• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twelve Films That Highlight the Best in Humanity

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No mention of Gattaca? <-- Perseverance pursuing a dream
Groundhog day? <-- Improving oneself
Aliens <--- Conquering threats
Pish posh!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I saw almost none of those, but would include It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, Forrest Gump, The Fisher King, Coco, My Cousin Vinny, and Regarding Henry in my personal list.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I believe the list was for films released in the previous year - that is why some BIG ones may have been left out. It's al a matter of personal taste anyway - what floats my boat may not do anything much for someone with different tastes!

Enjoy your browsing.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I've seen Parasite and was underwhelmed. Not exactly uplifting as I recall. The rest I've not heard of.

Don't listen to these two plebs - they probably were watching with German subtitles. :D

From Wiki:

Parasite premiered at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival on 21 May 2019, where it became the first Korean film to win its top prize, the Palme d'Or. It was released in South Korea by CJ Entertainment on 30 May. Many critics consider it one of 2019's best films, and one of the greatest of the 21st century. It grossed over $263 million worldwide on a $15.5 million budget. Among its numerous accolades, Parasite won a leading four awards at the 92nd Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film, becoming the first non English-language film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. It is the first South Korean film to receive any Academy Award recognition, and one of only three to win both the Palme d'Or and the Academy Award for Best Picture, the first such achievement in over 60 years. It won the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film and the BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language, and became the first non English-language film to win the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Don't listen to these two plebs - they probably were watching with German subtitles. :D

From Wiki:

Parasite premiered at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival on 21 May 2019, where it became the first Korean film to win its top prize, the Palme d'Or. It was released in South Korea by CJ Entertainment on 30 May. Many critics consider it one of 2019's best films, and one of the greatest of the 21st century. It grossed over $263 million worldwide on a $15.5 million budget. Among its numerous accolades, Parasite won a leading four awards at the 92nd Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film, becoming the first non English-language film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. It is the first South Korean film to receive any Academy Award recognition, and one of only three to win both the Palme d'Or and the Academy Award for Best Picture, the first such achievement in over 60 years. It won the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film and the BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language, and became the first non English-language film to win the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.
I wonder if the four other people in the cinema were as impressed?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

From Wiki:

Ich habe den Film auf English gesehen.
Es wahr nicht so interessant.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Opinions will vary.
But I just didn't find Parasite as compelling as did the critics.
Well it wasn't so long ago that it appeared on UK TV but I can't remember much of it apart from definitely liking it - probably from the plot aspects and surprises in it as much as the acting and such.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Opinions will vary.
But I just didn't find Parasite as compelling as did the critics.
I only went to see it because of the rave reviews. Takes all sorts. And I certainly don't see it as highlighting the best of humanity. I found it rather bleak. (For @Mock Turtle ) , here's some more from Wiki:

"Weeks later, Ki-woo is recovering from a brain operation. He and Chung-sook are convicted of fraud and put on probation. Ki-jung has died from her injuries, and Ki-taek, wanted by the authorities, cannot be found. Geun-sae is assumed to be an insane homeless man, and neither his nor Ki-taek's motive for the murders are known. Ki-woo spies on the Parks’ home, now occupied by a German family unaware of its history, and sees a message in Morse code from a flickering light. Ki-taek, who escaped into the bunker, has buried Moon-gwang in the garden and sends the message every day, hoping Ki-woo will see it."

I've been more uplifted at funerals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well it wasn't so long ago that it appeared on UK TV but I can't remember much of it apart from definitely liking it - probably from the plot aspects and surprises in it as much as the acting and such.
Perhaps my extreme distaste for grifters
& parasites interferes with appreciating
such movies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I only went to see it because of the rave reviews. Takes all sorts. And I certainly don't see it as highlighting the best of humanity. I found it rather bleak. (For @Mock Turtle ) , here's some more from Wiki:

"Weeks later, Ki-woo is recovering from a brain operation. He and Chung-sook are convicted of fraud and put on probation. Ki-jung has died from her injuries, and Ki-taek, wanted by the authorities, cannot be found. Geun-sae is assumed to be an insane homeless man, and neither his nor Ki-taek's motive for the murders are known. Ki-woo spies on the Parks’ home, now occupied by a German family unaware of its history, and sees a message in Morse code from a flickering light. Ki-taek, who escaped into the bunker, has buried Moon-gwang in the garden and sends the message every day, hoping Ki-woo will see it."

I'd forgotten those details.
Ugh.
Thank you for reminding me.

It reminds me of the movie Crash (2004).
It had a theme....but it was delivered in
a ham-fisted way that I found tedious,
obvious, clumsy, & grindingly preachy.
One of the worst movies I'd ever seen.
Critics loved it, of course.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I was a bit surprised to see it in the list too. :oops: