• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TX Gov. Rick Perry: A Man of the People

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
February 03, 2011

It's sunny California for Perry

Gov. Rick Perry headed out early for California (it's a bit warmer than Texas), where he was already scheduled to celebrate what would have been Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday this weekend.

Perry went to California Wednesday and is going to spend the night on the USS Ronald Reagan, said spokesman Mark Miner, and has visited with business leaders "in his continuing effort to bring jobs to Texas."

Perry's critics raise eyebrows at his traveling at a time when the state's facing a massive budget shortfall, not to mention the weather onslaught some have dubbed a "freeze-aster". Miner was, as usual, dismissive of such criticism.

"Spending time with our military is very important to the governor, and also economic development -- bringing jobs ot Texas -- has always been a priority of the governor," Miner said. "This is time well spent."

Miner added, "He's been in constant communication with the office on a number of issues, from legislative issues to the weather facing the state."

It's sunny California for Perry | Texas Politics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
He's got his priorities in order, too!

Attachments

• PerryMan.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 366
A

angellous_evangellous

Perry's tenure makes it hard to believe that there was once someone worse.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
And then there's this:
February 03, 2011

Are you ready for the next budget deficit?

It's coming in the next legislative session.
Pressed by Democratic senators on the Finance Committee, John Heleman said the state will have a $10 billion structural deficit in future budgets largely because the business tax has underperformed and the 2006 property tax swap has cost more than expected.
The revised business tax was supposed to bring in $6 billion per year. Instead, it it is generating $4 billion. The cost of the property tax relief is also running about $1 billion per year above expectations.
"That gap is not closing up," said Heleman, chief revenue estimator for Comptroller Susan Combs.
Republican state leaders have attributed the state's budget woes to the recesssion and have dismissed calls to raise taxes to deal with the current budget shortfall, estimated at $15 billion to $27 billion, saying they can cut their way out of that hole.
But the structural deficit would mean legislators would have to come back in 2013 and beyond to deal with at least another $10 billion hole.

I wish there were some joy to be had in saying "I told you so", but it's too depressing. The bottom line is that when we're done firing teachers and closing nursing homes and making college unattainable, we'll be in more or less the same position in 2013 as we are right now. The people who are busy telling you that we can't afford to do anything are lying. The situation we're in is a Republican creation, but they don't see it as a problem. Until enough other people begin to see it as one, we'll keep doing what they're about to do now.

Are you ready for the next budget deficit? | Kuff's World | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
More special stuff from Gov. Goodhair:

Budget hits PUC and 'non-critical' agencies hard
Perry's plan would save some of his pet projects
By GARY SCHARRER
AUSTIN BUREAU
Feb. 8, 2011, 8:36PM

AUSTIN — The state Constitution requires the Texas governor to offer a budget proposal, but it does not obligate state lawmakers to pay much attention to it. And they probably won't.

That is not to say the governor's bare-bones budget plan is not without its eye-catching features.

Perry's budget, released after his State of the State speech to legislators, would slash the Public Utility Commission's budget by more than 90 percent and drastically reduce spending for public schools and state-provided health care, while consolidating dozens of state agencies.

It also calls for a hard line against "non-critical" agencies, such as the Texas Historical Commission and the Commission on the Arts, which he suggests should be temporarily shut down.

The state is facing a record budget shortfall of at least $15 billion and as much as $27 billion.

"We must respond to the state's budget challenges just as Texas families respond to their own financial challenges - by tightening our belts, discerning between needs and wants - and setting priorities accordingly," Perry said.

Perry insisted on a "responsible, balanced budget that reduces spending, sets budget and policy priorities without raising taxes and preserves the state's Rainy Day Fund."

The governor said there were no sacred cows, but then made the case for some of his favorite projects: $150 million for the Texas Enterprise Fund; $15 million to the Emerging Technology Fund and $20 million for the "film and video game incentive program" that tries to lure technology companies to Texas.

Perry also wants new money for a disaster contingency fund, an expanded "virtual school" network and new tax breaks for businesses. All told, including the Enterprise Fund request, Perry is proposing more than $500 million be spent on his initiatives and priorities, including business tax incentives costing $150 million.

Perry wants $500M for initiatives in budget facing $15B in cuts | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Attachments

• SacredCow.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 205

Jacksnyte

Reverend
February 03, 2011

It's sunny California for Perry

Gov. Rick Perry headed out early for California (it's a bit warmer than Texas), where he was already scheduled to celebrate what would have been Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday this weekend.

Perry went to California Wednesday and is going to spend the night on the USS Ronald Reagan, said spokesman Mark Miner, and has visited with business leaders "in his continuing effort to bring jobs to Texas."

Perry's critics raise eyebrows at his traveling at a time when the state's facing a massive budget shortfall, not to mention the weather onslaught some have dubbed a "freeze-aster". Miner was, as usual, dismissive of such criticism.

"Spending time with our military is very important to the governor, and also economic development -- bringing jobs ot Texas -- has always been a priority of the governor," Miner said. "This is time well spent."

Miner added, "He's been in constant communication with the office on a number of issues, from legislative issues to the weather facing the state."

It's sunny California for Perry | Texas Politics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

This fool has been living in a million dollar rented mansion at taxpayers expense while th governor's house is renovated after a fire that happened a couple of years ago. He is IMO a sleazy douche just like his predecessor. I've had to ride past that Governor's house on a regular basis for quite some time now, and I am disgusted.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
This fool has been living in a million dollar rented mansion at taxpayers expense while th governor's house is renovated after a fire that happened a couple of years ago. He is IMO a sleazy douche just like his predecessor. I've had to ride past that Governor's house on a regular basis for quite some time now, and I am disgusted.
You won't get any arguments from me.............

A

angellous_evangellous

I wonder if we'd get in trouble if we peed on his door.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If, by "the people," you mean "frightened and easily distracted people who are especially nervous about brown-looking people," then the label fits.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
doppelgänger;2349380 said:
If, by "the people," you mean "frightened and easily distracted people who are especially nervous about brown-looking people," then the label fits.
Sorry, I forgot the [/sarcasm] tags.......

A

angellous_evangellous

Not being "of the people" wouldn't be so bad if he were "for the people."

A

angellous_evangellous

They have a fence with razor wire up all around it, and Texas State Troopers for guards 24-hours. (Don't think I haven't thought of it!)

The troopers might actually let us in and help out.

A

angellous_evangellous

Most cops have no self-respect.

You can make that work for you or let it work against you.