• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Political Questions...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Affirmative.
Affirmative.
Earth.

About the answers:
Generality: Ideal & otherwise.
Basis: Libertarian

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
1) In an ideal world, do you believe you should have a say in whether or not your neighbor can pollute your air and drinking water?

Yes.

2) In an ideal world, would you want and accept government intervention to stop your neighbor from polluting your air and drinking water (assuming your neighbor were doing it)?

Yes.

EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION: In what nation or jurisdiction do you live?

The Old Pueblo.

Not an "ideal world."

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Noord Holland or Zuid Holland?
Haha. When I say "Holland" I mean the Netherlands. We do have 11 "provincies" (states) of which 2 are indeed "Noord Holland" and "Zuid Holland"

But I live in the "provincie" called Friesland, it's the one in the North. Lucky for us, the one with the least Corona victims thus far.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
1) In an ideal world, do you believe you should have a say in whether or not your neighbor can pollute your air and drinking water?

No, because in an "ideal world" - that is, a Druid paradise where humans are no longer massively overpopulated and causing a sixth mass extinction crisis and global ecocide with their improper use of technology and rampant selfish greed - humans would not be doing either of those things to begin with to any extent to which it would become problematic. Besides, the gods do not belong to humans, we belong to them; it is not my Land, Sea, and Sky.

2) In an ideal world, would you want and accept government intervention to stop your neighbor from polluting your air and drinking water (assuming your neighbor were doing it)?

See above. But if we speculate that even in this Druid paradise there are a few heretics who abuse the gods, then some sort of intervention would be necessary and important. This would probably be done by social norms though, not the governments that pass down dictums as those probably wouldn't exist in the Druid paradise as they wouldn't be needed.

Other humans - a bunch of wealthy white men who are long dead and came to this land as conquerers - called this place the United States after a time. The name stuck. It means little to me, and I am no patriot. To me this is the land of many gods.

Audie

Veteran Member

The questions are straight-forward and to the point. Let the weaseling around giving them straight and to the point answers commence at once!

The Japanese are very good at neighbours settling things on a small local basis,
"Government" being perhaps a respected elder called in to arbitrate.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes.

Yes.

Detroit area, Michigan, in the U.S.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The questions are straight-forward and to the point. Let the weaseling around giving them straight and to the point answers commence at once!

Humans can't exist without polluting. Humans create waste. So fantasy world.
Sure the ideal world would be a world where humans don't create waste. Problem solved.

PureX

Veteran Member
How about we turn the questions around.

1) In an ideal world, do you believe you should be able to pollute your neighbor's air and drinking water for your own gain?

2) In an ideal world, would you want and accept government intervention to stop you from polluting your neighbor's air and drinking water (assuming you were doing it)?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
New 1) In an ideal world, do you believe you should have a say in whether or not your neighbor can pollute your air and drinking water?
Yes, within reason.

But me "having a say" in support of something that causes air or water pollution of my neighbourhood shouldn't be construed as me consenting on behalf of my neighbours.

Yes, within reason.

Canada

Ponder This

"The questions are straight forward and to the point." :rolleyes:

"ideal world" = imaginary world
"a say" = telling your neighbor he's a bad person? punching your neighbor in the face? forcing him to wait until you get there so that you can pollute together? voting on a law of questionable specificity? Burning his house down and killing his cat?
"your air and drinking water" = not "your" air and drinking water
"your neighbor" = my neighbor? another country? an imaginary ideal neighbor
"pollute" = fails to specify how or in what way or for what reason.... campfire with their kids? pooping on your lawn? Deliberate massive CO2 emission?
"government intervention" = legislation? police home invasion? military control? fines? jail time? lobotomy?

I think I have to say in the most straight and to the point way possible... Probably Yes and Probably No.
"Hey neighbor... could you not poop on my lawn?"
Ideal World "Sure friend, no worries."
Ideal Government: "Yeah, that seems about right."

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
1) In an ideal world, do you believe you should be able to pollute your neighbor's air and drinking water for your own gain?
No.
But if I am it is because I am not in realization that I am.
Hopefully said neighbor would be courteous enough to let me know.

2) In an ideal world, would you want and accept government intervention to stop you from polluting your neighbor's air and drinking water (assuming you were doing it)?
Yes.
But that is simply because I do not intentionally pollute the air and or water anywhere, let alone in my own home.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Haha. When I say "Holland" I mean the Netherlands. We do have 11 "provincies" (states) of which 2 are indeed "Noord Holland" and "Zuid Holland"

But I live in the "provincie" called Friesland, it's the one in the North. Lucky for us, the one with the least Corona victims thus far.
I've been to Friesland, but when I'm in the Netherlands it's mostly either Groningen or Noord Holland.

PureX

Veteran Member
No.
But if I am it is because I am not in realization that I am.
Hopefully said neighbor would be courteous enough to let me know.
What if you and your whole family's livelihood comes from it. Maybe you own a strip mine for coal. And now the government says we need to switch to some other form of energy because your coal is ruining the environment.

There are people on RF that believe very strongly that the government should stop strangling the lumber, mining, and grazing industries with anti-pollution legislation. In fact, they want government to stop meddling in commerce all together. Not just on behalf of the environment, but on behalf of worker safety, product safety, fair trade, and anything else that gets in the way of jobs and profit. Theirs, or anyone's.

It's a very big reason why people vote for republicans. And I was curious if anyone here was willing to own up to it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are people on RF that believe very strongly that the government should stop strangling the lumber, mining, grazing industries with anti-pollution legislation. In fact, they want government to stop meddling in commerce all together.
Could you alert & invite one of these people
to come here & defend their position?
I'd like to hear & counter their argument.

PureX

Veteran Member
Could you alert & invite one of these people
to come here & defend their position?
I'd like to hear & counter their argument.
I just did. But first, they have to be willing to own up to it. To what their "get the government off the backs of business" stance really means. That it really means allowing pollution for profit. That it really means allowing the exploitation of our environment for profit. That it really means endangering people's lives for the sake of commercial profit. They don't like to look at that aspect of their positions; to the point of their not even seeing it, in many instances.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
What if you and your whole family's livelihood comes from it. Maybe you own a strip mine for coal. And now the government says we need to switch to some other form of energy because your coal is ruining the environment.
Me personally, if I owned a coal mine I would be seriously encouraging my descendants to learn all they could about alternatives to coal.
Mainly because I know that sooner or later coal will no longer be available or feasible.