• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

two religions at once

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
the two i wish to fallow are Buddhism and Hinduism
is it possible to do so ?

It depends, but the short answer is "yes". There are elements of both religions that are virtually identical (don't let anyone tell you otherwise); other elements are diametrically opposed. In my opinion it's because of the multitude of denominations, sects and schools in each religion. Follow any of my posts in the Buddhism DIR, specifically Vajrayana DIR, and the things Shuddhasattva has pointed out to me, as well as tidbits from others. Of course you may be drawn to the incompatible elements, which would put the kebosh on your syncretization. However, if you stumble onto the elements I did, I think they can work nicely together.

We have one Buddhist/Hindu syncretic on this forum.

At least. There are a few of varying degrees, I think.

I'm sure it is possible, although I tend to think that Buddhism is just another branch in the tree that is Hinduism.

This goes back to my comment about the multiplicity of denominations and sects. It's more like a bush than a tree. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The two common comments that I've typically heard from Hindus regarding Buddhism are that it is a part of Hinduism, or to dismiss it as heretical.

You'll hear the same from some Buddhists. Both sides can be rabid about it, and for no good reason other than "my sadhana can beat up your sadhana". :rolleyes: Actually I think it stems from ignorance (not in the pejorative usage, but as in non-knowledge), and a degree of closed-mindedness (that was pejorative :D).

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Isn't this like comparing Tennessee with California? They're both in the West, right? Yes or course there are differences, but the underlying philosophies of both are still Western.

That the sort of programming that occurs happens early in our development. I can be learned later in life, like a second language, but it doesn't function like those which are learned at that earliest of stages in development. It's the difference between saying "I get it. I understand", versus, "That's just how things are. It's the natural way of things." Do you see the difference?

Actually, how can you? You didn't grow up in another culture, so how can you know how you think would be the same unless you actually were that other you? I'm simply drawing off what happens psychologically in childhood development and how language (symbol systems) affects this directly. Your argument here seems anecdotal.

I've never said they cannot be crossed. I believe they can through finding commonalities. And that goes to the heart of my argument. It's translated, not native. There will always be a difference between something native, and learned later in life. It cannot be the same because it's not integrated in the same processes at the same stage of development.

You can learn these. I have myself. But they are not my native language. And as such, they can't carry that same meaning as if I lived within that culture and became so saturated with that, somehow evacuating all vestiges of my early childhood development that for all intents and purpose I was a Hindu or Buddhist from birth. Of course we can adapt! Absolutely. This is describing being eclectic. But.... as such the symbols in my own experience are modified, by my native culture. The symbols becomes added to.

No. But it's to recognize that Eastern symbols in a Western context become a blended symbol, or a new symbol. This of course is NOT to say they aren't valid. I very much believe they are, and frankly are useful and needed! But make no mistakes, they mean something to my friends from Tibet in ways I can never fully understand, nor they me. But the common ground is where we meet and share and enjoy. Right?
Well, as a Westerner, I'm still trying to understand "Western Philosophy." I can make it through Plato's World of Forms if I supply my own subtitles from the Tao Te Ching as I'm reading. However, the more I think I might understand Plato, the more I'd love to see Chuang Tzu slap Plato silly.

I've gotten to the point where I regard certain points in Plato as subtle satire, which makes some of his ideas a bit more palpable. :eek:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yes, it's possible to follow two religions at the same time as long as they don't contradict each other, and aren't exclusivist if theistic.

The second part of your question, not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Because they're two different religions, not necessarily suited to Syncretism IMO.
That being said I it depends on ones perspective.
My perspective is just because mommy and daddy sometimes seem to contradict each other, it doesn't mean that a child should only have one parent.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear darkasylum ,
i was wondering if it is possible to fallow two religions at once
very much deppends what you mean by follow ?

yes I agree with others over this in that they are so closly related having come from the same root . but there are areas of conflict in practice , allthough there are so many differences in practice within hinduism or buddhism alone , so there will be crossovers in some places and contradictions in others .

personaly I am not sure that I would advise trying to take both on as practices at the same time if one is starting out , but I can highly recomend gaining an understanding of both .
allthough I openly identify with both the vaisnava branch of hinduism and buddhism , this is due to time place and circumstance . and has not been without its drawbacks .

