• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twelve Names of Gaṇeśa

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Just recently, while browsing the Padma Purāṇa, I came across a chapter that mentions 12 names of Gaṇeśa that can be recited as a hymn or invoked.

In the verse that introduces the hymn, Vyāsa says,

'I shall tell you the hymn containing his twelve names (in honour) of him. The mantra is: "Om, salutation to Gaṇapati."' (Pad. Pur. 1.63.28)​

Then, he goes on to explain when to recite it and what its benefits are:

'He, who, after getting up in the morning recites these twelve names of him . . . would have the entire universe under his control and would never meet with any difficulty. Great evil spirits become calm; he is not troubled by diseases; being free from all sins, he eternally obtains (i.e. lives in) heaven.' (Pad. Pur. 1.63.30-31)​

The Sanskrit word translated above as 'morning,' prātaḥ, apparently means 'dawn' or 'early morning.'

The 12 names are listed in verses 29-30. I have transliterated them into English according to IAST:

01. Gaṇapati ('Ruler of the Multitude')
02. Vighnarāja ('King of Obstacles')
03. Lambatuṇḍa ('Long Trunk' or 'Dangling Trunk')
04. Gajānana ('Elephant Face')
05. Dvaimātura ('Having Two Mothers')
06. Heramba ('Protector of the Weak')
07. Ekadanta ('Single Tusk')
08. Gaṇādhipa ('Lord of the Multitude')
09. Vināyaka ('Leader')
10. Cārukarṇa ('Lovely Ears' or 'Agreeable Ears')
11. Paśupāla ('Guardian of Animals' or 'Guardian of Souls')
12. Bhavātmaja ('Excellent Son' or 'Son of Bhava/Śiva')

As well, I have written the names the way they may be invoked:

Oṃ Gaṇapataye namaḥ
Oṃ Vighnarājāya namaḥ
Oṃ Lambatuṇḍāya namaḥ
Oṃ Gajānanāya namaḥ
Oṃ Dvaimāturāya namaḥ
Oṃ Herambāya namaḥ
Oṃ Ekadantāya namaḥ
Oṃ Gaṇādhipāya namaḥ
Oṃ Vināyakāya namaḥ
Oṃ Cārukarṇāya namaḥ
Oṃ Paśupālāya namaḥ
Oṃ Bhavātmajāya namaḥ

I hope this post is helpful and a cause of blessings to those who are interested in using the content. If there are any errors, please let me know. Have you any comments? I look forward to them. :)

Works Cited​

The Padma Purana. Translated by N. A. Deshpande, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, 1951. Wisdom Library, wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/the-padma-purana.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've occasionally been curious as to how all the variances came about. There are variances on the astottaram (108 names) but I'm not sure about the sahasranama (1008). A few priests I know recite astottaram, but I've only seen them read the sahasranama. Recitation in puja has long been used. For simple prayer, like before I start the car each time, I just use the Ganapati Gayatri.

Regardless, the chanting of a series of names for any deity is one way to go.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I've occasionally been curious as to how all the variances came about.

I am currently curious about it. At the moment, I think the variances might be due to different scriptures as well as different versions of the same scriptures, and the influence of holy persons. The Drik Panchang website has a page for the 12 Names of Gaṇeśa, and only three of the names are found in the passage that I used in my post above. Too bad they don't provide the source of their list.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am currently curious about it. At the moment, I think the variances might be due to different scriptures as well as different versions of the same scriptures, and the influence of holy persons. The Drik Panchang website has a page for the 12 Names of Gaṇeśa, and only three of the names are found in the passage that I used in my post above. Too bad they don't provide the source of their list.

Well if you find sources for varying astottarams, I'd be interested. I use one, and sometimes I hear it at temples, (I try to follow along silently) but other times it'll be the same for same for maybe the first 20, then switch off. Still other times it's totally different.

This is the one I use, with 2 or 3 changes. https://www.timesnownews.com/spirit...108-names-of-lord-vinayaka-during-puja/640480

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Just recently, while browsing the Padma Purāṇa, I came across a chapter that mentions 12 names of Gaṇeśa that can be recited as a hymn or invoked.

In the verse that introduces the hymn, Vyāsa says,

'I shall tell you the hymn containing his twelve names (in honour) of him. The mantra is: "Om, salutation to Gaṇapati."' (Pad. Pur. 1.63.28)​

Then, he goes on to explain when to recite it and what its benefits are:

'He, who, after getting up in the morning recites these twelve names of him . . . would have the entire universe under his control and would never meet with any difficulty. Great evil spirits become calm; he is not troubled by diseases; being free from all sins, he eternally obtains (i.e. lives in) heaven.' (Pad. Pur. 1.63.30-31)​

The Sanskrit word translated above as 'morning,' prātaḥ, apparently means 'dawn' or 'early morning.'

The 12 names are listed in verses 29-30. I have transliterated them into English according to IAST:

01. Gaṇapati ('Ruler of the Multitude')
02. Vighnarāja ('King of Obstacles')
03. Lambatuṇḍa ('Long Trunk' or 'Dangling Trunk')
04. Gajānana ('Elephant Face')
05. Dvaimātura ('Having Two Mothers')
06. Heramba ('Protector of the Weak')
07. Ekadanta ('Single Tusk')
08. Gaṇādhipa ('Lord of the Multitude')
09. Vināyaka ('Leader')
10. Cārukarṇa ('Lovely Ears' or 'Agreeable Ears')
11. Paśupāla ('Guardian of Animals' or 'Guardian of Souls')
12. Bhavātmaja ('Excellent Son' or 'Son of Bhava/Śiva')

As well, I have written the names the way they may be invoked:

Oṃ Gaṇapataye namaḥ
Oṃ Vighnarājāya namaḥ
Oṃ Lambatuṇḍāya namaḥ
Oṃ Gajānanāya namaḥ
Oṃ Dvaimāturāya namaḥ
Oṃ Herambāya namaḥ
Oṃ Ekadantāya namaḥ
Oṃ Gaṇādhipāya namaḥ
Oṃ Vināyakāya namaḥ
Oṃ Cārukarṇāya namaḥ
Oṃ Paśupālāya namaḥ
Oṃ Bhavātmajāya namaḥ

I hope this post is helpful and a cause of blessings to those who are interested in using the content. If there are any errors, please let me know. Have you any comments? I look forward to them. :)

Works Cited​

The Padma Purana. Translated by N. A. Deshpande, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, 1951. Wisdom Library, wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/the-padma-purana.

I remember reading this... way back when I first found my way into Hinduism. I didn't know beans about it yet, other than it was where I was headed. I felt drawn to keep Sankashti Chaturthi vrat, and I did get up at dawn to bathe and repeat his 12 names, and did so again after nightfall, along with doing a puja and making modak to offer. I actually came across the notes I had written in order to do the puja to the best of my ability; including these names.

Its a pleasant memory. :)