• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Forms of Christianity

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is there possibly two forms of Christianity? The Roman, or Western? And the orient, or Asian influenced? Middle East?

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Probably every culture that encountered it threw its own seasonings into the soup. I'm sure one traveled about, they'd find it to be that way. It's why saints for example are endemic to different places with Catholicism, and of course with Protestantism each of the denominations is more obviously different. I haven't even really studied Orthodox Christianity, I suppose I should read something on it eventually

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is there possibly two forms of Christianity? The Greek, or Western? And the orient, or Asian influenced? Middle East?
I would say the forms are countless. Christianity is the foremost mutant religion of the lot.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There's a possibility of there being more than two forms.
Ok, but initially is there a chance rome tried to influence the movement for power and control? To wrest it from the Oriental influence?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Is there possibly two forms of Christianity? The Roman, or Western? And the orient, or Asian influenced? Middle East?
Curious , the Western versions of Christianity and the include the Middle East versions, and are well accepted based on versions of scripture compiled in Rome. What would be the Oriental version?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

There are only two according to Jesus, but it has nothing to do with East or West.....
Its about the real "wheat" and the fake "weeds".

"He presented another illustration to them, saying: “The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25 While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26 When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27 So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29 He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse.’”

"Then after dismissing the crowds, he went into the house. His disciples came to him and said: “Explain to us the illustration of the weeds in the field.” 37 In response he said: “The sower of the fine seed is the Son of man; 38 the field is the world. As for the fine seed, these are the sons of the Kingdom, but the weeds are the sons of the wicked one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the Devil. The harvest is a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels. 40 Therefore, just as the weeds are collected and burned with fire, so it will be in the conclusion of the system of things. 41 The Son of man will send his angels, and they will collect out from his Kingdom all things that cause stumbling and people who practice lawlessness, 42 and they will pitch them into the fiery furnace. There is where their weeping and the gnashing of their teeth will be. 43 At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. Let the one who has ears listen.
(Matthew 13:24-30; 36-43)

The acceptable "wheat" is from "fine seed" planted and cultivated by Jesus and his apostles.
The "weeds" come in many varieties (as any gardener will know)....all evolved over time from a single ancestor....the mutations occurred very early and continued to the present day, adding more and more mutated features so that it is no longer recognizable as "Christianity". There is no point in trying to pick and choose between them as they all have the same originator, according to Jesus.

In the time of the end, (the harvest time) the difference would be clear...they would not resemble one another at all. So it isn't similarity that distinguishes Christ's true disciples in our day.....its the difference. (Matthew 7:21-23)

"Let the one who has ears listen."

Thief

Rogue Theologian
belief is like a crystal gem in your hand
facets well cut and polished

and when brought into the light of day
the many colors within shine unto your palm

(an old parable of my making)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Curious , the Western versions of Christianity and the include the Middle East versions, and are well accepted based on versions of scripture compiled in Rome. What would be the Oriental version?
the western would anthropomorphise God, the Jews didn't practice idolatry to a form. The middle East is still not considered West.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
the western would anthropomorphise God, the Jews didn't practice idolatry to a form. The middle East is still not considered West.

First Judaism is not Christianity. Second the Old Testament most definitely anthropomorphizes God. The Christianity of the Middle East is not much different than Western Christianity. They fundamentally use the same scriptures.

What is Oriental Christianity?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't know. There isn't much written history in the 1st century. How about the Gnostics?

I believe in the first 100 to 200 years of Christianity there was a range beliefs from mystic/gnostics, Jewish Christians, and variations of Roman/Hellenist Christianity.