• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TX Lt. Gov. Blames El Paso Shooting on Not Letting Kids “Pray in Our Schools”

tas8831

So, before I quote Hitler and Stalin, as above, you are prepared to take those quotes as anecdotal? Convenient.
So you are admitting that all you have is un-verified hearsay.
Figures. Because you know I googled the Stalin thing (and even if true, so what? Does that make evolution wrong? How dumb of an 'argument' is that?), and I found a quote on a religious website (imagine that), and it credited an essay on WND (World Nut Daily), which no longer exists.
So unless you have some kind of verifiable, non-anecdotal, non-hearsay corroborated statements/writings, then yeah, I will reject them. And I would be surprised (not really) that someone claiming multiple degrees and to be a professor would so readily glom onto such flimsy 'evidence.'

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." Mein Kampf, (p. 65)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So you are admitting that all you have is un-verified hearsay.
Figures. Because you know I googled the Stalin thing (and even if true, so what? Does that make evolution wrong? How dumb of an 'argument' is that?), and I found a quote on a religious website (imagine that), and it credited an essay on WND (World Nut Daily), which no longer exists.
So unless you have some kind of verifiable, non-anecdotal, non-hearsay corroborated statements/writings, then yeah, I will reject them. And I would be surprised (not really) that someone claiming multiple degrees and to be a professor would so readily glom onto such flimsy 'evidence.'

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." Mein Kampf, (p. 65)

Huh? I'm not a professor. I've chaired and co-chaired academic conferences--my next is in November.

Hitler and Stalin did what they did as Darwinists. Hitler's positive Christianity was Satanic--you know--like atheism.

tas8831

Huh? I'm not a professor. I've chaired and co-chaired academic conferences--my next is in November.
Yes, I am sure. In what capacity would you chair academic conferences? Is this a biblical literalist homeschooling thing?
Hitler and Stalin did what they did as Darwinists.

So no actual evidence or legitimate, verified quotes, then? Just some typical Christianist slogans and assertions.
Hitler's positive Christianity was Satanic--you know--like atheism.
LOL!

Whatever, man... Whatever you need to tell yourself to get through your day and make yourself feel special.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Madison, they weren't Christian, and they wanted to do away with slavery. But it was the Christian South who demanded their "god given right" to slaves. Jefferson, self-described "intellectual adversary of the clergy," wanted to condemn the King for bringing slaves into the new world in the Declaration, but the Southern Christians wouldn't have it, and he wanted to abolish it in the Constitution, but, again, the Southern Christians wouldn't have it.
As much as I'd like things to be this easy, it isn't. Never in his life was Southern Deist secularist Jefferson an abolishionist. He did not ever release his slaves, unlike very Christian Adams, who always was an abolitionist. There were mixed feelings, and although the Southeners had much more to lose from slavery, there were plenty of abolitionists from the South. Washington was a slaver, too, but felt it as a matter of personal shame later in life and arranged for all his slaves to be freed on his death.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As much as I'd like things to be this easy, it isn't. Never in his life was Southern Deist secularist Jefferson an abolishionist. He did not ever release his slaves, unlike very Christian Adams, who always was an abolitionist. There were mixed feelings, and although the Southeners had much more to lose from slavery, there were plenty of abolitionists from the South. Washington was a slaver, too, but felt it as a matter of personal shame later in life and arranged for all his slaves to be freed on his death.
Jefferson was crap with his money and he couldn't afford to free his slave. He wanted to condemn the King in the Declaration for bringing and allowing slavery in the New World, and he and some others of the North wanted to end slavery in the Constitution, but do avoid a gridlock on the issue that would go nowhere Franklin convinced them that because slavery is so inhuman and barbaric and bad for an economy that it would soon die out on it's own and for the sake of the Union they should just let the South have slaves, and then after conceding on allowing slaves the 3/5th Compromise and EC was conceived to prevent the South gaining an advantage in the Federal government due to have a higher population because of their slaves.
(1776) The Deleted Passage of the Declaration of Independence
When Thomas Jefferson included a passage attacking slavery in his draft of the Declaration of Independence it initiated the most intense debate among the delegates gathered at Philadelphia in the spring and early summer of 1776. Jefferson’s passage on slavery was the most important section removed from the final document. It was replaced with a more ambiguous passage about King George’s incitement of “domestic insurrections among us.” Decades later Jefferson blamed the removal of the passage on delegates from South Carolina and Georgia and Northern delegates who represented merchants who were at the time actively involved in the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. Jefferson’s original passage on slavery appears below.

