1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twelve Women 'Ordained' as Catholic Priests

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Tigress, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Tigress

Tigress Working-Class W*nch.

Ratings:
    +187
    Twelve Women 'Ordained' as Catholic Priests[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

By Ann Rodgers, Religion News Service
    Courtesy of Beliefnet

--------------------------

[/FONT] PITTSBURGH, August 1 -- Vested in white albs, and ultimately donning brilliantly colored silk stoles, 12 women were ordained Monday (July 31) as deacons and priests aboard a riverboat here by a group that claims they are valid Roman Catholic ordinations.

After the ritual, the eight who had been proclaimed priests by the group Roman Catholic Womenpriests danced and sang "We Are Chosen," holding hands with their female bishops. More than 350 guests cheered and applauded.

The Diocese of Pittsburgh, however, has declared that none of the ordinations is legitimate, and warned that those involved have excommunicated themselves.

"This is both a political and a sacramental action," said Patricia Fresen, one of three co-consecrators. She says she was ordained a bishop in secret by an active Roman Catholic bishop in Europe. Continue...

2. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic

That pretty much tells me all I need to know.

3. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +5,273
    Religion:
    Pi π
    I don't know what's all the fuss about.

No where does it say in the gospels that only men are allow to do ministry.

Why do people fuss over about women priests or bishops?

Most of them would probably say traditions or customs, but no one said traditions or customs were laws anyway.

4. Booko

Booko Deviled Hen

Ratings:
    +1,369
    I don't have any dog in this fight, as my religion has no clergy and one of its principles is the equality of men and women.

That said, I really don't see the point of belonging to a religious organization, knowing its laws and how it works, and deciding to just make up your own.

If you really can't live with the rules -- why remain?

I'm with Victor on this one.

5. MaddLlama

MaddLlama Obstructor of justice

Ratings:
    +765
    It sounds like a good cause for within the Church, but I do have to question thier method and motive - it just seems like the beginning of a "Goddess-Spirituality" break off like the episcopalian's had a few years ago. Not that I don't think the church would do well to be a little bit more sensitive to the feminine, but I think this may not be the best way to get your message out.

6. Booko

Booko Deviled Hen

Ratings:
    +1,369
    I would imagine it might be divisive as well, just as the Episcopalian's were divided over the issue. The thing is, I think the Episcopalians would've gotten to women priests anyway in time, just through persuasion, prayer and study anyway. Sure I understand the impatience, but it only served to divide people.

Here no doubt I show my bias, having been raised in a Protestant denomination where churches splilt up everytime the Consistory got a fart crosswise :eek:, but one of the things I've always admired about the RCC and the Orthodox was their ability to have a diversity of opinion and, in time, get to a consensus and *stay together*.

• Like Like x 1
  7. !Fluffy!

!Fluffy! Lacking Common Sense

Ratings:
    +331
    I wonder what the heck they base their claims on.

I agree with ML, not the best way to get their message out.

8. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    What in the world are you talking about MaddLlama?

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]

[/FONT]

9. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Maybe they should try this?

1 In the year that the supreme commander, sent by Sargon king of Assyria, came to Ashdod and attacked and captured it- 2 at that time the LORD spoke through Isaiah son of Amoz. He said to him, "Take off the sackcloth from your body and the sandals from your feet." And he did so, going around stripped and barefoot. (Isaiah 20)

10. Smoke

Smoke Done here.

Ratings:
    +3,252
    I'm not completely unsympathetic to these women, but this seems a very odd approach to take. If I understand this correctly, they have ceased to be Roman Catholics and have entered into the Independent Catholic movement, even if they choose to call themselves Roman Catholics -- and there are already plenty of Independent Catholics who ordain women. If they deny the authority of the Vatican to rule on this, why would they want to be Roman Catholics, anyway?

11. Bishka

Bishka Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,487
    To prove a point, to get publicity, etc.

12. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Why, the nerve of those uppity women!

13. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    For goodness sake!

14. !Fluffy!

!Fluffy! Lacking Common Sense

Ratings:
    +331
    :confused:

15. MaddLlama

Ratings:
    +765
    This:

Which was very similar to this incident:

http://www.challengeonline.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=119

16. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,920
    Sounds like our UU tradition of the Gathering of the Waters. Maybe these ladies should just convert to UU. :)

17. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hi ML, Thank you for the clarification. I would still be interested in the source for the first story, but it's not a big deal. But is it really so outlandish and shocking that these women performed this ceremony?

I do not know a lot about our new Bishop but from the full context of the homily in which she referred to Mother Jesus, I think I'm going to like her.

I would also like to say that I find it very intresting that the overwhelming response to the 'ordination' of the Catholic women by people on this forum is that it is shocking or rude and uncalled for. I also think it is very interesting how it is then compared unfavorably to the work done by the Holy Spirit in the Episcopal Church, THE ONLY MAINLINE CHURCH TO HAVE CONSECRATED A GAY BISHOP, for those of you who have an interest in these things. The consecration of Gene Robinson was done prayerfully, and with the support of the Church, yet still it has caused an uproar. Instead of a few uppity women pushing the envelope, it was the entire Episcopal Church USA pushing the envelope of the Anglican Communion.

Change is upsetting because we fear. Things that are different and challenge the status quo are upsetting because we fear.

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you."

respectfully,
    lunamoth

18. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    My point is that, whether you agree with it or not, you can't disregard the message in spite of not liking the way the message is presented. Prophets are not typically people you invite over for dinner, and what they do and say is not always considered 'polite.'

Are these women prophets? Only time will tell.

19. MaddLlama

Ratings:
    +765
    I'm not opposed to women in the Clergy for any Christian denomination. I just think that if these women want to gain the respect for thier cause of equal rights to this position they should be respecting the institution of the Church as well - reform doesn't come all at once, and asking for acceptance of women into Catholic Clergy while at the same time presenting a "feminine alternative" to God isn't going to help them get thier message heard. I would personally like to see women become "legally" ordained in the RCC. I was raised a Catholic and it's something that's always bothered me. But, these women also don't seem to respect the teachings of the church, which makes me question why they want to be ordained in the first place.
    I'm also not saying that I completely oppose the idea that even within the church God can be mother and father, I just don't think that using the methods and words of feminine/Goddess spirituality movement (that is seen as a witchcraft cult by the church) is going help them hear that message either.

The first story that I linked about the women in the boat? That came directly from the OP, which is why I didn't post the link again.

20. MaddLlama

Ratings:
    +765
    Are you suggesting that an army of angry naked Catholic women invade the Vatican?

Hey, I'm game.:D