I am inclined to say choose to follow and practice one , but have an understanding of the other , as by following one you will automaticaly be practicing the same priciples . it is just that the method of practice can be very different .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Yes, it's possible to follow two religions at the same time as long as they don't contradict each other, and aren't exclusivist if theistic.

here I have to agree ,
unfortunately between hinduism and buddhism there are apparent contradictions,
especialy over the theistic veiw point .

allthough please note that I say apparent !
but this can cause many problems .

The second part of your question, not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it.

so from that stand point I am not inclined to recomend it either ,
but I would deffinately recomend looking behind the initialy 'apparent' apperance .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Are Buddhism and Hinduism 2 religions?

but I am also inclined to agree , in that they belong to the same root ,

however they have culturaly grown appart so we now have countless branches with in hinduism and possibly just as many forms of buddhism , and of course come areas of crossover and contradiction , just as there are areas of contradiction even in buddhist beleif alone .

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm inclined to agree w ratikala-ji in that an incompatibility would be to try to practice Catholicism Buddhism & Hinduism from a rituals & face value position, i. e. attending Mass & pujas unless you can reconcile Mass being a puja to Jesus as a divinity, or e.g. Vishnu himself. Even in my universalist view that's a tough nut to crack. But to pray to Manjusri, Medicine Buddha, Tara along with Hindu deities, I think works because imo they are different manifestations of the Hindu gods, having the same roots. I see Medicine Buddha as Lord Dhanvantari.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Anything is possible. If you wish to mix Hinduism and Buddhism, go on ahead. Just keep in mind that not everyone will agree with your mixture.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Make informed choices, but also follow your heart.
Be respectful of others, but stand up for what you believe in.

And breath.... always make with the breathing :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
i was wondering if it is possible to fallow two religions at once
Answer is yes and no. In some cases such as Buddhism, another religion can be distractive when full attention is needed in order to be effective.
There is nothing in any rulebook saying that you cant try however. Depends how good your juggling is.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Buddhism is not that I am aware of. That would present a contradiction.

That's a common misconception. The Buddha simply refused to go into it. Mahayana, and especially Vajrayana are theistic. Buddhism is vast. In Vajrayana, at least, there is Adi-Buddha, a concept very similar to that of Brahman. Moreover, there are Hindus and Buddhists who consider the Buddha an incarnation of Vishnu. Mahayana and Vajrayana have adopted many of the deities of Hinduism. Tara and Cundi, two important goddesses are just two of the "adoptees"; even Ganesha was adoptes by some Buddhist sects; Saraswati and her Buddhist consort Manjushri are Buddhist deities.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That would present a contradiction.

And that in essence, is the problem in mix and match. But of course if you use pick and choose from each, it is less so. If you pick all the yellow marbles out of a marble collection, and pick all the yellow candies out of a candy box, they seem to match. :)

Freedomelf

Calyr Elves believe that there is some truth, some fiction in all religions (including their own). By studying several, you learn what is right for you, a unique blend that suits your own soul. One size does not fit all in religion. Good luck to you, and Blessings.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And that in essence, is the problem in mix and match. But of course if you use pick and choose from each, it is less so. If you pick all the yellow marbles out of a marble collection, and pick all the yellow candies out of a candy box, they seem to match. :)

And therein lies the trick... finding the commonality. Sometimes one yellow candy doesn't quite satisfy you, a red one would taste awful with the yellow, but finding more yellows hits the spot.

How do I come up with this stuff? :facepalm:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm jonesing for some M&Ms. Peanut M&Ms to be precise. But I have all today's Weight Watchers points accounted for. Drat!