• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn the Other Cheek

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a distinct difference between being peaceful and being a pacifist. I am peaceful but I'm definitely not a pacifist. If I have to I'll beat the crap out of you with my peace beads.

I like this distinction. I generally find absolute pacifism naive and, in the case of something like Gandhi's belief that Jews should have succumbed to Nazis, toxic and dangerous.

taykair

A related thought comes from Paul:

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. (Romans. Chapter 12. Verse 20. KJV)

On the surface, this would seem to be saying:

Do good things for people who hate you. That'll really pi$$ them off.

Sounds more passive-agressive than pacifist to me.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
in my old neighborhood.....I have been approached....and struck
as if to knock me down with the first blow
by total strangers I never met before

almost lost an eye over that crap

but I stand my ground and look that guy in the face....even as my eye swells shut

and no one ever struck twice

must be my ugly mug that makes them stop

BUT.....I don't suggest this as a practice unless you are UP for it
could be dangerous

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and the first time the Carpenter spoke in congregation......they turned on Him
they took Him to a 'high place' as if to throw Him down

He turned on them and walked back through the crowd
AND no one was able to lay hand on Him

not all scripture reports that incident in that way.....different books read differently

but I can see it.....as would any martial artist
Jesus was NOT a whimp

4consideration

Premium Member
I think the teaching of turning the other cheek was regarding having internal strength, and not allowing someone to goad one into escalating violence over an insult.

A slap on the cheek is more of an insult to the ego than a danger to the person.

I question the motive of a person (as likely to attack, in some way) that tells Christians this teaching means Christians should not defend themselves from serious harm.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think the teaching of turning the other cheek was regarding having internal strength, and not allowing someone to goad one into escalating violence over an insult.

A slap on the cheek is more of an insult to the ego than a danger to the person.

I question the motive of a person (as likely to attack, in some way) that tells Christians this teaching means Christians should not defend themselves from serious harm.
ok.....little things are little things.....but....

the Carpenter said....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

He said this while looking the Pharisees ....in the face
and from that hour forward they sought to have Him dead

He had quoted gentile law
the golden rule was cut in stone a thousand years before Him
but not the work of Moses

He turned and walked away
but the Pharisees did not turn the other cheek
they wanted Him dead

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is a distinct difference between being peaceful and being a pacifist. I am peaceful but I'm definitely not a pacifist. If I have to I'll beat the crap out of you with my peace beads.
Aye, the term "non-aggressionist" appeals to me.
Hence my being a gun tote'n draft dodger.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I think you are right. Learning to navigate this terrain requires being able to take a step back, observe where the current road is leading (sometimes you need a map) and turn off or go back if the apparent destination is not desirable. Unfortunately, if you're traveling with a cheering crowd, that can be very difficult.

Jeremiah Ames

If every single person followed the teachings of the Lord, then the concept of turning the other cheek would be moot.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
A related thought comes from Paul:

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. (Romans. Chapter 12. Verse 20. KJV)

On the surface, this would seem to be saying:

Do good things for people who hate you. That'll really pi$$ them off.

Sounds more passive-agressive than pacifist to me.
That is a great one to mention, and Paul is alluding to a scripture. The burning coals are probably referring to a purification which burns away corruption. They are a symbol from the books of prophecies. Paul's phrase "give him drink" seems like allusion to 2 Kings 6:21-23 in which an enemy is pacified with food and drink. The peaceful act has a goal of purification of the enemy and transformation into a peaceful neighbor. When he hungers feed him, and when he's thirsty give him drink. Paul is saying that in some cases doing what the enemy least expects (giving him food) creates an atonement.

There are instances where this has also worked in history, such as with war reparations in Europe. If you compare the end of WWI with the end of WWII you can see a difference. The allies who won WWI were strict and punishing in their treaty, and the result was another war. The allies of WWII learned from that mistake and were generous instead and helped to rebuild.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If every single person followed the teachings of the Lord, then the concept of turning the other cheek would be moot.
Individual people & sects interpret those
teachings differently, not all without violence.
So I'd still be wary of them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
and.....Jesus was NOT a pacifist.
The Second Coming Of Christ And The Annihilation Of The Armies
As the armies of the world are engaged in struggle for power throughout the Holy Land and in the very act of sacking the city of Jerusalem, the glory of the Lord appears in heaven and the majestic procession pictured in Revelation 19:11-16 takes place. At the head of the procession is Christ, described as riding on a white horse coming to judge and make war. His eyes are as a flame of fire and on His head are many crowns. His vesture is dipped in blood. Accompanying Him are the armies of heaven also riding on white horses and clothed in fine linen. In verse 15 it is stated of Christ, “Out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.”
In contrast to His lowly birth in Bethlehem where He was laid in a manger, this advent is the triumphant King of kings and Lord of lords coming to claim the world for which He died and over which He is now going to exercise His sovereign authority in absolute power. The verses which follow invite the fowls of the earth to feed upon the carnage of the flesh of kings and mighty men and of their horses (Revelation 19:18).

13. Armageddon And The Second Coming Of Christ

Seems the Second Coming will be that of a warrior.

Same sort of thing with love thy enemy.

Many belief systems (Christianity, Buddhism, Stoicism, etc.) had strong currents of achieving inner freedom. You cannot control the world, but you can control how you respond to it and the degree to which you let it affect you.

For example Marcus Aurelius:

It is peculiar to man to love even those who do wrong. And this happens, if when they do wrong it occurs to thee that they are kinsmen, and that they do wrong through ignorance and unintentionally, and that soon both of you will die; and above all, that the wrong-doer has done thee no harm, for he has not made thy ruling faculty worse than it was before.