• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twelve refugees found frozen to death near Turkey-Greece border

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Tragedy sparks war of words after Turkish interior minister accuses Greece of deliberately sending people back after stripping them of clothes.
The partially clothed bodies of 12 people have been found inside Turkey close to the border with Greece, after they apparently froze to death.
Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu posted blurred images on Twitter showing the bodies lying by the roadside near the northwestern border town of Ipsala with some wearing only shorts and T-shirts despite the cold.
He said the 12 were part of a larger group that had been “pushed back” by Greece.
“12 of the 22 migrants pushed back by Greek Border Units… have frozen to death,” Soylu wrote in English, saying they had been stripped of clothes and shoes. Temperatures in the area can fall to between two and three degrees Celsius (35.6 – 37.4 Fahrenheit) at night in late January and early February.
He accused Greek border guards of thuggish behaviour and said the European Union was “weak” and inhumane.
Greece’s Migration Minister Notis Mitarachi said the deaths were a “tragedy”, but that Turkey’s version of events was “false propaganda”.
“These migrants never made it to the border. Any suggestion they did, or indeed were pushed back into Turkey is utter nonsense,” Mitarachi said.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said it was “horrified” by the reported deaths.
The UN refugee agency estimates that more than 2,500 people died or went missing at sea as they tried to reach Europe from North Africa and Turkey last year.
Full article here:

This was the worst kind of tragedy, the preventable kind. The Erdogan regime seemingly desperate to try and turn this into some kind of propaganda victory, but none of the authorities involved come out looking good, the EU and its horrid "Fortress Europe" strategy of refugee management least of them all.

As the statistic excerpt I posted at the end shows, this is hardly the first time that people have been left to die at the EU border, and it is very unlikely to be the last. I can only hope that stories like this one are starting to get more traction in European mainstream media, just to bring to people's attention where the xenophobic policies they all support actually lead.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It is terrible!

Were they stripped of clothes by Greek border police?

It is a deeply depressing story. :(

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Freezing to death is terrible, which I have had frostbite before, and hate winter, so this is terrible to think every year it is someone's fate.

My Dad said Minnesota is ranked the worst winter of any state. Yet all year round I have seen people here living in tents. I could not imagine.

If Greek police stripped people of their clothing that is sick , cruel, and wrong.

On the same token though, immigration from countries that have a culture or Religion hostile to European culture , dress code, and traditions, and nations which have repeatedly throughout history attacked Europeans violently (Ottoman Turkish Empire and Moors for example) with an obvious agenda to conquer Europe, can be a threat.

I'm not in any way saying what was done here is justified or okay at all. But it is a very complicated matter.

74x12

Full article here:

This was the worst kind of tragedy, the preventable kind. The Erdogan regime seemingly desperate to try and turn this into some kind of propaganda victory, but none of the authorities involved come out looking good, the EU and its horrid "Fortress Europe" strategy of refugee management least of them all.

As the statistic excerpt I posted at the end shows, this is hardly the first time that people have been left to die at the EU border, and it is very unlikely to be the last. I can only hope that stories like this one are starting to get more traction in European mainstream media, just to bring to people's attention where the xenophobic policies they all support actually lead.

Although it's a definite tragedy and I think both Greece and Turkey might be held to some blame for it. Yet, you might be ignoring the bitter enmity between Turkey and Greece. They're always about one or two steps away from outright warfare. So accepting allegations from Turkey about Greece such as this is not realistic.

amorphous_constellation

Freezing to death is terrible, which I have had frostbite before, and hate winter, so this is terrible to think every year it is someone's fate.

My Dad said Minnesota is ranked the worst winter of any state. Yet all year round I have seen people here living in tents. I could not imagine.

Yeah wisconsin is pretty intense with that as well. I think it was -10 F last week. I suppose those folks in the tents must have really good gear, tents and sleeping bags with substantial cold temp ratings. I was looking over some of that gear myself in case I might need it at some point. I think if my brother comes back around here, I'm thinking of ditching this place.. I'm not going to live around his anger. It's not very encouraging to read that those poor souls in Turkey died when it was in the 30's. I guess hypothermia can set in at even higher temperatures than that as well

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Although it's a definite tragedy and I think both Greece and Turkey might be held to some blame for it. Yet, you might be ignoring the bitter enmity between Turkey and Greece. They're always about one or two steps away from outright warfare. So accepting allegations from Turkey about Greece such as this is not realistic.
What allegiations? That 12 people are frozen dead? That's not an allegiation, that's fact.

74x12

What allegiations? That 12 people are frozen dead? That's not an allegiation, that's fact.
Yes, and where are they dead? In Turkish territory. Since these refugees died in Turkish territory there should be questions for Turkish authorities.

And I meant the allegation that the Greek authorities took their clothes. I just don't believe it without proof.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Yes, and where are they dead? In Turkish territory. Since these refugees died in Turkish territory there should be questions for Turkish authorities.
Oh, absolutely, and with the way the current Turkish government is set up, I am fairly certain that there won't be any.