• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Kinds of Religion

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So the Norse gods are false, the Abrahamic god is false, the Celtic gods are false and the Hindu gods are false? Those that follow them are following gods that do not exist but yours does? I just want to make sure I understand. This would explain your confusion with modern paganism. With this attitude it would be easy for one to say there is only one religion and it is the one I follow and through out religious toleration.
I believe there is one God, yes. How I experience him differs from others.

Bear Wild

My point was that unless pagan religions accept the one true God of the Abrahamic religions they are no more tolerant than Abrahamic religions who do not accept the many gods of the pagan religions.

There are some pagans hostile to the Abrahamic religion because of its intolerance but most would not deny the Abrahamic god - but as the one true god for those followers and not everyone else.

Bear Wild

I believe there is one God, yes. How I experience him differs from others.

First remind me again what god you believe in?
Are you saying that Odin, Yahweh, your god and the Dagda are all the same?
And what about the goddess which is equally important in my belief?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
First remind me again what god you believe in?
Are you saying that Odin, Yahweh, your god and the Dagda are all the same?
And what about the goddess which is equally important in my belief?
Amun. Also known as Amun-Ra.

No, I would say they're either non-existent or aspects of Amun.

I believe Amun is essentially genderless. I've no need for 'goddess worship'.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some pagans hostile to the Abrahamic religion because of its intolerance but most would not deny the Abrahamic god - but as the one true god for those followers and not everyone else.

This is true. It took me a long time not to bristle at Abrahamic faith because of the bullying I'd experienced from Christians as a kid.

But as I grew, learned, and had better interactions with Christians(I hadn't ever been bullied by anyone in the Jewish or Muslim religion, and until coming to these forums had never met a Baha'i), I could recognize that not all Christians behaved this way.

Bear Wild

This is true. It took me a long time not to bristle at Abrahamic faith because of the bullying I'd experienced from Christians as a kid.

But as I grew, learned, and had better interactions with Christians(I hadn't ever been bullied by anyone in the Jewish or Muslim religion, and until coming to these forums had never met a Baha'i), I could recognize that not all Christians behaved this way.

I went to college in South Carolina. Clearly not a very tolerate place if you are not one of their Christians.

Bear Wild

Amun. Also known as Amun-Ra.

No, I would say they're either non-existent or aspects of Amun.

I believe Amun is essentially genderless. I've no need for 'goddess worship'.

So is amun a part of this universe or completely supernatural?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I went to college in South Carolina. Clearly not a very tolerate place if you are not one of their Christians.

My husband was born there, and bounced around the south growing up.

When he moved here, he dropped at work that he wasn't Christian. He came home terrified that someone was going to beat him up.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What I'm taking from this is that many, many US Christians are totally insane.

Not generally a European problem.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is understandable why pagans would be hostile to religions that are claiming to be the only way or/and sending them to hell. Nobody should ever do that, as it is not only disrespectful but it is also arrogant. Unfortunately, they cannot deny the teachings of their religion and act as if they are tolerant of others and still be honest.

What I don't understand is how people think. They seem to think that there can be one God or gods for one group of people and another God or gods for another group of people. That is patently illogical because "in reality" there is either one God or there are many gods. Do people even care about reality, or do they think religion is just a new outfit you purchase at a store according to what looks and feels comfortable?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Trailblazer: I totally and wholeheartedly disagree with your statement

That is the same like saying "India should accept that the US nukes India"

That is just too absurd for words ... its exactly what narcissists usually claim
@stvdvRF
I said: My point was that unless pagan religions accept the one true God of the Abrahamic religions they are no more tolerant than Abrahamic religions who do not accept the many gods of the pagan religions.

Can you explain why you disagree? Why the double standard? It is clearly a double standard if you expect the Abrahamics to be tolerant of the many gods belief but do not expect pagans to be tolerant of the one God belief.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This is so very true. The moment you tolerate such horrible religions, you have killed yourself

"my way is the highway" reflects the basis of lack of mutual respect, as does "our God is the true and only God"
That cuts both ways. If one believes that "all our numerous Gods and Goddesses" is the truth and one is insisting there are many gods rather than just one God they are just as disrespectful as someone who believes in one God.

It is not the religions that are intolerant, it is the religious believers, as intolerance is an attitude.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why should we tolerate a religion which disregards all our numerous Gods and Goddesses.
Why should Baha'is believe in numerous Gods and Goddesses when Baha'u'llah wrote that there is only one true God? That is also a Jewish belief and a Christian belief and a Muslim belief.

Tolerance and belief are two separate matters. I can tolerate people with different beliefs without agreeing with them.

I do not believe there are numerous Gods and Goddesses. You are free to believe that but that is not my belief because it makes absolutely no logical sense to me that there would need to be more than one God, since I believe that the one true God is omnipotent an omniscient.

Bear Wild

My husband was born there, and bounced around the south growing up.

When he moved here, he dropped at work that he wasn't Christian. He came home terrified that someone was going to beat him up.

Ok I have to know - What part of South Carolina if you do not mind. I went to college in Rock Hill.

By the way I have just started the Bard training and I love it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Tolerates rapes and murders, sends diseases and calamities on earth. If that is the type of your God, then it is he would should be sent to hell, the despot.
God is not responsible for the rapes and murders, humans are responsible for these acts, so why should God take responsibility for what is not His responsibility?

God does not send diseases and calamities to earth, that is just part of the natural order of creation, so the only thing you can logically blame God for is creating a world like this.

And what are all your many Gods and Goddesses doing about murder and rape and diseases and calamities?

Last edited:

Bear Wild

Transcendent.

I have know only a few people who chose the Kemetic path but they recognized many Egyptian deities. I think you are the first who is so strictly monotheistic. How do you know personally that there are no other gods or goddesses including the other Egyptian deities?

Bear Wild

It is understandable why pagans would be hostile to religions that are claiming to be the only way or/and sending them to hell. Nobody should ever do that, as it is not only disrespectful but it is also arrogant. Unfortunately, they cannot deny the teachings of their religion and act as if they are tolerant of others and still be honest.

What I don't understand is how people think. They seem to think that there can be one God or gods for one group of people and another God or gods for another group of people. That is patently illogical because "in reality" there is either one God or there are many gods. Do people even care about reality, or do they think religion is just a new outfit you purchase at a store according to what looks and feels comfortable?

By the way I really enjoy your view on things. May not always agree but I learn things and appreciate your thoughtful posts.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have know only a few people who chose the Kemetic path but they recognized many Egyptian deities. I think you are the first who is so strictly monotheistic. How do you know personally that there are no other gods or goddesses including the other Egyptian deities?
It's my belief based on how I understand the world.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

If they exist, are they truly gods or just Angels or just exalted masters from perspective they are good. And from the perspective they are bad, what proof do they have, of authority to guide and lead humans? Might be Jinn who think they should guide us lowly humans but they themselves are not authorities in guidance nor are guided towards the true unseen reality of God but they might like many misguided humans, think they are.

That, and what if they just fabricate a lie about God? Do you trust all humans, if not, why "gods"?