• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Words That Disprove the Bible

Giega

Relevance is in the eye of the beholder. I don't expect you to agree with me or admit that I make a valid point (such as "prove it" is too broad and ridiculous a "challenge" to answer seriously).

As for "believing differently than other Christians," most Christians I have known over my 49 years on this earth basically agree with what I posted when it comes to biblical interpretation. Of course there are those who don't - but my beliefs are pretty mainstream.

And I did specify, which seemed to change nothing for you. We must live in different neighborhoods, though. I live in basically the reverse of what your do.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
OK, I get it now. It's going to be one of THOSE types of discussions. Sorry - I'm outta here. I prefer to discuss things in plain English in sentences which make sense.

Giega

Say what?

Say I did specify the question which seems to have changed nothing in your eyes. I also went on to say that the Christians in my area, for the most part, believe the narrative portions of the Bible are fact. Clear enough?

Giega

OK, I get it now. It's going to be one of THOSE types of discussions. Sorry - I'm outta here. I prefer to discuss things in plain English in sentences which make sense.

Shoulda seen this coming. You taking the first excuse to exit without proving me wrong.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Bingo. But no one can honestly say that really happened, can they?

On this forum Noah's Ark is a hotly disputed topic. Some people actually do believe that the flood covered the whole world. That, people in my field as well as many other know is impossible.
A possible interpretation is that the flood was localised. Interpretation and context are important. However those are two words that allow biblical proponents to sidestep important scientific discoveries which challenge biblical information.

As for parting a sea..... who knows if the bible authors meant that to be taken literally. Context once again my friend.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Try speaking clearly and concisely, and asking specific questions rather than making sweeping generalizations like "prove it" and saying weird stuff like "we live in different neighborhoods" and maybe we can finally get to some intelligent conversation.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hence why the Big Bang Theory is that, a theory. I think it's safe to say that most Christians believe that Jesus was resurrected after three days, but I have yet to find one that can provide evidence for it.

But that lack of evidence isn't automatic disproof. It's just simply a lack of evidence.

I understand what you're saying about the collection of works over time, but I don't think its enough. To look a little further back, at Greek mythology. It was adopted into Roman mythology and accepted for a long time, yet now it has literally no believers. In two thousand years, the same thing could happen to the bible.

What does Greco-Roman mythology have to do with the fact that the Bible is a collection of works over time? (Never mind that there ARE reconstructions of those religions in existence; they're just not very common).

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
But that lack of evidence isn't automatic disproof. It's just simply a lack of evidence.

So that makes it possible then?

Theres a tonne of evidence against namely it is impossible to ressurect someone. Assuming divine intervention does not count on a scientific level and is outside the capabilities of man to examine.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So that makes it possible then?

Theres a tonne of evidence against namely it is impossible to ressurect someone. Assuming divine intervention does not count on a scientific level and is outside the capabilities of man to examine.

Which is a possibility, however small it may be.

Disproving something involves demonstrating that something is absolutely an impossible situation.

But you provided real evidence against it, namely it's (at least currently) impossible to resurrect someone who's dead, sans divine intervention. Even if we somehow manage to develop a method of resurrecting the dead scientifically, such a method didn't exist 2000 years ago.

My point was, simply saying "prove it" isn't enough to disprove something. There needs to be more.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Which is a possibility, however small it may be.

Disproving something involves demonstrating that something is absolutely an impossible situation.

But you provided real evidence against it, namely it's (at least currently) impossible to resurrect someone who's dead, sans divine intervention. Even if we somehow manage to develop a method of resurrecting the dead scientifically, such a method didn't exist 2000 years ago.

My point was, simply saying "prove it" isn't enough to disprove something. There needs to be more.

Prove it is a challenge to prove a claim which relies (in this case) on knowing that no "scientific" evidence exists to substantiate the claim. Essentially thats a long way of saying I agree with what you said ;)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There is no proof yet... There may be someday. You never know.

Not a Christian but I support every religion sometimes.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
There is no proof yet... There may be someday. You never know.

Not a Christian but I support every religion sometimes.

There may be proof of dragons some day. That point however does not substantiate that dragons are credible or that dragon related information is even remotely reliable.

You can replace the word dragon with God.

I'm uncomfortable with the assumption that something that has almost zero evidence is considered plausible simply because evidence is so scant.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I agree with that. Even in cases where there is some kind of physical evidence such as those put forth through Abusers and Fallingblood's links, it should be noted everything of interest towards discovering the truth needs to be thoroughly scrutinised as to it's validity and/or substance. Lot's of study. Personally, I'm not convinced by any of them aside from archaeological value to which it presents a window in time and some already are quite disproven and/or debunked IMO.

Bottom line is I can accept bono-fide artifacts scientifically confirmed by age and time frame, as they are, but am nowhere near convinced by any of them of it's substance as it pertains to the supernatural sense.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's good to know the Bible has been disproved in just two words. Saves us all a lot of trouble. I wonder what's on TV tonight?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There may be proof of dragons some day. That point however does not substantiate that dragons are credible or that dragon related information is even remotely reliable.

You can replace the word dragon with God.

I'm uncomfortable with the assumption that something that has almost zero evidence is considered plausible simply because evidence is so scant.

I agree... The chances of proof of God is proof of fairies...

What chances of that being the Christian Yeshua and Yahweh? The ratio is 1:6,000,000,000 maybe even more.

barney1956

Faith I can understand. I'm referring to the way Christians believe fairy tale like stories in the bible are indisputable fact.

i agree that many people take the bible and try to prove fairy tale like stories, but the bible said there would be such people in the world; that's no reason to not believe the bible