• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Amazon workers quit over harmful book on transgender people

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In a capitalist society, people have the right to read what's on offer, and nothing more.
No more or less than Soviet Russia. Uncle Sam bans something, it's gone. Local group of twits pressure a school into banning a book, capitalism isn't even involved with that one.
Though it would be nice it this one book I once checked out from Germany through an international library loan program where made available here.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm probably going to buy this book to support freedom of speech.

"Target briefly stopped selling the book following criticism online, but made it available for purchase again a day later.

Amazon suspended a paid advertising campaign for the book just as it was being published. Amazon claimed that this was because the book "infers or claims to diagnose, treat, or question sexual orientation."

A petition to have two copies of the book removed from Halifax Public Library was launched in April 2021. The library refused, citing intellectual freedom and stating that removal would constitute censorship. Following the library's refusal to remove the book, Halifax Pride severed ties with the library.

On July 15, 2021, the American Booksellers Association, a non-profit trade association that promotes independent bookstores, issued an apology for distributing the book, calling the decision to do so a "harmful act"."

Outrageous.
You can buy it on eBay. I looked it up a few days ago.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
How can anyone read something that is not available in any kind of society?
Indeed, as you correctly observe, in a capitalist society, "on offer for sale" and "available" are synonymous.
After all, why should anybody be allowed to read books other than those currently on the market?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Indeed, as you correctly observe, in a capitalist society, "on offer for sale" and "available" are synonymous.
After all, why should anybody be allowed to read books other than those currently on the market?
In most capitalist societies there are many books available that are not for sale. That's why we have libraries and archives, isn't it?

As for non-capitalist societies, most of those have not been exactly famous for allowing uncensored access to books.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
In most capitalist societies there are many books available that are not for sale. That's why we have libraries and archives, isn't it?
Public libraries and archives are indeed in opposition to the capitalist ethos, which is why they have been consistently underfunded and undermined by oppressive IP practices.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Public libraries and archives are indeed in opposition to the capitalist ethos, which is why they have been consistently underfunded and undermined by oppressive IP practices.
What oppressive IP practices undermine libraries?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then what kind of society encourages unlimited reading?
It seems a reflection of how shallow people have gotten, because there are some complaints of various forms of media being strictly and only major labels, big publishers, and absolutely nothing independent, local, and free. It's really there, but society is getting too distracted by all the flashing lights and loud sounds.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems a reflection of how shallow people have gotten, because there are some complaints of various forms of media being strictly and only major labels, big publishers, and absolutely nothing independent, local, and free. It's really there, but society is getting too distracted by all the flashing lights and loud sounds.

I think a lot of it is what one exposes themselves to.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
One where books and other print media are freely available to the public.

I believe that's the ideal, but I'm not sure if any form of government(other than some kind of totalitarian regime) explicitly forbids this. The surrounding culture kinda comes into play.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I believe that's the ideal, but I'm not sure if any form of government(other than some kind of totalitarian regime) explicitly forbids this. The surrounding culture kinda comes into play.
Indeed - in theory, nothing prevents Amazon from giving away books; it certainly wouldn't put much of a dent in Bezos' mountain of money. In this sense, we can hold them culpable in preventing such things from happening.

Fallen Prophet

Amazon workers quit over sale of book framing transgender identity as mental illness

Long article but apparently Amazon has a policy against publishing misinformation on LGBT+ people, but allowed one book to slide. As a result, some Amazon workers have decided to petition, and two have decided to quit.

I support these Amazon workers. They should be able to work in a safe, comfortable environment, and if they aren't getting that at their jobs due to their employer selling these books and them working for an employer that does, I'm prone to think they can find a better job elsewhere.
Who determines what is or is not accurate information about LGBT+ people?

Fallen Prophet

Science, facts, and first hand experience, usually.
Who determines what is or is not "accurate science"? Or that the facts are actually the facts? And all first-hand experience is subjective.

I haven't read this book - but people are free to print what they want.

Amazon is not our arbiter of truth. I don't need an Amazon filter for my information.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Who determines what is or is not "accurate science"? Or that the facts are actually the facts? And all first-hand experience is subjective.
That's not something anybody could answer in a single forum post. I would suggesting starting with the Wikipedia article on the Scientific consensus and going from there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus

As for first hand experience being subjective, that's correct, but it also serves as a direct source (and, arguably, the only possible one) of what being an LGBTQ person is actually like.

I haven't read this book - but people are free to print what they want.
That's not actually true and never has been.
For example, in most of the capitalist world there exists something called copyright that specifices who actually has the right to print what. The Berne Convention is another such instance of regulating who is allowed to print what material.

Fallen Prophet

That's not something anybody could answer in a single forum post. I would suggesting starting with the Wikipedia article on the Scientific consensus and going from there:

Scientists sharing their opinions decide the facts?
As for first hand experience being subjective, that's correct, but it also serves as a direct source (and, arguably, the only possible one) of what being an LGBTQ person is actually like.
And they have a special right to never have their views challenged?
That's not actually true and never has been.
For example, in most of the capitalist world there exists something called copyright that specifices who actually has the right to print what. The Berne Convention is another such instance of regulating who is allowed to print what material.
Let's try to stay within the context of the topic at hand - copyright has nothing to do with this.

People have the right to make their own analysis - write their own opinions - and sell them to whoever wishes to buy them.