• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV commercials getting stupider and stupider

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
By hijacking and co-opting rock or pop songs. I don't mean using the originals like Chevy did with Bob Seger's Like A Rock or Cadillac with Led Zeppelin's Rock 'n Roll.

I mean this abomination, which makes me want to hurt myself when I see and hear it:

Here's the original:

And then we have a runner up for Abomination of the Year, or maybe it's even worse than GMC's:

The original:

Why, why, why oh why!?

WalterTrull

Godfella
My favorites are the "fragrance" commercials. Whenever I see a commercial that makes absolutely no sense, I know the last frame will be of a fragrance logo (for men or women).

PureX

Veteran Member
Commercials don't really work on smart people. In fact, smart people don't even see many of them. Which is why I think they are being tailored to their audience. If you want to sell a stupid product, you need a stupid buyer. Commercials work better on stupid people, so the commercials are designed to appeal to them.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Commercials don't really work on smart people. In fact, smart people don't even see many of them. Which is why I think they are being tailored to their audience. If you want to sell a stupid product, you need a stupid buyer. Commercials work better on stupid people, so the commercials are designed to appeal to them.

Y'know, that thought has repeatedly crossed my mind. I'm not the brightest oil lamp at Diwali, but most commercials make me say "so many innocent brain cells were just killed".

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We had an Alero. It was a good car. The commercials are to be filed under Stupid also.

I believe some commercials backfire, chasing buyers away, just as overt proselytizing in religion could backfire. Depends on potential victim I suppose. As PureX said, smart people aren't affected. Smart people research products, buy tried and true, and a few other things. It's not even that smart.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe some commercials backfire, chasing buyers away

Like when I've said I wouldn't buy something, watch a tv show or see a movie just on the principle that the commercial or trailer insulted my intelligence.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Like when I've said I wouldn't buy something, watch a tv show or see a movie just on the principle that the commercial or trailer insulted my intelligence.
There is also sheep mentality. Personal observation, but there sure seems to be a lot of it. There is a certain fast food / coffee chain here in Canuckistan that gets a boat load of business. People will wait in their car in a line-up at the drive through for 20 minutes despite there being better coffee or food across the street. Average consumer is your deepa light not lit.

Audie

Veteran Member
My favorites are the "fragrance" commercials. Whenever I see a commercial that makes absolutely no sense, I know the last frame will be of a fragrance logo (for men or women).

My Mom pointed out that men don't wear perfume. Not
sure where you are going with this.

Audie

Veteran Member
There is also sheep mentality. Personal observation, but there sure seems to be a lot of it. There is a certain fast food / coffee chain here in Canuckistan that gets a boat load of business. People will wait in their car in a line-up at the drive through for 20 minutes despite there being better coffee or food across the street. Average consumer is your deepa light not lit.

This may be so for food*, but dont tell me is true of my LV or Chanel!

* and then only in beaver countfy

WalterTrull

Godfella
My Mom pointed out that men don't wear perfume. Not
sure where you are going with this.
Well maybe not REAL men.
Here's a few for the others from a quick Google
Nautica Voyage Eau de Toilette Spray for Men
Pheromones For Men Pheromone Cologne [Attract Women] - Bold, Extra Strength
Human Pheromones...
Davidoff Cool Water Edt Spray for Men, 6.7 oz
Dolce and Gabbana The One EDT for Men,
and
Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger for Men
Lots and lots more, but I think this'll do.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well maybe not REAL men.
Here's a few for the others from a quick Google
Nautica Voyage Eau de Toilette Spray for Men
Pheromones For Men Pheromone Cologne [Attract Women] - Bold, Extra Strength
Human Pheromones...
Davidoff Cool Water Edt Spray for Men, 6.7 oz
Dolce and Gabbana The One EDT for Men,
and
Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger for Men
Lots and lots more, but I think this'll do.

I quoted her accurate statement, but
no italics ("men") could possibly convey
the disdain in her voice.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Come now. Hermes? Gucci? Prada?
Hermes: Could it be a thermometer company?

Gucci, looks like an alternate spelling of Gucky. Perhaps a baby clean up product?

Prada, makes me think of Parades. Something for the gay segment of the population?

Was I close?