He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain. Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce. And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.
The secular, Enlightened Deists Founding Fathers were very much into the ideas of natural rights, classic Liberal economics, and property rights. Slavery goes against those, and was condemned by some of the philosophers, economists, and intellectuals those Founding Fathers were influenced by.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jefferson was crap with his money and he couldn't afford to free his slave. He wanted to condemn the King in the Declaration for bringing and allowing slavery in the New World, and he and some others of the North wanted to end slavery in the Constitution, but do avoid a gridlock on the issue that would go nowhere Franklin convinced them that because slavery is so inhuman and barbaric and bad for an economy that it would soon die out on it's own and for the sake of the Union they should just let the South have slaves, and then after conceding on allowing slaves the 3/5th Compromise and EC was conceived to prevent the South gaining an advantage in the Federal government due to have a higher population because of their slaves.
(1776) The Deleted Passage of the Declaration of Independence

The secular, Enlightened Deists Founding Fathers were very much into the ideas of natural rights, classic Liberal economics, and property rights. Slavery goes against those, and was condemned by some of the philosophers, economists, and intellectuals those Founding Fathers were influenced by.
I agree with most of this but many founding fathers at the time who were emancipators fairly criticized Jefferson as apologetic, along the lines of 'I'm sorry are those natural rights getting in the way of your bottom line?' He allowed the illigimitate children of his relationship with Sally (which there is still an open question about consent) go free easily enough. Two he allowed to escape and two he released upon death. The vat majority of his slaves stayed in Montecello after his death though.

There's other topics that I think Jefferson talked the talk but never walked the walk (women's suffrage was another).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree with most of this but many founding fathers at the time who were emancipators fairly criticized Jefferson as apologetic, along the lines of 'I'm sorry are those natural rights getting in the way of your bottom line?' He allowed the illigimitate children of his relationship with Sally (which there is still an open question about consent) go free easily enough. Two he allowed to escape and two he released upon death. The vat majority of his slaves stayed in Montecello after his death though.
Ultimately, America was founded by businessmen who were interested in business pursuits. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of property was another original line that didn't make the final.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yes, I am sure. In what capacity would you chair academic conferences? Is this a biblical literalist homeschooling thing?

So no actual evidence or legitimate, verified quotes, then? Just some typical Christianist slogans and assertions.

LOL!

Whatever, man... Whatever you need to tell yourself to get through your day and make yourself feel special.

The next place I'm chairing is: Home

Hitler and Darwin: http://home.uchicago.edu/~rjr6/articles/Was Hitler a Darwinian.pdf and
From Darwin to Hitler Quotes by Richard Weikart

Stalin and Darwin: God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just... I'll lend you a book and you'll see.
Positive Christianity: Positive Christianity - Wikipedia

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Hitler and Darwin: http://home.uchicago.edu/~rjr6/articles/Was Hitler a Darwinian.pdf and

Stalin and Darwin: God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just... I'll lend you a book and you'll see.
Hitler misunderstanding and/or misusing Darwin is not an argument against Darwinian evolution, so you can stop trotting out that little PRATT just any time.

tas8831

"Hitler and Stalin did what they did as Darwinists." - @BilliardsBall
I categorically reject anything by Weikart due to many instances of his shoddy scholarship:

"Weikart is best known for his 2004 book From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics and Racism in Germany.[24][25] The Discovery Institute, the hub of the intelligent design movement, funded the book's research.[26] The academic community has been widely critical of the book.[4][13] Regarding the thesis of Weikart's book, University of Chicago historian Robert Richards wrote that Hitler was not a Darwinian and criticized Weikart for trying to undermine evolution.[27] Richards said that there was no evidence that Hitler read Darwin, and that some influencers of Nazism such as Houston Stewart Chamberlain were opposed to evolution.[27]"

But I do thank you for linking the Roberts article, for it would appear that you did not read it, for it concludes, any emphases mine:

"Countless conservative religious and political tracts have attempted to undermine
Darwinian evolutionary theory by arguing that it had been endorsed by Hitler
and led to
the biological ideas responsible for the crimes of the Nazis. These dogmatically driven
accounts have been abetted by more reputable scholars who have written books with
titles like From Darwin to Hitler [was that not written by your hero, Weikart the righty propagandist?] . Ernst Haeckel, Darwin’s great German disciple, is presumed to have virtually packed his sidecar with Darwinian theory and monistic philosophy and delivered their toxic message directly to Berchtesgaden or at least,individuals like Daniel Gasman, Stephen Jay
Gould, and Larry Arnhardt have so argued. Many more scholars are ready to apply the casual, but nonetheless, telling sobriquet to Hitler of "social Darwinian.” In this essay I have maintained these assumptions simply cannot be sustained after a careful
examination of the evidence.

To be considered a Darwinian at least three propositions would have to be
endorsed: that the human races exhibit a hierarchy of more advanced and less
advanced peoples; that the transmutation of species has occurred over long
stretches of time and that human beings have descended from ape -like ancestors; and that
natural selection — as Darwin understood it — is the principle means by which
transmutation occurs. Hitler and the Nazi biologists I have considered certainly claimed
a hierarchy of races, but that idea far antedated the publication of Darwin’s theory and
was hardly unique to it.
There is no evidence linking Hitler’s presumption of such a
hierarchy and Darwin’s conception
. Moreover, Hitler explicitly denied the descent of
species, utterly rejecting the idea that Aryan man descended from ape - like predecessors. And most of the Nazi scientists I have cited likewise opposed that aspect of Darwin’s theory. Hitler did speak of the “struggle for existence,” but likely derived that language from his friend and supporter Houston Stewart Chamberlain, an avowed anti-Darwinian. Moreover, by Hitler’s own testimony, his anti-Semitism had political, not scientific or biological roots; there is no evidence that he had any special feeling for these scientific questions. And in any case, remote and abstract scientific conceptions can hardly provide the motivation for extreme political acts and desperate measures.
Among Nazi biologists, at least those publishing in an official organ of the Party,
Mendelian genetics and de Vriesian mutation theory were favored, both vying at the
beginning of the twentieth century to replace Darwinian theory. Moreover, the
perceived mechanistic character of Darwinism stood in opposition to the more vitalistic
conceptions of Nazi biologists and that of Hitler — or at least vitalism accords with the
drift of his thought about race. Finally, though his own religious views remain uncertain, Hitler often enough claimed religious justification for racial attitudes, assuming thereby the kind of theism usually pitted against Darwinian theory.
If “Social Darwinian” is a concept with definite meaning, it would have to refer to
individuals who apply evolutionary theory to human beings in social settings.
There is little difficulty, then, in denominating Herbert Spencer or Ernst Haeckel a social
Darwinian. With that understanding, Darwin himself also would have to be so called.
But how could one possibly ascribe that term to Hitler, who rejected evolutionary
theory?
Only in the very loosest sense, when the phrase has no relationship to the
theory of Charles Darwin, might it be used for Hitler.
In order to sustain the thesis that Hitler was a Darwinian one would have to ignore all the explicit statements of Hitler rejecting any theory like Darwin’s and draw fanciful implications from vague words, errant phrases, and ambiguous sentences,neglecting altogether more straight -forward, contextual interpretations of such utterances. Only the ideologically blinded would still try to sustain the thesis in the face of the contrary, manifest evidence.
Yet, as I suggested at the beginning of this essay, there is an obvious sense in which my
own claims must be moot. Even if Hitler could recite the Origin of Speciesby heart and referred to Darwin as his scientific hero, that would not have the slightest bearing on the validity of Darwinian theory or the moral standing of its author.
The only reasonable answer to the question that gives this essay its title is a very loud and unequivocal No!

So, yes, I accept your own reference as proof that Hitler was not a Darwinian or follower of Darwin, and thank you for enlightening me on yet another act of desperation and dishonesty undertaken by MANY creationist and right-wing extremist religionists in their sad, pathetic efforts to employ fallacious and dishonest methods to try to prop up their own failing ideology.

Thank you again @BilliardsBall for making so clear an admission. Very brave of you to have undermined and dare I say, debunked one of your own mantras.

Ah, yes, so that totally proves that Stalin did what he did in Darwin's name. Excellent scholarship.

Please tell me that this 'academic conference' you are chairing will not be on any of the topics you broach on this forum?

Last edited:

tas8831

So... let me see if I understand what are you saying. Before, when people when to church, prayed in church and in schools, read the Bible in church and in the schools, when violent movies (or video games) were not for children and correction in school was "You have detention for chewing gum" and now that you can't and don't, there is no correlation?
Never heard of Leopold and Lowe? Charles Starkweather? Organized crime?

Patrick was just playing politics - riling up the goobers in the GOP base.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I don't understand what you're getting at, here. Yes,scientific understanding can be used for bad purposes. Dynamite can be used for mining, or bombs; eugenics -- selective breeding -- can create insulin, or anthrax.
Are you trying to make a case that knowledge put to bad use is somehow evidence that the knowledge is wrong?

Rational Agnostic

As @Kangaroo Feathers already pointed out, Hitler's and Stalin's mis-understanding of Darwin is irrelevant. Darwin was correct, and evolution is a fact. However, let's hypothetically suppose your utterly absurd idea is true (even though it almost certainly isn't). Even *if* the belief in evolution could be demonstrated to lead to violent, psychopathic behavior, the fact that species evolved would still be true.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Appearing on Fox & Friends, this morning Patrick got plenty of attention for blaming video games… even though the shooter made it clear he was following through on Donald Trump‘s anti-Hispanic rhetoric. But that’s not all he said.

He also said one of the causes was that kids no longer pray in schools.

He has to appeal to the average Fox viewer I suppose. It's sad that these nitwits are in positions of power.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In 2006, Robert J. Richards, historian of Darwin and eugenics at University of Chicago, wrote "It can only be a tendentious and dogmatically driven assessment that would condemn Darwin for the crimes of the Nazis."[26] Richards more pointedly concluded "Hitler was not a Darwinian" and "calls this all a desperate tactic to undermine evolution."[27] Richards explained, "There's not the slightest shred of evidence that Hitler read Darwin," and "Some of the biggest influences on Hitler's anti-Semitism were opposed to evolution, such as British writer Houston Stewart Chamberlain, whose racial theory became incorporated into Nazi doctrine."[27]
Doesn't look like your source supports this claim of a link between Hitler and Darwin. And I glanced over it. The author basically says the idea is bullox.