (non abrahamic)

You forgot to add Dharmic.

And not all Dharmic sects are polytheistic.

Sikhism and Hindu sects like the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, Arya Samaj, Brahmo Samaj and the Lingayats worship a single incorporeal God and are monotheistic.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you prefer conforming to other people's frames?
I prefer the frame of my Preceptor above the classical, more Western one.
The classical one is not "wrong", it just doesn't fit with my own viewpoint.
I rarely ever even think about it, unless I'm on here. Basically two paradigms for me .. eastern and western. But everyone is free to sort things any ol' way they wish.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I actually knew very little about labels of faith before posting on RF, I still have to look up sone when they are mentioned. Personally I see they are of little help and cause more division, as you have noted in your post, where there should be none.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I actually knew very little about labels of faith before posting on RF, I still have to look up sone when they are mentioned. Personally I see they are of little help and cause more division, as you have noted in your post, where there should be none.

Regards Tony
The divisive stuff is all because of us versus them, not some huge chart.

Last edited: