• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Creation Accounts?

ecco

Veteran Member
You don't. You may stay in your simplistic mindset, stuck in the absurdity of the details.

Admitting that you believe paying attention to details is absurd explains a lot about your mindset.

I trust scholars. You claim you find your own truth. Yet you conveniently ignored the following.

So, everything you know is based on your own original research. You believe the Exodus actually occurred because you went out into the desert and found traces of Jews wandering around.

My heartiest congratulations. I never went into the desert and found nothing. All I could do is rely on the findings and writings of other people who actually did.

pearl

Admitting that you believe paying attention to details is absurd explains a lot about your mindset.

If you had ever read any scholar of modern biblical criticism it would be possible for you to distinguish between what the biblical author intends for you to know and what literary devices he uses to convey that knowledge, in this case the truth of the Exodus.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If you had ever read any scholar of modern biblical criticism it would be possible for you to distinguish between what the biblical author intends for you to know and what literary devices he uses to convey that knowledge, in this case the truth of the Exodus.
In Judaism, this is often referred to as "the meaning behind the words".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I remember a Rabbi commenting that a literalist reading of the Torah was to 'see only the outer garment.'
Exactly. And as a matter of fact, much of what we call "Judaism" heavy involves what is called "midrashim" (commentary) that is found in the Talmud but not restricted to just that source.